Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Do any of youse GPS devices to track flights? Speeds? etc? Which are best?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2006, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Just curious if there are guys who use GPS antenna's/devices to track your travel and what not.

If so, what is the best ones that work in an airplane? I'd think most work without a problem being 35k+ feet up.
Old Jan 19, 2006, 12:18 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Many airlines prohibit the use of GPS devices in-flight. It does vary by airline, but be aware that you cannot just use them onboard without clearance.
Old Jan 19, 2006, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Every airline I know of bans operating radios and TVs at all times, and a GPS is a radio receiver. Which airlines ever allow them to operate?
Old Jan 19, 2006, 1:18 pm

Programs: B6, DL, UA
I would make sure you are in a window seat, at least for the cheap one I have.

I did turn it on mid flight and we were traveling at approximately 430 miles per hour. It was very strange to see a straight line streaking across half a state on the display as opposed to the usual convuluted roads that you usually drive on.

As technology keeps melding into each other I don't see how they can prohibit these items for much longer.

I look at it this way, it all comes down to business people and laptops. Airlines are making it easier for people to use laptops, and there will be GPS capability built in to new laptops.
Old Jan 19, 2006, 1:22 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
There are a number of threads on GPS use on aircraft in the Travel Technology Forum; I'd suggest searching the archive there.

http://flyertalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=169

I use my Magellan SportTrak Pro from time to time, mostly on United.
Old Jan 19, 2006, 1:33 pm

Programs: WN A List Preferred and CP, AA, IHG Spire, Hertz #1 Gold 5*, Hilton Diamond, Enterprise Platinum
Originally Posted by Flaflyer
Every airline I know of bans operating radios and TVs at all times, and a GPS is a radio receiver. Which airlines ever allow them to operate?
Southwest allows them, specifically saying so in their list of allowed and banned devices. You do need a window seat though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.