Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

I've HAD IT! How to get GDS access and do my own travel bookings?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I've HAD IT! How to get GDS access and do my own travel bookings?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2005, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by djev
Are you able to ticket? Did you become ARC or do you ticket through someone else?
1) I signed up about 2 years ago. I remember something in the signup form about having to have a "sponsor travel agency". I spoke with Sabre on the phone and told them I was a private individual who wanted to use this service for the monthly fee. They said that was fine. I don't beleive I am a ARC (not even sure what an ARC is).

2) I haven't learned how to do ticket reservations. I'm pretty sure that I can. You could call their 800 number (I don't have the number anymore that I first called, but you could call 1-682-831-6490 and they could probably transfer you to the right department at Sabre to answer the ticketing question (this number is for software help).

3) I use the service to see fair buckets as follows (example output below):
112SEPSLCJFK‡DL«
12SEP MON SLC/MDT JFK/EDT‡2
1DL 1862 F0 A0 SLCJFK 4 955A 427P 757 L/R 0 MS DCA /E
Y0 B0 M0 H0 Q0 K0 L0 U0 T0
2DL 1898 F0 A0 SLCJFK 6 455P 1114P 757 D/R 0 XFJ DCA /E
Y9 B9 M9 H9 Q9 K9 L9 U9 T9

I also use the service to see fares, routings, etc. There is some award bucket info that is available ... but I believe it is similar to the other sources posted on this forum (i.e. KVS). I especially like the service when I am on the road and need to find realtime availabilty for alternative flights. Also helpful if I'm thinking about a bump to see if a flight is soldout.

If you call, let us know what you find out about ticketing. I assume one would need a special printer for papertickets, but maybe nothing more is needed for electronic tickets. And, maybe one could earn a commission for tickets.

Hope this helps ... Happydad
Old Sep 11, 2005, 3:27 pm

Programs: LH SEN, TK*G, Hertz PC, AVIS PC, Sixt Plat.
Hello as one of the European fellows on this great forum,

I would as well really care for those pieces of information.

By the way, I will be flying to SEA on September 13th.
Hopefully, I can meet one of you folks on the way over there ;-)

Enjoy your day (as we already live at 11:27pm) ;-)

Thx, HamburgAround
Old Sep 11, 2005, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
Originally Posted by ScottC
After you've managed to book your first trip using GDSpeak you'll be begging for a mainstream website...
It CAN'T be any worse than working for two freaking hours teasing a OneWorld itinerary out of Expedia that doesn't include a leg on such illustrious carriers as Gulf Air, Air Lanka or Kenya Airways. Fine airlines that they are, if I can't earn EQMs/EQPs I ain't interested.

Yeah, I have the feeling learning Sabre/Amadeus is gonna be a pain but the rewards will be WORTH it.
Old Sep 11, 2005, 4:04 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
From those who have the info, I would also like to find out about becoming a home based travel agent.

Thanks.
Old Sep 11, 2005, 4:08 pm

Programs: *A Gold, OWE
Originally Posted by darkhawkkg
From those who have the info, I would also like to find out about becoming a home based travel agent.

Thanks.
Please PM me the info as well. THANX !

Cheers
TheAirman
Old Sep 11, 2005, 4:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by happydad100
2) I haven't learned how to do ticket reservations. I'm pretty sure that I can. You could call their 800 number (I don't have the number anymore that I first called, but you could call 1-682-831-6490 and they could probably transfer you to the right department at Sabre to answer the ticketing question (this number is for software help).

If you call, let us know what you find out about ticketing. I assume one would need a special printer for papertickets, but maybe nothing more is needed for electronic tickets. And, maybe one could earn a commission for tickets.
So you're using this service but not to print actual tickets? Who is doing the ticketing? Or do you use it simply to find routings/fares, etc and then book via Expedia?

Also, IATA has quite strict rules about who gets paper ticket printers so home based agents won't get near one. Even E-tickets are controlled and they just don't let anyone buy a membership and print their own E-tickets.

And as for commissions, I'd also think that unlikely as almost all airlines moving away from paying TA's anything as it is.

Maybe this trend is a side effect from the DIY craze but I would caution folks here not to believe it's all that easy or inexpensive of an option.
Old Sep 11, 2005, 4:58 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
It is relatively easy to get access to one of the four major GDS's (Global Distribution Systems). Most have an internet-based option that will cost little or nothing per month. The catch is the ticketing. As was pointed out above, there are strict rules for ticketing, though home-based agents who get approval from ARC (Airlines Reporting Corporation) can obtain a ticket printer. A ticket printer is needed even for electronic tickets. But it takes months for the application process, bonding, weekly reporting, annual fees, etc, etc. Not worth it for most DIY'ers.

Best if someone goes this route is to find a "host travel agency" that will let you have access to a GDS through them then you can have them print your tickets. Another option is to obtain the GDS totally on your own but then find a local travel agency that uses the same system and you can "queue" or send the reservation to them and have them ticket it. The problem here is some of these cheapie fares come out on weekends and/or in the middle of the night (think the NW sale fare to Europe a week ago Saturday) and it might be gone by the time a travel agent gets into the office to ticket it for you.

The best use of the GDS system for FT'ers is probably just to be able to find the fare classes, rules, etc. However I am not sure how much trouble and cost it is worth.
Old Sep 11, 2005, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by TheAirman
Please PM me the info as well. THANX !

Cheers
TheAirman
Please PM me as well with the info. Thanks...
Old Sep 11, 2005, 5:48 pm

I would lover the information as well if it is available. Thanks!
Old Sep 11, 2005, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
What's with all the PM requests? Is there some reason not to just post the info here? What am I missing?
Old Sep 11, 2005, 8:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, HH Dia, Hyatt Dia, SPG Plat, IHG Plat
i would also love the info as well. please PM me.
thanks.
Old Sep 11, 2005, 8:59 pm

Programs: UA Silver, MR Ambassador, HH Gold
Throw me into the PM send to mix also. Thanks.
Old Sep 11, 2005, 9:05 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
If fare and availability is all you are looking for expertflyer.com (5-10US$/month) and KVS Tool (see the aeroplan AC forum) is for you.

Once you know what fare is available and if there are seats in that fare are open with either of the two tools above, you can go to any online booking site like opodo or expedia and book the ticket.
Old Sep 11, 2005, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As this is more TravelBuzz related and not Mileage Run related - I am moving this from the MR forum to the TravelBuzz forum. Please continue this thread there.

Thanks,

bhatnasx
Mileage Run Moderator
Old Sep 11, 2005, 10:09 pm

Location: BKK, formerly Irvine, CA, UA 1-k-MM, Hilton-gold, Gold Starwood
Could you email me the info as well?

Could you email me the info as well?

thanks a million miles,
Robert

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.