Wiki Posts
Search

Do you have dreams about traveling?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2005, 7:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM MM
Do you have dreams about traveling?

I sometimes dream that I have forgotten my passport or my luggage. This is so funny, because I am a compulsive list maker. In spite of this, I have forgotten to pack medicine, and items of clothing. Not to mention the stuff I have left behind on my travels!
Old Aug 26, 2005, 8:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I think the forgotten passport nightmare is similar to the nightmares about being back in high school except you're completely nude or arriving in class when a paper is due and you haven't even started.

These are the anxiety dreams which I think many of us share. I've had the forgotten passport nightmare several times. It's dreadful.
Old Aug 26, 2005, 10:14 am
LLM
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dorlee
I sometimes dream that I have forgotten my passport or my luggage. This is so funny, because I am a compulsive list maker. In spite of this, I have forgotten to pack medicine, and items of clothing. Not to mention the stuff I have left behind on my travels!
I would imagine only organized people have such dreams, just like psychologists say only good students have the school dreams. I still have them occasionally about college, grad school and sometimes even high school. Usually at some point before I wake up I realize it is a dream. Interestingly, during the three years my mother was battling cancer and I made 18 weekends trip to Philadelphia, my dreams switched to the airport ones and ended after she died.
Old Aug 26, 2005, 11:35 am

Programs: Marriott PLT, Starwood, American Gold, Delta
I Have A Number of Travel Related Dreams

and they all puzzle me. One variation is that I'm in some distant city, not sure where, but generally it's big and I'm always in a enclosed shopping area, strolling around. Sometimes I cross streets in these dreams. Another variation is that I'm traveling by car to scenic destinations, sort of mountainous, maybe ski destinations with lodges, yet I don't ski. And here's the wierd one - last week I dreamed that my flight was cancelled but they had a replacement airline for us. It was called the "Dr. Phil Airline" and had his picture on the side, smiling, with a wave like "come on, get on". On board, seating was group style, to let us all sit around in circles and talk. Dr. Phil was not on board, this was just his new airline. Here's the funny part: I have never, not once, watched the Dr. Phil show on tv. Of course, I've seen him in magazines and such but he's not part of my life enough to have deserved an airline.
Old Aug 26, 2005, 11:58 am

I've had many a dream where I forget my luggage on the plane or somewhere in the airport. Always wake up in a cold sweat.

Interesting thread. In college, I had dreams about oversleeping an exam or showing up completely unprepared for a final examination. These "nightmares" lasted almost half a year past my graduation. I was also a poor student, and not terribly organized :-)
Old Aug 26, 2005, 12:04 pm

Programs: US CP
It's funny that someone asked this question.

I dream about flying all the time. Waiting in airports, boarding planes, doing the upgrade dance at the gate, sipping wine in First Class, the whole thing.

Doesn't bother me though. It's my favorite thing in the world to do, so doing it while dreaming means I get to enjoy more of it, and it's a lot cheaper.

P.S. Haven't had a flight cancelled in dreamland yet.

P.P.S. After posting this I noticed it is a women's forum. Sorry. I just landed here from the FT main page where this thread was featured. I'll just sneak out the back door.
Old Aug 26, 2005, 12:22 pm

Egads, this is the women's forum, of which I am not. I also found this on the front page :-)
Old Aug 26, 2005, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM MM
Originally Posted by wintersummer
last week I dreamed that my flight was cancelled but they had a replacement airline for us. It was called the "Dr. Phil Airline" and had his picture on the side, smiling, with a wave like "come on, get on". On board, seating was group style, to let us all sit around in circles and talk. Dr. Phil was not on board, this was just his new airline. Here's the funny part: I have never, not once, watched the Dr. Phil show on tv. Of course, I've seen him in magazines and such but he's not part of my life enough to have deserved an airline.
This made me laugh hysterically
Old Aug 26, 2005, 12:37 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Ah, you guys don't have to worry about posting in the women's forum - everyone's welcome here. And this is a pretty general topic, which probably good go to TravelBuzz, which is where I'll move it. Please follow it there.

As to the question, I've never had a travel-related dream (I must be too disorganized ), but I frequently wake up in the dark and don't have a clue where I am - home, a hotel room, some far off place.
Old Aug 26, 2005, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Airplane
The true definition is found in identifing the type of plane and your personal feeling of aircraft. If you fear air travel, dreaming of being on a passenger jet in flight is likely to be an expression of fear involved with some sort of travel. However if you LIKE to fly then this could also mean happeness. And it can also indicate a desire to rise above it all, an escape.

Airplane Crash
To dream of being in this event is a feeling of not only a dramatic negative change in your life, but also to everyone around you as well as your envorment. A very negative symbol and should be meditated upon. To dream of witnessing this event is symbolic of feelings of helplessness in the face of a great tragedy. In prohetic dreams this heralds a great change in the distant future (planes are associated with great distance). This change may not be negative.

Airport
In a dream the sight of a busy airport represents the desire for freedom and/or travel as this is the jumping off point for all those who travel the world and it brings out your hidden desires to do the same. If the airport is empty and deserted your own travel plans will be changed or delayed.
Old Aug 26, 2005, 1:03 pm

This is spooky.

I commute by bus/rail to work everyday and in order to spend the least amount of time travelling, everything has to go just right. I HAVE to be at the bus-stop by 8.29 so that I can catch the (hopefully on-time bus) and so on.

Needless to add, I've run 2-3 blocks after the bus a more than a few times to flag it down.

Just last night I had a dream about the same thing happening on a runway. The 757 was soooooo close. I distinctly remember that the passengers at the windows deliberately ignored my frantic hand-waving, and I kept thinking that I have to get abreast of the cockpit and catch the pilot's attention!

Anyway, I didnt make the flight

Edited to add: Surprising that I noticed it was a 757, but for the love of god I can't remember what airline!
Old Aug 26, 2005, 2:06 pm

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
This is absolutely a true story. Just last nite I dreamed that I was upgraded on CX to F, for no reason. I got so excited. I looked out the window and it's supposed to be JFK, but it looks more like Scotland. Green grass everywhere, with pools. Then the airport lounge looks more like 4 Seasons hotel lobby with eloborate food spread, chocolate everywhere. I was so happy.
And then I woke up.

*sigh*
Old Aug 26, 2005, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
I have nightmares about flying AA

The other night I dreamt I was on a BA flight out of Heathrow, some reason I was in 1F and turned round and watched the plane nosedive into the ground about half a mile from the airport!

I had a dream the night before my one Concorde flight that I forgot to look out the window to try and see the curve of the Earth...and the plane was actually a bus and flying at 50ft. I needed to drink less booze that night!

I do dream about travel quite a lot, only the above spring to mind at this moment though....
Old Aug 26, 2005, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
I was flying NRT-LAX NW2 and I was sleeping on the plane and had a dream that we were crashing smack into Compton/South LA right on the approach to the airport.

That was sucky to say the least...
Old Aug 26, 2005, 4:19 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Yes I regularly dream about travelling, sometimes even while I'm travelling.

Can be a bit embarrassing when FA asking me if I want a drink or passing out the meal

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.