Wiki Posts
Search

Flying with a cane?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2005, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO Platinum HHonors Diamond Avis President's Club
Flying with a cane?

I busted my ankle bad at soccer last night and need to use a cane/crutch when I get on my flight tomorrow. Are there rules about canes like no metal tip or something that I need to know about? For crutches?

Thanks!

peace,
~Ben~
Old Jun 16, 2005, 2:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by seoulmanjr
I busted my ankle bad at soccer last night and need to use a cane/crutch when I get on my flight tomorrow. Are there rules about canes like no metal tip or something that I need to know about? For crutches?

Thanks!

peace,
~Ben~
canes are legal weapons to bring on the plane. I'm a canemaster instructor and tell my students that you can carry it on the plane
Old Jun 16, 2005, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA 2MM
When I tore my knee cartilage, I carried a walking stick for intl travel; never had any problems. TSA sometimes admired the hand carving of it.
Old Jun 16, 2005, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO Platinum HHonors Diamond Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by kenpo777
canes are legal weapons to bring on the plane. I'm a canemaster instructor and tell my students that you can carry it on the plane
I know people *can* bring cane on the plane, but my question was as to what type / limitations on design. I don't want my "pre-boarding" weapon confiscated as I'll actually need it to walk.

peace,
~Ben~
Old Jun 17, 2005, 12:35 am

Programs: All My $$$ Went to CO (Plat) with a Lifetime PClub membership that got degraded to United crap...
I've busted up my legs many a times and use a cane. I've had wooden and metal canes, wooden and metal crutches. Never once have I had a problem flying international and domestic. The worse thing with braces on is that they do the extra screening on you, take my braces off and put it through the scanner, put the cane through the scanner, etc... One leg / knee brace is a warm weather brace that has all exposed metal posts and slats on it which are sharp and could easily be used as a weapon as it can be broken apart easily, but never have I had a problem with it. Last time used was two months ago international and domestic. If you can hobble through the scanner and don't have a metal brace on, then put the cane on the scanner and hobble through if you want to try to avoid the extra services TSA offers.

Any cane or crutch you get from a hospital or medical store will be fine. Unless you get the joke ones with a sword inside or flask inside you'll be fine. They've only ever questioned me on the medication I had on me, which I had a copy of medical note on me as I use a pill carrier not a prescription bottle. Something about a handfull of pills makes them more worried then a cane or metal brace

One thing you can do... call the airline ahead of time, after surgeries or such when I really can't move much the airlines wheeled me to the security, got me right through it easily (or easier I guess then doing it myself) and to the gate. It's best not to make the situation (injury) worse and use the services they have available. Plus if they know you have a leg injury, if I wasn't already upgraded, I got upgraded or bumped up the stand by list for upgrade or put in a better seat to keep the leg safe.
Old Jun 17, 2005, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
When I hurt my back last year, I flew with a collapsible metal cane. It fits in the overhead compartment easily. I was disappointed that I wasn't offered any additional assistance at the airport or on the aircraft despite my shuffling gait and pained expression.

Earlier this year, I spotted Dr John the Night Tripper in a mens room in ATL. He had a carved wooden cane with beads and feathers (and possibly bird skulls) attached to the handle with leather thongs. Of course, a solid voodoo curse would allow him to travel anywhere he wanted with any weapon whatsoever.
Old Jun 17, 2005, 8:08 am

Programs: UA P, BA S, A3 *G, IHG Plat, Marriott Lt P, Hilton Gld, etc.
Originally Posted by seoulmanjr
I know people *can* bring cane on the plane, but my question was as to what type / limitations on design. I don't want my "pre-boarding" weapon confiscated as I'll actually need it to walk.

peace,
~Ben~
I do not think this is a problem if you really need a cane to walk. in case they will decide to check in your cane, they will have to provide wheelchair.
Old Jun 17, 2005, 12:36 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by BamaVol
When I hurt my back last year, I flew with a collapsible metal cane. It fits in the overhead compartment easily. I was disappointed that I wasn't offered any additional assistance at the airport or on the aircraft despite my shuffling gait and pained expression.
Rather hoping someone would offer you assistance you should have requested assistance. My father walks with a cane and he is pretty d@mn slow. I always have his record noted that he needs a cart transfer at the airport. I typically put him on Continental which has hubs in IAH and EWR, both of which have rather large terminals which can be a bear to schlep through. He just walks in our home airport (New Orleans) since there really isn't anywhere to be "carted" to.

My father walks with a metal cane and has never been questioned about it. He puts it through the metal detector and walks through without it. He has travelled throughout Europe and US with it. If it is a regional jet the FA will just place the cane in the pilot's closet.
Old Jun 17, 2005, 2:28 pm

Programs: All My $$$ Went to CO (Plat) with a Lifetime PClub membership that got degraded to United crap...
Originally Posted by prncess674
I typically put him on Continental
That's my main domestic carrier and they've always taken care of me too.
Old Jun 19, 2005, 10:32 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Walking canes are specifically ALLOWED by the TSA. See http://www.tsa.gov/interweb/assetlib...16_2005_v3.pdf They are listed on the first page of the table under personal items.
Old Jun 19, 2005, 10:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
About six years ago, on the 4th of July, I tore a ligament in my right knee trying to do a spin, while swing dancing on concrete, wearing tennis shoes. Not smart. I had to use a cane for about six months and had no problems while flying.

It is pretty much healed now, but it still can give me grief on a bad day. Now I am having problems with my right knee. I can still do lunges and squats but sometimes have trouble with stairs. Go figure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.