Wiki Posts
Search

How to get to Brighton, England

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2005, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, IB, FB
How to get to Brighton, England

I need some help in getting some info about how to get to Brighton from any of the London airports, whichever is closer. I heard Gatwick is the closest and that there is even a train link from the same airport. Is that true? Otherwise, anybody knows how to get there from Heathrow? Also heard Southampton is not too far away from Brighton, but is there a good transportation from these two cities?

I am living in Dublin so there are lots of non-stop flights to any of the London airports and finding a flight would not be a problem.

Thanks all for your advice.
Old May 31, 2005, 10:48 am

Programs: UA 2MM, DL MM
If you don't want to rent a car, the train is a decent option. It's about 40 miles from Gatwick due south on the A23 going through Crawley or you can pop on the M23 going South until it turns into the A23. I've never taken a train from Brighton to Southampton, but it shoud be pretty easy to do so as both are relatively large centers on the southern coast.
Old May 31, 2005, 11:06 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Executive Club Gold/Frequence Plus Red
I often make an overnight stop in Brighton on my way from or to ATL from ZRH. The train is very convenient, about half an hour. I discovered Brighton as a stopover when the Meridien at Gatwick was fully booked. The trains run almost every half an hour. There are direct ones as well as some that stop really everywhere on the way. Watch out the timetables
I have no experience from Heathrow, sorry
Old May 31, 2005, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Fly to Gatwick, train to Brighton - it'll be very easy. Just make sure you get a fast train, as magexpect says.
Old May 31, 2005, 12:16 pm

Programs: bmi British Midland International Diamond Club
Gatwick, as already mentioned, has it's own rail link to Brighton.

One of the airports with low cost flights from DUB is Luton Airport. You can get to Brighton directly from Luton Airport Parkway on the Thameslink rail service.
Old May 31, 2005, 12:26 pm

Location: SCL, MCT, LGW and a variety of 1W lounges in between.
Programs: BA Mucci (Seigneur et Ingenieur des Appareils Volants (Gold)), QF (WP and LTG), AA EXP, GF Gold
Brighton.

Hi,

I live close to Gatwick.

Southern trains to Brighton:
http://www.southernrailway.com/route...brighton.shtml

Thameslink train times, beware of the changes to both after 12 June which is summer timetable.
http://www.thameslink.co.uk/main.php?page_id=37

Ryanair arrives South Terminal which is the same terminal as the train station. BA arrives North Terminal which is a 3 minute shuttle train, free running every 3 minutes or sometimes 6 minutes. From arrivals in North, go up one level , pass WH Smiths and along to the transit trains. From the transit train walk along about 100 metres, turn left and you are in the main railway station.

There is also the bus every hour but it is not as reliable as the trains.

As for hire cars, plenty but expensive.

For trains from Brighton to Southampton, take southern trains:
http://www.southernrailway.com/route...coastway.shtml

I hope that this helps. Anything else that you need to know, just PM
Old May 31, 2005, 5:33 pm

Programs: Delta, UAL, AA
Originally Posted by spotwelder
There is also the bus every hour but it is not as reliable as the trains.
Is this Megabus, or another one??
Old Jun 1, 2005, 5:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, IB, FB
thanx

Thanks so much to all of you for your big help. Now I know the best option will be to fly into Gatwick as that looks as the most convenient. I was looking at the timetables and trains run very frequently between Gatwick and Brighton so it looks perfect.

Does anyone know the fare by any chance?

Thanks again.
Old Jun 1, 2005, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
To price a train fare, try www.thetrainline.com or www.qjump.co.uk (both sites belong to the same company, but one sometimes works better than the other). There may well be many different levels of fare depending on what restrictions you're prepared to accept.
Old Jun 1, 2005, 5:53 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold
I just went to Brighton and have a couple good restaurants for you. The expensive and popular choice is The Gingerman in the basement of Drake's Hotel.

Also excellent and more budget oriented are Momma Cherri's American Soul Food Shack and China Garden on Preston Street (great dim sum). ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.