Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Ever caused a minor "ding" "scrap" or "dent" on a RENTAL CAR?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ever caused a minor "ding" "scrap" or "dent" on a RENTAL CAR?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2005, 9:31 pm

I cannot believe how some of you can give back a car with damages and not alert the agency. That is very dishonest behaviour. If they are not going to charge you then they won't when you tell them. Do the right thing and alert them about anything you have done. Afterall, backing into poles or scratching bumpers is often the fault of the car's driver.
Old Dec 1, 2005, 9:41 pm

Programs: airline independent; HHonors Diamond/Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by fromYYZ_flyer
I cannot believe how some of you can give back a car with damages and not alert the agency. That is very dishonest behaviour. If they are not going to charge you then they won't when you tell them. Do the right thing and alert them about anything you have done. Afterall, backing into poles or scratching bumpers is often the fault of the car's driver.
I disagree with the last sentence of your post. Shopping carts in parking lots, doors next to you in parking lots, uncareful valets, and the guy parking in front of you who inces in just a little to close in the spot are to blame usually as much if not more than the driver of the rental car itself.
Old Dec 2, 2005, 5:56 am

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
When I was married to my Ex, he rented a car for a couple of months while his was in the shop. We returned it and Avis sent us a bill for $1,500 claiming all kinds of dents and damage, plus the lost rent while it would be in the shop for repairs. This was 8 years ago and I was pretty naive about that stuff then- hadn't inspected the car before he returned it (or when we got it) because I didn't know they were that picky. There was no obvious damage that I could remember. I sent them a check for $1,000 and told them that was all I'd pay. They took it and I never heard another word from them.
Old Dec 2, 2005, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It depends on the agency and the country. I once rented from Alamo and they made a big deal about inspecting the car before renting it to me, and I could tell they would be very strict (another adjective comes to mind but it isn't appropriate for TravelBuzz). So I never rented from them again.

With Avis, in the US, I have never had a problem. They are not sticklers for little things like a stone that pops up from the road and dings something.

I had an accident with a rental car from Avis. They were very good about the whole thing. Ultimately, the other car's owner (ironically, a huge auto insurance company) paid for the damage as it was their fault. Avis was patient in waiting for compensation, and we had no trouble with the amount of money they wanted for the damage.

In Mexico, we noticed a small dent during the rental period. I don't know if we caused it or if it just happened. We returned the car and they inspected it and it didn't bother them. That was Avis also.

If I do any real damage I report it when I turn the car in. If it's a tiny incidental ding or whatever, then I don't bother.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.