Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

I've HAD IT! How to get GDS access and do my own travel bookings?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I've HAD IT! How to get GDS access and do my own travel bookings?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2008, 2:44 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Keep in mind you'll also get billed by the airline (debit memo) for any mistakes you make in fares. If you sign up for this, you are legally acting as an agent of the airline.
Old Jan 25, 2008, 5:50 pm

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
I just read this entire string, and keep wondering why nobody ever mentions state and federal income tax? There were words like "doing business as...", commission, fees, etc. Wouldn't fed and state get interested? And wouldn't one need a tax ID to sign on to some service to be a "home-based" travel agent? Or maybe nobody is making any income?

Romelle

I used EasySabre years ago, and wept when it was swallowed up and no longer available.
Old Jan 25, 2008, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Travelergcp
Keep in mind you'll also get billed by the airline (debit memo) for any mistakes you make in fares.
This is why my brother always tells me when someone is in the process of issuing a ticket at his TA office, that person cannot have disturbances (i.e. receiving phone calls) because mistakes caused by lack of concentration can be costly.
Old Jan 25, 2008, 7:16 pm

Programs: Haven't been flying for a while... :(
Originally Posted by Romelle
I just read this entire string, and keep wondering why nobody ever mentions state and federal income tax? There were words like "doing business as...", commission, fees, etc. Wouldn't fed and state get interested? And wouldn't one need a tax ID to sign on to some service to be a "home-based" travel agent? Or maybe nobody is making any income?

Romelle

I used EasySabre years ago, and wept when it was swallowed up and no longer available.
Naturally. This is income. It's assumed that you are operating as a business, and that income will be reported.

Not being familiar with US tax law, I can't say this with confidence. However, aren't SSNs tax IDs? Certainly in Canada, our SINs are tax IDs, for the purpose of both employment and self-employed business purposes.
Old Mar 9, 2008, 8:31 am

Programs: ANA Diamond, UA 1K, AA EXP, Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Nexion looks ideal for me! However I am UK based therefore I presume that I can't sign up :-(

Does anyone know of any UK based host agencies?

I have sent an email to sabre UK to see the price they charge for access. But will I be able to find a host to ticket?

Anyone else here across the pond with some experience on this?

Cheers
Alex.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 4:49 am

Hi djev,
I'm also interested in starting up my own on line travel agency.
Can you please share the info with me?

Ps) I'm in Europe if it makes any difference

Lotta
Old Jan 26, 2012, 12:28 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Just curious - it says that you get 80% of commission, but can anyone give me and idea of what commission is like?
0.1%?
1%?
5%?
Old Jan 26, 2012, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Just curious - it says that you get 80% of commission, but can anyone give me and idea of what commission is like?
0.1%?
1%?
5%?
You do realice this is a +4 year old thread...
Old Jan 26, 2012, 7:28 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Cometintintin
You do realice this is a +4 year old thread...
Sure. But it has important information that is still relevant today...

Do you have an answer to my question?
Old Jan 26, 2012, 8:04 am

Think I'll set my wife up as a TA. That way I can call and yell at her from the road when things go wrong
Old Feb 2, 2012, 8:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
0.1%?
1%?
5%?
Totally depends on the ticket. US domestic, you get nothing..nada...zilch.

Int'l tickets, it just depends on the promo being offered to your host agency by the airline - it could be 5% for a discount Y fare, or 18% for an unrestricted Y or mid-tier J fare.
Old May 29, 2013, 5:09 am

GDS help please

I am very frustrated. I have spent months researching and setting up my new travel consulting business in Africa. I am finding it extremely hard to find a host agent that supports Africa and South Africa. I can't access GDS as I don't have an IATA code. Can any one help out or give me information. I am a home based agent and can't afford to pay thousands to get access.
Old May 29, 2013, 5:09 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Ask an agency in Africa where they got theirs? Strike a deal with them to be a commissioned outside agent?
Old May 29, 2013, 7:50 pm

Programs: All of them!
Heloise: I optained my IATA # (as a new travel agent out of my home in 1993) and it was not a rough process, other than than being inspected. Granted this is a long time ago, what counted most was/is security as I had as an agent.
Old May 29, 2013, 10:14 pm

Programs: Krisflyer
Why do some old threads get locked for bumping, whereas others like this and the scam thread remain?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.