Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

I've HAD IT! How to get GDS access and do my own travel bookings?

I've HAD IT! How to get GDS access and do my own travel bookings?

Old Aug 24, 2007, 7:30 am

Programs: AA: PLT SPG:Gold -> Working on EXP ;)
Originally Posted by djev
You and UABigBird have mail!
Can I get a letter about being a home based travel agent too.. I travel a LOT for pleasure and medium for business (5xEurope 6xCentral America, 2xAsia in the last 4 years) and I'd love to just do the bookings myself, discount or not..

-Dave
Old Aug 26, 2007, 10:15 pm

Programs: DL PM, .6MM; AA Plat; Marriott Platinum Premier
Could somebody please PM or email me the info about becoming a home-based TA? Mrs. nd_eric_77 is quite keen to become one. TIA.

-Eric
Old Aug 26, 2007, 11:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hilton Diamond
Google is your friend. There are any number of outfits out there that will tell you how to do this. And as always, buyer beware.
Old Aug 27, 2007, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by jgreen1024
Google is your friend. There are any number of outfits out there that will tell you how to do this. And as always, buyer beware.
This is exactly why I requested info from fellow FTers... Most google results are likely to be scams; advise from FTers who have had success so far is more likely to be legit!
Old Sep 11, 2007, 2:29 pm

somewhere someone posted that nexion rejected them as they didnt have an established travel agency business.
Does nexion allow you to access and add notes to your own pnr?
Old Nov 9, 2007, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
Originally Posted by franjelley
somewhere someone posted that nexion rejected them as they didnt have an established travel agency business.
Does nexion allow you to access and add notes to your own pnr?
Yes they do. And honestly you can register for Nexion as a "corporate travel agent" for your company if you're in a position to do so. Or simply do a DBA as a sole proprietor. It's very inexpensive and POOF, you're a travel agent! Nexion don't require any sort of certifications. The reason they're around is to keep you from having to get those. They're IATAN members so you don't have to be. I've missed this thread the past few times through here. My apologies! I highly recommend Nexion and have been thrilled with them.

Last edited by kanebear; Nov 9, 2007 at 1:04 pm
Old Jan 9, 2008, 3:35 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I was setup with one of these agencies in the early 1990's to sell travel. They were a decent outfit. I had access to SystemOne and was pretty competent at it. Unfortunately, there was only long-distance dial-up access back then so the expense of using it was high. Only being a part-timer, I eventually gave it up.

I can see now that it would be fairly easy to break even on it just selling your own travel. I especially liked being able to void tickets if I changed my mind before the end of week ARC report went in.

Never got any debit memos, but I wasn't at all aggressive in ticketing.

Traveler
Old Jan 24, 2008, 12:14 pm

Programs: Delta PM, HH, CRC
I'm very interested in this Nexio bit. How much on general does one save on a cosolidation fare & can you mark this up to make more profit for yourself?
Old Jan 24, 2008, 2:31 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Consolidator fares are sold 'net' and either have no price on them or you the agent can specify a price that includes your markup. You mark it up however much you want.

Reliable consolidators only sell to agents. You will need to give them your IATA number for access.

Traveler
Old Jan 25, 2008, 6:52 am

So I need to get an IATA #, ARC Cert & a few training classes online, then join this Nexio
Old Jan 25, 2008, 6:55 am

Programs: Haven't been flying for a while... :(
No, you'll likely only need Nexion, some training, and a Seller of Travel license. Nexion maintains their IATA and ARC credentials; you piggy-back on them.
Old Jan 25, 2008, 7:33 am

sweet, any news on how to get the "seller of travel" lisence?
Old Jan 25, 2008, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by Travelergcp
Consolidator fares are sold 'net' and either have no price on them or you the agent can specify a price that includes your markup. You mark it up however much you want.

Reliable consolidators only sell to agents. You will need to give them your IATA number for access.

Traveler
Question about consolidator fares... IIRC, they often do not give any FF credit; is that correct?

(Important question for FT!)
Old Jan 25, 2008, 10:30 am

Programs: BA Gold, LY PL, PC Platinum, RCCL Diamond
Is there no middle way? I.e. to find a fare in ITA and then go to your travel agent and get the same price?
What is the advantage of using GDS+TA directly over ITA+TA?
Thanks!
Old Jan 25, 2008, 10:40 am

Programs: Haven't been flying for a while... :(
Ticketing fees charged by the travel agent won't be incurred if you're booking yourself. Also, if you're booking published fares for yourself, you may get commissions depending on carrier/route. And there'll be no travel agents looking at you strange for trying to fly SFO-DFW-RDU-ORD-JFK.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.