Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Most Efficient Airport

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2005, 7:04 am
Original Poster

Most Efficient Airport

What airport has provided you with the best experience as far as the walk from the entrance to your gate, the most or fastest security checkpoints, convenient restrooms and restaurants etc...?

Is there an airport out there that you think future airports or airport renovations should be modeled after?

Seems like every airport has a ridiculously long walk to the gates or some major flaw that makes the experience frustrating in some way.
Old Aug 19, 2005, 7:40 am

Programs: UA; Amtrak
You really have to put it in terms of airport size and purpose; LGB is extremely quick to get in and out of (at least, it was when I last used it 3 years ago), but it's not exactly an international gateway or the next superhub.

That said, ICN, HKG, and AMS seem to get high marks from FTers.
Old Aug 19, 2005, 8:03 am

Programs: NW
I have always found KIX extremely easy to get into and out of, especially after realizing that the efficient limosine buses are a much quicker alternative than taking the express trains to inconveniant stations. On a 6:45 pm arrival I am almost alway sitting down to dinner at Dino's in Ashiya by 8:00.
Old Aug 19, 2005, 8:36 am

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
It isn't huge, but I still think that the AA ops at SAT are incredibly efficient. Never a wait for a gate, or for a jet bridge to be positioned for deplaning, and very fast luggage service.
Old Aug 19, 2005, 9:01 am

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
DFW with new Skylink is much better now.
Old Aug 19, 2005, 9:33 am

Programs: AA, B6, CO, DL, FL, UA, US Gold (only took 10k miles), WN, Amtrak
I am a huge fan of HPN I can go from plane to bathroom to the terminal roadway in about 3 minutes. Departing takes about 5 minutes because of the wait for TSA.

Departing from DCA is great when not using Terminal A (NW, YX, FL, NK and ATA). Usually I need to allow about 5 minutes from metro to Gate if I am not checking luggage and am already checked in.
Old Aug 19, 2005, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
I really, really like DTW for the reasons you cited. It's very efficient, quick via the tram to get from one side of the terminal to the other etc.

not sure how security is since I've always transitited through there and never checked in/out of there but in all fairness, I think as far as conex, it's very nice.
Old Aug 19, 2005, 2:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Life-Plat, Hyatt ex-Diamond, Hilton ex-Diamond, UA ex-1K, Avis ex-Chairman
The transportation network connecting HKG is excellent. However, the airport is just sometimes too big and a lot of US-bound flights are assigned gates far far away.
Old Aug 19, 2005, 2:51 pm

Programs: PLAT -- 2.7Million
Originally Posted by Abidjan
DFW with new Skylink is much better now.
I waited several minutes for a Skylink while hanging out at DFW recently. Finally just gave up on it.
Old Aug 19, 2005, 8:08 pm

Programs: BA GfL
SIN no doubt. Travel time from exiting the aircraft, to passport control, baggage claim and taxi: 15 minutes, including a brief stop at the ATM machine at the airport.
Old Aug 19, 2005, 8:18 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
RNO, SLC, and YVR for rental car access and easy access to a fast expressway exit. (at least for RNO and SLC) No dragging luggage onto rental car busses or trains.

Very good microbrewery at RNO. (Brew Bros)
Old Aug 19, 2005, 8:19 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, AA Plat
Originally Posted by GWU ESIA STUDENT
I am a huge fan of HPN I can go from plane to bathroom to the terminal roadway in about 3 minutes. Departing takes about 5 minutes because of the wait for TSA.

Departing from DCA is great when not using Terminal A (NW, YX, FL, NK and ATA). Usually I need to allow about 5 minutes from metro to Gate if I am not checking luggage and am already checked in.
I'll second the comments on DCA. I love flying out of there, in particular with the convenience of Metro. Especially on US, it is a breeze.

btw, GWU ESIA, good to see some Buff and Blue on here! I'm an SMPA grad from '00. ^
Old Aug 19, 2005, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another vote for HKG. Very passenger friendly! ^
Old Aug 19, 2005, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
And another vote for SIN. I don't think comparing HPN and other small regional airports to major international hubs is fair to the latter. It's easy to make things quick and easy when you have a handful of gates, just regional flights, no customs/immigration, no wide-bodies and no connecting pax.
Old Aug 19, 2005, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
I'd say ICN for layout and HKG for overall efficiency, although the walk to/from the gate can be murder. To their defense, the moving walkways always work and the train is quick. SIN is another contenda.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.