Reload this Page >

What City is really "HELL ON EARTH"?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What City is really "HELL ON EARTH"?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2005, 11:38 am

Stop it with the Lagos, Nigeria bashing. I've been there several times and have not had any problems there, ever. No, it's not a touristy town, but I have had good times there with the local people, and also with the expat business community.

I am in Angola right now, and it's okay too.

I also have a residence in Houston, which is a wonderful city, and a well kept secret from the rest of the USA. I was raised for the most part in Los Angeles, and prefer Houston much more to L.A., or other US cities I have lived in such as D.C. and NYC.

M8
Old Jul 19, 2005, 1:29 pm

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
Any place in the plains or the praries..

..I just dont do flat well.
Old Jul 19, 2005, 2:03 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
I've been to Hell twice...

I've been both to Hell, MI and Hell, Grand Cayman. Neither were "Hell on Earth", quite the opposite.

I haven't done much international travel (Lagos, Dominican Republic, etc) so my nomination for Hell on Earth would probably be Beaver Falls, PA. Actually Beaver County, PA would fit the bill except for a few spots.
Depressed area, truly part of the "rust belt".
When it snows I don't remember once when the snow was truly white. It was always a dirty grey color. Probably from the numerous incinerators.
Closed down steel mills and people standing on town corners just being unemployed. Depressing. Generational Depression is an interesting topic to study in this area.

Although I have to include as a caveat, that this area is not the worst of all areas as I met mrs. infinityplusone here, before she was mrs. infinityplusone
(Fortunately, neither of us called this place home for more than a couple years).
Old Jul 19, 2005, 3:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Living the dream in Antigua and the nightmare in Florida
Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, *A Gold, WN detractor
Originally Posted by Martinis at 8
I also have a residence in Houston, which is a wonderful city, and a well kept secret from the rest of the USA. I was raised for the most part in Los Angeles, and prefer Houston much more to L.A., or other US cities I have lived in such as D.C. and NYC.

M8
And I for one am happy to let you keep your secret.

There's nothing quite like the smell of refineries in the morning.
Old Jul 19, 2005, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT 2MM+; Marriott PLT
Originally Posted by nimeta
Yes - I spent a night there in 1991. Dreadful town!!

The surrounding countryside, including Lake Titicaca is pretty wonderful by contrast!!
Forgot to mention watching two men examining the contents of two brief cases a few tables away in a Puno restaurant one evening. One briefcase was clearly full of money. The other......... They made little attempt to be discreet.

We paid the bill and left.
Old Jul 19, 2005, 5:43 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Hilton and regular member of everything else
How about South Dakota, or any place in the northern plains ... -20 in the winter, over 100 in the summer...
Old Jul 19, 2005, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by ALadyNCal
Um, yeah... I suffer greatly with the hellish conditions here in Laguna Niguel I don't know how my neighbors in Dana Point survive either...
I also feel your pain up here in Manhattan Beach. I guess when it gets real bad I'll hang out at LAX. I really wonder why the median home price is $1.5, when there are so many better places for a fraction of the price.
Old Jul 19, 2005, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by SJCFlyerLG
Anywhere in southern Alabama comes to mind.

Then there is Elizabeth, NJ - home to more burned-out warehouses than anywhere else in America.

Armento, WY - home of America's finest sheep rodeo.

Mianyiang, China - home to the world's most virulent strain of dysentery. And several samller towns in the area where rope is used for toilet paper.
Rope for toilet paper!! ouch,and I thought the tree bark we use in the North West was primative.I'll never complain again
Old Jul 19, 2005, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by Martinis at 8
Stop it with the Lagos, Nigeria bashing. I've been there several times and have not had any problems there, ever. No, it's not a touristy town, but I have had good times there with the local people, and also with the expat business community.

I am in Angola right now, and it's okay too.

I also have a residence in Houston, which is a wonderful city, and a well kept secret from the rest of the USA. I was raised for the most part in Los Angeles, and prefer Houston much more to L.A., or other US cities I have lived in such as D.C. and NYC. :

M8
I was looking at you resume and I have some prime flood plain land in Dakar that might interest you.
Old Jul 20, 2005, 2:08 am

My vote goes to Lompoc, California. It is the cesspool of California. I thought it would be nice since there was Vandenberg Air Force Base and Nasa within a few miles. Instead, I found the Medi-Cal (state welfare) fraud capital of the state, thanks to Santa Barbara county and it's lax formulary for welfare drugs. Everyone there gets Soma and Vicodin and a "Jazzy" or something like it (a motorized cart). It's also very windy every day.

My next vote goes to Topeka, Kansas. I'm too tired to go on.
Old Jul 20, 2005, 2:26 am

Programs: nwa
Missoula, MT Two seasons Fire and fridgid cold
Old Jul 20, 2005, 3:50 am

Originally Posted by AApokes08
Any city in Southern California is hell on earth! The only thing I like about Southern Cal. is LAX and San Diego Airport.
I 2nd this but don't even like the airports.
Old Jul 20, 2005, 4:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
Originally Posted by mlbcard
How about South Dakota, or any place in the northern plains ... -20 in the winter, over 100 in the summer...
South Dakota has some really beautiful terrain (same with Montana) but weatherwise i hear you.

As for Scranton PA, most of my family is from there (in fact, it's my birthplace ) but I have mixed feelings about it.. it's getting bouyed by people from NYC and PHL retiring in the area (and commuting too).

It's quiet, safe, but astethically it's fairly depressed... some areas are quite nice though.
Old Jul 20, 2005, 4:55 am

Programs: UA *G
Odysseus, now I believe there are 4 flights a day from Podgorica-Belgrade where you could pick up more aircraft.. Interesting what you have said about Podgorica, I've heard it's quite nice.
Old Jul 20, 2005, 5:27 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Silver, UA Premier 1K, AA Gold (MM)
Armpit of America

You know, it may not be hell, but Battle Mountain, NV advertises themselves as the "Armpit of America". Truth in advertising?

Honestly, all these folks bashing LA, Houston or the rust belt need to visit Fresno for a week in August. Context people, please.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.