How fat can you be and still fly?

Subscribe
Wedesday morning I had a LAS -SLC- PNS schedule coming home from a meeting. I'm booked in 2A and the flight is full, flt #1824 LAS-SLT, 2B shows up after I'm all belted in and he is the fatest man that I have ever seen on an airplane in more than 40 years of flying. I'm a big guy myself, but this guy makes me look skinny. His butt was so big that he couldn't fit into the seat, he literally sat with one cheek on the center console and the other on the arm rest. He needed two seat belt extenders to get strapped in. At this point I feel like a trapped rat, he has pushed the console over 4 or 5 inches so my butt is now in a vise. We fly this way for the 1 hour flight, and when he gets up, I wasn't sure he would make it, I say a silent prayer that the torture is over. I told the FA as I left the plane "I need a rebate" all she could say is "I'm sorry".

I wish now that I had complained when we were still on the ground in LAS. I felt sorry for the guy and to some extent it was like the pot calling the kettle black, but if something had happened on the flight I'd be a dead man. Does Delta have a policy on how big is too big? Does the effected passenger, me in this case, have any rights? Thanks for listening to my rant, Robbie.
1) It depends on the size of one's wings.

2) This is not Delta specific. Delta specific would be "What is Delta's policy towards people of size?".
fyi - i am currently about 360lbs... i always book FC so as not to impeed on the other passengers.

BTW, I did learn that there are supposed to be at least 1/3 of the coach seats where the aisle armrest is supposed to lift. When I flew AF from CDG to TXL (has no fc), i made sure to book one of these seats. However when I got to the airport, I asked for a seat and she said it was only half full and awarded me 2 seats.

FYI, I need one seatbelt extender.
As big as me

Don't need any kind of extenders and fit in my seat just fine

Although some holiday cookies might push me over the edge
sounds painful
You should have complained on the ground in LAS. You said you were in row 2, I'm not sure if that was a mainline plane (first class) or a CRJ. If it was a CRJ, you have even more reason to complain.

Tell the FA that you won't be able to sit in your seat because someone else is already in it. If the FA won't do anything, keep going up the chain until someone does. You should talk to:

1. FA
2. Gate Agent
3. Supervisor
4. Complaint Resolution Officer
Quote: I felt sorry for the guy and to some extent it was like the pot calling the kettle black, but if something had happened on the flight I'd be a dead man. Does Delta have a policy on how big is too big? Does the effected passenger, me in this case, have any rights? Thanks for listening to my rant, Robbie.
Robbie2222.....welcome to FlyerTalk!!
About every couple months someone starts a fat thread and it quickly turns sour. Maybe that won’t be the case here.
On the last DL Forum fat thread I mentioned that the wrestler Andre the Giant was on one of my flights many years ago. He was 7’4” and 500+ pounds. And ugly on top of that.
He was in coach but was sitting in seats 14 A, B and C. Either he bought all three seats or else everybody was too intimidated to tell him to shove over.
Quote: You should have complained on the ground in LAS. You said you were in row 2, I'm not sure if that was a mainline plane (first class) or a CRJ. If it was a CRJ, you have even more reason to complain.
Flight 1824 is an MD-90.

Marc
Quote: Robbie2222
On the last DL Forum fat thread I mentioned that the wrestler Andre the Giant was on one of my flights many years ago. He was 7’4” and 500+ pounds. And ugly on top of that.
He was in coach but was sitting in seats 14 A, B and C. Either he bought all three seats or else everybody was too intimidated to tell him to shove over.
Robbie, to answer your question, I would think that would be too big!

Poor guy that he had to fly coach given those dimensions. But I guess even in First he would have been screwed.
Too Fat To Fly
All The Major Airlines Have Tried To Do "something" About Large Passengers. Several Have Paid The Price, 1st Being Taken To Court, 2nd All The Bad Press About Discrimination.

I Don't Think Anyone Has A Policy, Just Case By Case Best Judgement.
Quote: Robbie, to answer your question, I would think that would be too big!

Poor guy that he had to fly coach given those dimensions. But I guess even in First he would have been screwed.
You’re right. Three seats in coach was his only option. No way could he fit in a FC seat with the unmovable armrest.
As a "passenger of size" (POS) I really hope that anyone posting in this thread will try to have some respect. As CTM pointed out most of these threads turn really ugly and people forget that there are those of us reading who are large but we still have feelings!

There is always this question of what weight is too much, but you need to remember that we are all distributed different regardless of our weight. I for one on most planes can get the seat belt on without an extender (or if I need one I need it for about an inch) but my upper body is quite large (from years of prednisone and other meds I am built like a fat football player on top, despite being female). Another POS might need two seat belt extenders but their shoulders fit fine in the seat. Putting a person on a scale is not a way to determine who is a POS and who isnt.

I also think as POS's we have a responsibility (as do people with wide shoulders, long legs or anything else like this). I personally go out of my way to do everything I can not to impede my seat mates area, leaning as far to the other size as I can, squishing my arms, whatever I can. No I cant ask my clients to buy 2 seats (and truth other than on US Airways CRJ's I dont need to) but I do try to be respectful and aware of how much the person doesnt want to sit next to me doesnt want to be there.

Non-pos's you also need to have some respect, the sigh and eye roll when you see me is not needed, it doesnt help either of us!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The airlines also have a roll to play and need to get more realistic about seating. with more and more of the population becomeing POS's it certainly makes no sense to keep making the seats smaller and smaller!!!!!!!!

Like I said above, just remember EVERYONE has feelings and please lets not let this thread turn into the same hatred as so many others on this topic!
Quote: As a "passenger of size" (POS) I really hope that anyone posting in this thread will try to have some respect. As CTM pointed out most of these threads turn really ugly and people forget that there are those of us reading who are large but we still have feelings!

There is always this question of what weight is too much, but you need to remember that we are all distributed different regardless of our weight. I for one on most planes can get the seat belt on without an extender (or if I need one I need it for about an inch) but my upper body is quite large (from years of prednisone and other meds I am built like a fat football player on top, despite being female). Another POS might need two seat belt extenders but their shoulders fit fine in the seat. Putting a person on a scale is not a way to determine who is a POS and who isnt.

I also think as POS's we have a responsibility (as do people with wide shoulders, long legs or anything else like this). I personally go out of my way to do everything I can not to impede my seat mates area, leaning as far to the other size as I can, squishing my arms, whatever I can. No I cant ask my clients to buy 2 seats (and truth other than on US Airways CRJ's I dont need to) but I do try to be respectful and aware of how much the person doesnt want to sit next to me doesnt want to be there.

Non-pos's you also need to have some respect, the sigh and eye roll when you see me is not needed, it doesnt help either of us!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The airlines also have a roll to play and need to get more realistic about seating. with more and more of the population becomeing POS's it certainly makes no sense to keep making the seats smaller and smaller!!!!!!!!

Like I said above, just remember EVERYONE has feelings and please lets not let this thread turn into the same hatred as so many others on this topic!

I agree and am sorry if i offended anyone. I think that if someone takes up the space of more than one seat they should have to pay for it. I THINK some airline (WN?) decided to charge a mid-rate fee for this at some point but i'm not sure. I think both the passenger and the airline would be happy with that outcome, right?
With all due respect, but making a large passenger buy 2+ seats does not have anything to do with hurting someone's feelings or discrimination. As a matter of fact, it should be looked at as a protection for the passenger who has to sit adjacent to the large person for any period of time.

My rule is, if any parts of a person's body or body parts protrude into the passenger adjacent to him/her, then he/she needs to buy 2 seats to compensate. Again, this has nothing to do with intentionally hurting someone's feelings or whatnot.

The truth is, most people have the NIMB thought in the back of their heads. People don't care unless they are being affected. I don't care what you say, but when you have to sit next to a large person on a 777 5 seater in the middle from LAX-SYD, you will want some space.

I actually think incidents like these change people's lives. A friend of mine and I went to a six flags once and we witnessed a very sad incident--someone couldn't fit into a suspended roller coaster seat. My friend, not that large but chubby, did not want that to ever happen to him, and was determined to lose weight. And as of today, he lost 75 pounds.

If you are not happy about certain things, change them.
Quote: I agree and am sorry if i offended anyone. I think that if someone takes up the space of more than one seat they should have to pay for it. I THINK some airline (WN?) decided to charge a mid-rate fee for this at some point but i'm not sure. I think both the passenger and the airline would be happy with that outcome, right?
I dont think you offended anyone (you didnt me at least) this topic just has a history of spiraling. As far as the airling policies, the problem is they only go after people who are fat, but there are a LOT of reasons that impeded on other people's space, long legs, wide shouldered men, too much crap they are holding, a non-seated child who is not being controlled well, the grandmother I sat next to last week who insisted her arms MUST be held like wings while she crochetted. If you are going to charge for taking up more than alloted space a more fair way of doing it has to be found.