Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Anyone has a diplomatic passport? What does it do for you?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone has a diplomatic passport? What does it do for you?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2014, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Diplomatic status is not a get out of jail free card. And countries -- under political/public pressure -- have discarded their diplomat's own immunity on more than one occassion.
It was in Lethal Weapon!
Old Mar 20, 2014, 5:41 am

Programs: EK Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by ironmanjt
+1 - and fair to note that the majority of countries require visas in the UNLP, far more than require visas in European or North American national passports...so sometimes they're actually LESS convenient to travel on.
Absolutely right. As a general rule, if you are travelling into Europe or North America it is far easier to use a national passport - in fact my US G4 visa is in my national passport, not my UNLP. UNLPs are accepted in the UK without a visa but trust me, the immigration people are very wary of them!

Originally Posted by ironmanjt
Not quite...the only countries that "refuse" to accept them are the US and Russia.
I believe that in theory, any UN member state should accept them, but...

Bottom line is that some countries don't like them because they are frequently misused and some countries don't like them for more...political reasons. And the reality is that a UNLP is not valid without a national passport as the UNLP is missing one vital piece of information that every country will ask for - nationality!
Old Mar 20, 2014, 10:56 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by alpha5eight
I believe that in theory, any UN member state should accept them, but...
Should, maybe, but don't. The US and Russia refuse to issue visas in them.

Originally Posted by alpha5eight
And the reality is that a UNLP is not valid without a national passport as the UNLP is missing one vital piece of information that every country will ask for - nationality!
However, many countries will accept them without asking your nationality. Including....the Schengen.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 12:00 pm

I believe there may also be some tax exemptions - e.g. no need to pay airport tax, exit taxes, etc. Though maybe that also depends on specific treaties?
Old Mar 20, 2014, 12:04 pm

------

Last edited by ROCAT; Mar 29, 2017 at 7:34 pm
Old Jun 15, 2015, 11:37 am

my father in this case had a diplomatic passport from the us. the main purpose he was issued this was due to the fact he had a weapon and a diplomatic passport grants immunity from searches and seizures at least in this case.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 12:46 pm

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards

If you want to get away with a speeding ticket, having a car with a license plate from another country AND/or a driver's license from another country is sufficient for the government authorities who generally pursue such matters to drop the matter since it's not worth their time or within their resources to pursue such matters routinely to collect fines from an out-of-country registered car/driver.

Don't try this in France. If they stop you they will just take you to a cash machine or impound the car.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 2:04 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Worcester
Don't try this in France. If they stop you they will just take you to a cash machine or impound the car.
I was referring to "out-of-country" car/driver.

It's not sufficient in all countries when dealing with all out-of-country cars/drivers, but it's sufficient for some.

In the very post of mine from which you clipped, I said: "That said, some states -- including in the US -- and some countries mandate payment of fine before being released by the police.".

Here is the full paragraph:

If you want to get away with a speeding ticket, having a car with a license plate from another country AND/or a driver's license from another country is sufficient for the government authorities who generally pursue such matters to drop the matter since it's not worth their time or within their resources to pursue such matters routinely to collect fines from an out-of-country registered car/driver. No diplomatic immunity needed. (That said, some states -- including in the US -- and some countries mandate payment of fine before being released by the police.)
Old Sep 15, 2015, 11:53 am

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
Apparently you can drive like a psychopath along residential streets where children are coming home from school, blow through stop signs, and threaten passers-by with death if you have diplomatic immunity and are an Arab prince.

http://jalopnik.com/laferrari-asshat...hbo-1730757102
Old Sep 15, 2015, 2:14 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Wilbur
Apparently you can drive like a psychopath along residential streets where children are coming home from school, blow through stop signs, and threaten passers-by with death if you have diplomatic immunity and are an Arab prince.

Sounds like a guy who is wearing his big boss's rank.

Sovereign immunity is even more excessive than ordinary diplomatic immunity. What it must be like to be a King or Queen in the EU/Schengen area. But now that royalty thing tends to be less excessively abusive than sovereign immunity-covered exercises engaged in by big countries' non-hereditary heads of government/state.

Last edited by GUWonder; Sep 15, 2015 at 2:19 pm
Old Sep 29, 2015, 9:47 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, United Gold, Virgin Silver
diplomatic line at SFO?

On a related note, does anyone know if SFO has a diplomatic line?
Old Apr 30, 2016, 5:27 pm

I have a diplomatic passport and it doesn't mean much.

* I never got upgraded because of that and don't know anyone who was. Some airlines might upgrade diplomats, especially for new destinations. But that's pretty much a commercial consideration: you may spread good words about them since you are in some circles. The same would apply to people working for highly renowned private companies. Whether the airline's station manager in remote locations upgrades you taking into account that you are a diplomat when he/she happens to know you (in addition to FF status and whatever other considerations), will never know.

(Once when flying AZ, I witnessed an Italian MP, once he was already on board, flagging his MP credentials and demanding an upgrade. He was promptly told to sit down or he would be disembarked. Loved that !)

* Some countries, typically African countries, offer "protocol" lounges. But they are so crap, that you're better off using your FF card if you have one, or Priority Pass for a commercial lounge.

* Some countries have immigration lines for diplomats, but in my experience they don't necessarily go faster. Also, you may end the lengthy line, only to be told that it's only applicable to diplomats posted to that country.

* Can customs search your baggage ? Well, I was asked on several occasions for my baggage to be searched, and of course I duly complied. I wouldn't want to know what happens if you refuse... The only exception is countries e.g. in Africa where baggage searches are mainly intended to extort money, in which case flagging a diplomatic passport and some courtesy can help save time.

* Can security check your baggage ? Absolutely. Diplomatic privileges and immunities have nothing to do with flight safety.

* Do anything remotely illegal or stupid, and being a diplomat will mean you get not only relevant punishment, but also public embarrassment possibly including media attention.

* And of course, in most cases you can only use them for official travel -- though that will vary from issuing entity to issuing entity.
Old May 1, 2016, 8:59 am

Programs: UA gold, Hyatt Plat Marriott silver,Hilton Gold, PC Plat., SPG Gold.,Hertz Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Wilbur

There was a case where I live when a Diplomat who was drunk hit a child and her mother in a crosswalk and killed them both. He claimed immunity and laughed at the police. The State dept. asked the country to revoke his status which they did, and he got life in prison. I wonder who is laughing now.
Old May 1, 2016, 1:21 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
I was referring to "out-of-country" car/driver.

It's not sufficient in all countries when dealing with all out-of-country cars/drivers, but it's sufficient for some.

In the very post of mine from which you clipped, I said: "That said, some states -- including in the US -- and some countries mandate payment of fine before being released by the police.".

Here is the full paragraph:
Probably worth keeping in mind that you might want to treat the EU as one country for the purposes of "out-of-country" cars/drivers:
http://etsc.eu/faq-eu-cross-border-e...ent-directive/
Old Sep 25, 2016, 8:31 pm

You do get a separate line, but the process is exactly the same just a little quicker (your government can give you a "waiver" so they won't check your bags but that is rare). You are technically only supposed to use it for official business, however some host countries require you to leave and enter on you dip passport no matter what. Obtaining one does give you immunity but ONLY in the country you are in for officia business, so you could get arrested in a country you're transferring through. While entering the US on a US dip passport doesn't get you into a special line it usually gets you a warm welcome from the customs officers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.