Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

How To Help Victims of Hurricane Katrina?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2005, 9:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott PLT, Starwood, American Gold, Delta

I'm at a loss as to the best ways to help those who have lost everything in Hurricane Katrina.

I have an empty apartment that is part of my home and could easily house two people. How do I find two people who need a place to live? I'd buy them a ticket out of New Orleans, Mobile, whereever... but are airports even open?

Is this crazy for me to think about doing this?
Old Aug 30, 2005, 11:10 am

Yes, this is crazy. Donate money to the Red Cross is the best way to help.

People want to be close to their home.
Old Aug 30, 2005, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
Don't know about Gulfport/Mobile airports but the two in NOLA (MSY and a general avation field) are both completely submerged according to the mayor.
Old Aug 30, 2005, 2:05 pm

You can donate online at http://www.redcross.org . Note that many employers will match employee donations -- check to see if yours will.

By far the best thing you do is give cash. This can be directly translated to what they need. Collections of items are not as good, as they have to be shipped and sorted, and might not be needed. If you want to personally volunteer, you should contact the Red Cross or other agency first before traveling to the area.
Old Aug 31, 2005, 9:01 am

Location: (not Montana. Nor is my name really Helena, nor am I female)
Programs: Delta, USAirways, Starwood, Priority Club, Marriott, Amex
Agree with the suggestions to donate cash. But this situation seems to be one that, like previous media-focus massive disasters, is likely to result in cash donations in excess of what can actually be used in the short term. That's a good thing, compared to being short of funds, and I'd hate for the anticipation of excess to be a factor that prevented people from actually meeting the immediate need.

But I remember with the tsunami hearing various agencies saying "what we'll need more than more cash now is for you to support us after this disaster has passed from the world's attention and people still have needs for longer-term rebuilding."

So I'm thinking I may respond to this disaster by sending money to SE Asia, and respond to the next big disaster by sending money to the LA and MI Gulf coast area.

I had also considered offering living space for refugees, but that's probably impractical as I'm about 1000 miles away.
Old Aug 31, 2005, 10:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Be very careful before writing checks to these non profits which are geared toward helping the victims. Find out what per cent of your gift will go to the victims and what per cent will they keep for future disasters or their own administrative costs. My maximum limit for charity expenses and future disasters is 5%. At least then I know that 95% will go where it is needed. We saw from the Red Cross activities after the September 11 terrorist attacks that some charities were holding donations for future catastrophes. And they were of course exposed for doing that.
Old Aug 31, 2005, 2:06 pm

I actually don't have a problem with charities redirecting funds to where they're needed, though they should say so up front. That's what caused the trouble in this case. You could contribute to the Red Cross's general "Disaster Relief Fund" instead of the specific Katrina fund.
Old Aug 31, 2005, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Retired :)
I agree, donate to the Red Cross.

I went to the Publix grocery store today and was able to add money onto my bill before checkout. I gladly did that since I was the recipient of hurricane help last summer.
Old Aug 31, 2005, 3:37 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Executive Club Gold/Frequence Plus Red
Originally Posted by wintersummer
You can count me among the crazies too
I have my appartment in Atlanta and I am in Switzerland for at least a month yet. I lent my place to a family I hardly know, having just met them once at their place for a drink, but who cares. Do it. They cannot walk away with it and anyway, its just material things.
Good luck
Old Aug 31, 2005, 3:42 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Executive Club Gold/Frequence Plus Red
Originally Posted by Analise
Be very careful before writing checks to these non profits which are geared toward helping the victims. Find out what per cent of your gift will go to the victims and what per cent will they keep for future disasters or their own administrative costs. My maximum limit for charity expenses and future disasters is 5%. At least then I know that 95% will go where it is needed. We saw from the Red Cross activities after the September 11 terrorist attacks that some charities were holding donations for future catastrophes. And they were of course exposed for doing that.
Analise, you are a darling. Don't give a penny to the Red Cross. Palatial buildings in Switzerland, too many expenses and people don't see anything.
Check with local churches that have contacts with people from around there. They'll be able to help with much less bureaucracy. I can imagine that meals are going to be in demand very soon.
Old Aug 31, 2005, 4:41 pm

Programs: HHonors DM, Airtran Elite, Delta SM
Originally Posted by magexpect
Analise, you are a darling. Don't give a penny to the Red Cross. Palatial buildings in Switzerland, too many expenses and people don't see anything.
Check with local churches that have contacts with people from around there. They'll be able to help with much less bureaucracy. I can imagine that meals are going to be in demand very soon.
In this instance the Red Cross might be the only good thing to give to. I don't believe any local (New Orleans or Biloxi) churches or organization are up to the task of doing anything. Everything is being handled by FEMA, Homeland Security, the military, and the Red Cross. So pay your taxes too!
Old Aug 31, 2005, 5:26 pm

wow

I think it's great that people are willing to share their homes.
There are thousands of people who are very suddenly homeless. How long would you want to live sleeping on the floor of the AstroDome or out of your trunk at some out of state rest stop or whatever.....I can't even imagine

I'd share my home if I didn't live on the opposite side of the nation. All I can do is whatever I can to raise funds, which I'm working on now, to pass along (probebly to red cross). If anyone knows of a reputable company matching funds, that's what I'm looking for also, Please share.

God bless the millions affected.
Old Aug 31, 2005, 5:47 pm

Giving was made very easy today. Went to COSTCO and they had signs at every check-out line that you could add to your bill and the money would go 100% to the Red Cross. So I did that when I paid. When walking out of Costco, they also had a huge plexiglass container to collect coins & bills.

Also, in case anyone is intersted, I saw a news article detailing a celebrity auction that will start on Sept 2nd, with the proceeds going to hurricane relief.

http://www01.charityfolks.com/charit...RC_Katrina.asp

A few thing that will be auctioned:
~Attend Morgan Freeman’s upcoming movie An Unfinished Life, which co-stars Robert Redford and Jennifer Lopez.
~VIP tickets to Fashion Rocks which will feature performances from David Bowie, Destiny’s Child, Duran Duran, Alicia Keys, Tim McGraw, Billy Idol, Gwen Stefani, Joss Stone and Rob Thomas, just to name a few.
~Two cross-continental first class tickets on Virgin Airlines.
~An exclusive getaway at the fabulous Four Seasons Hotel in New York.
~Tickets to be in the studio audience at That 70's Show and a script singed by the cast.
~Four luxurious nights in a Prince Suite at the Princeville Resort in Kauai.
~VIP to the Jimmy Kimmel Show with passes to the "Green Room" and a picture with Jimmy.
~An afternoon on the set of "Drake and Josh" (Nickelodeon)
http://apnews.excite.com/article/200...D8CB0N204.html
Old Aug 31, 2005, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by wintersummer
I'm at a loss as to the best ways to help those who have lost everything in Hurricane Katrina.

I have an empty apartment that is part of my home and could easily house two people. How do I find two people who need a place to live? I'd buy them a ticket out of New Orleans, Mobile, whereever... but are airports even open?

Not as crazy as some people seem to think. Have a look at this:

http://www.nola.com/forums/homesavailable/
Old Aug 31, 2005, 6:48 pm

Programs: HHonors DM, Airtran Elite, Delta SM
I wonder if Ebay will do the "donation" auctions again like they did after 9/11. I bought and sold alot of stuff through that back in '01.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.