Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

EWR to Midtown -- how much time needed

Old Aug 2, 2005, 9:55 pm
Original Poster

Ok Pros -- here's an easy but important question!!

I need to be at a meeting at 10am Fri 8.12 in midtown. I will be travelling from YUL that morning (no luggage!). Is it feasible to get to midtown by 10am arriving at EWR at 8:15am? (and i mean really truly there not 1 second late!)

My other options both for $75 more: arriving to LGA 30 min earlier, arriving to EWR 15 minutes earlier

Thanks for your input!!

Last edited by akap16isme; Aug 2, 2005 at 10:03 pm
Old Aug 2, 2005, 10:18 pm

This five-page thread in the NEW YORK forum includes all the options, costs, and timeframe. This should cover everything --

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ferrerid=14366
Old Aug 2, 2005, 10:19 pm

Programs: NW Plat, CO Plat
Not a true expert - never took the route during this time of the day.

But my gut feeling tells me that while feasible, it will be very tight, especially if there be any flight delays/ traffic. The ride from EWR to midtown takes about 40 min when there is no traffic but you will be in the middle of rush hours... If it is a really important meeting you absolutely can't miss, I would take the LGA flight which would buy some extra time -ride is shorter too...or even a flight the night before - depending on how important this is!
Old Aug 2, 2005, 10:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BBT in NY
Not a true expert - never took the route during this time of the day.

But my gut feeling tells me that while feasible, it will be very tight, especially if there be any flight delays/ traffic. The ride from EWR to midtown takes about 40 min when there is no traffic but you will be in the middle of rush hours... If it is a really important meeting you absolutely can't miss, I would take the LGA flight which would buy some extra time -ride is shorter too...or even a flight the night before - depending on how important this is!
BBT thanks! I was planning on taking Trains -- not driving from EWR to avoid all traffic -- what do you think?
Old Aug 3, 2005, 7:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by akap16isme
Ok Pros -- here's an easy but important question!!

I need to be at a meeting at 10am Fri 8.12 in midtown. I will be travelling from YUL that morning (no luggage!). Is it feasible to get to midtown by 10am arriving at EWR at 8:15am? (and i mean really truly there not 1 second late!)

My other options both for $75 more: arriving to LGA 30 min earlier, arriving to EWR 15 minutes earlier

Thanks for your input!!
You could make it but it will be tight. With rush hour traffic, take the Airtrain to a NJ Transit Train into Penn Station. Where in midtown?
Old Aug 3, 2005, 8:30 am

there are several nj transit trains to ny at about the time you arrive. link below. It does depend on where in midtown you are going

http://www.njtransit.com/sf_tr_sched...e=8%2F3%2F2005
Old Aug 3, 2005, 8:31 am

Programs: OMNI Platinum
Or if you want a faster trip take NJ Transit to EWR Penn and hop on PATH, but as Analise said, where in midtown?
Old Aug 3, 2005, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by ewrfox
Or if you want a faster trip take NJ Transit to EWR Penn and hop on PATH, but as Analise said, where in midtown?
The PATH at Newark Penn goes to the WTC and it takes 22 minutes. He'd have to change PATH trains to get to PATH's 33rd St station. It's much quicker to stay on the NJ Transit train into NY Penn.
Old Aug 3, 2005, 8:49 am

Programs: OMNI Platinum
Originally Posted by Analise
The PATH at Newark Penn goes to the WTC and it takes 22 minutes. He'd have to change PATH trains to get to PATH's 33rd St station. It's much quicker to stay on the NJ Transit train into NY Penn.
How long does NJ Transit take? And if there are any delays then NJ Transit should be avoided.

If you take the Path to 33rd you can connect at Journal Square or Grove St... But with Journal Square the 33rd Train as scheduled, it leaves a few minutes later when the WTC train comes in from EWR......
Old Aug 3, 2005, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Hey I'm going to 54th between 6 and 7. I understand I can take the E train from Penn station. Thank you all you helpers!
Old Aug 3, 2005, 2:55 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I would plan on a minimum of 1.5hrs from out the plane to the front door of your building. I took Airtrain to NJ Transit to subway on Monday and everything was right on time and it still took me 1hr 20 mins. the other thing you have to watch out for is delays into EWR. last monday we sat on the tarmac for 45minutes after landing just waiting to cross an active runway. What airline are you flying?
Old Aug 3, 2005, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by akap16isme
Hey I'm going to 54th between 6 and 7. I understand I can take the E train from Penn station. Thank you all you helpers!
Take the E uptown to 7th Avenue. You will be on W 53rd between 7th and Broadway. At 53rd Street, Broadway is to the west of 7th Avenue so walk the other way when going toward 6th Ave.

Originally Posted by ewrfox
How long does NJ Transit take? And if there are any delays then NJ Transit should be avoided.
If there are delays, the only way to know about them is via internet access. Forget calling them. From Newark Penn into New York, it's about 15 minutes. I say "about" because some trains make an extra stop at Secaucus, others go straight through.
Old Aug 3, 2005, 4:58 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by BBT in NY
... If it is a really important meeting you absolutely can't miss, I would take the LGA flight which would buy some extra time -ride is shorter too...or even a flight the night before - depending on how important this is!
I can certainly understand the attraction of spending one more night in one's own bed.

And, this is just me, personally. But for such things as this, I always try to fly in the night before. Considering how early you're gonna have to get up anyway, is it worth it to you?

At least with going in the night before, you have some cushion, and a chance to get your act together before the meeting versus arriving worn-out and out of breath with no chance to get your thoughts together.

Just my own perspective, YMMV, and best of luck either way.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.