Is Engine noise louder in the back of the plane? Front? or same all over?

Subscribe
Hi,

I am trying to pick seats on a 777 (American Airlines) and I am curious if its better to be ON the wing and have no real window view or to be just behind the wind and have a window view. The only thing that concerns me is will it be louder in seat 34A/B versus 24A/B?

Would appreciate any thoughts.

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Ame..._777-200_A.php
Engine noise is louder behind the engines, as you might expect. The 777 is one of the quieter planes and engine noise is not bad behind the wing. Using active noise cancellation headsets (easily available for USD 30, though the best such as Bose QC2 cost about USD 200) makes a big difference in the drone of the engines (even the cheapest headset would make a bigger difference than where you sit on the plane).
I've never noticed, and I've sat all over AA's 777s.

Of course, I've had my BOSE NC headsets for each and every flight, and they dramatically (I mean - REALLY) reduce airplane noises. Well worth the $300 if you travel a lot.
How bad is the noise in the rear of a 747? My wife and I are flying JFK-SYD on a Qantas 747 and will be seated all the way in the rear of the plane (2X2 seats instead of 3X3). Seatguru recommended these seats due to the configuration, but nothing was noted about the noise. Also will we potentially feel amplified turbulence effects because we will be so far away from the wings, which may act as a fulcrum?
Quote: How bad is the noise in the rear of a 747? My wife and I are flying JFK-SYD on a Qantas 747 and will be seated all the way in the rear of the plane (2X2 seats instead of 3X3). Seatguru recommended these seats due to the configuration, but nothing was noted about the noise. Also will we potentially feel amplified turbulence effects because we will be so far away from the wings, which may act as a fulcrum?
Slightly quieter than right behind the wing but not much. You should purchase some quality ear plugs for a few dollars if you, like me, don't want to shell out $300 on some QC2s. I have a pair that block 60% of the noise and cost me $10.
Quote: How bad is the noise in the rear of a 747? ... Also will we potentially feel amplified turbulence effects because we will be so far away from the wings, which may act as a fulcrum?
Definitely bring ear plugs, if you find some that fit you well and work well. (Experiment before the trip.) I find that a 747 just gets noisier the further back you go.

You're also right about the increased movement, and not just in turbulence. But at least you can comfort yourself with knowing that it'll be almost as bad for those at the very front of first class, who are at the other end of the lever.

These are the downsides to picking those rows of 2 seats at the rear of the aircraft, but they are standard disadvantages to sitting right at the back of any jet aircraft, along with the time it takes to disembark (if you're in a hurry to do so).
Thanks USA and Global! I have a set of Shure E4Cs and will have to get a set of noise reduction/cancelling earphones for my wife. I am more worried about being at the end of the lever.

USA_flyer, what kind of noise reduction phones did you get for $10? Sounds like a great deal!

Cheers!
Chet
I bought the Sony MDR-NC6 noise cancelling headphones, which I am pretty happy with. They cover up a fair amount of plane noise. I think I paid around 30 bucks for them over the summer (I see that amazon has them back up to 40, though).

That being said, I am intentially not trying out the Bose headphones for fear of getting spoiled.
ckforensic - The Shure E4cs work extremely well on a plane. Even without a NC circuit, they are quieter than the Sony MDR-NC10s and 11s earplugs I've used before. And beware of the cheaper phones including the Sony MDR-NC11. The sound quality is pretty crappy; if you're used to the Shure, those will not work.

BTW, I agree with all others that at the back of a 777 is just slightly noiser than in front. However, the difference is a lot more on a 747.
At least during takeoff and landing being on the wing can be the bumpiest part of the airplane because you're right on top of the undercarriage.

It is certainly louder in the back of a 777 but I agree with others that the noise is manageable.
I find over the wing and behind on the 777 surprisingly noisy for a modern place. One reason why the A330/A340 family is just that little bit nicer. Not - of course - that you have a choice on AA.

The 747 is a bit louder in those areas, but of course you have the lovely Upper Deck and nose to choose from.
Quote: I find over the wing and behind on the 777 surprisingly noisy for a modern place.
^ I find the 777 to be a rather 'whooshy' aircraft. I don't fly it that much out of choice and when I do it is noticeable...then I put the QC2s back on