Wiki Posts
Search

Your Favourite Airline Livery?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2011, 4:50 pm

Programs: MP, 1K 1MM
Inside/Outside

Originally Posted by malsf1
+1. I could not care less about the outside. I'm sitting inside. Safety is my #1 concern.
....ooookay, so now the question becomes, "What colors do you feel safer in?"
Old Mar 19, 2011, 1:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by BryanIAH
Best: NH
Originally Posted by TWA A380
Best current: ANA All Nippon
+3

NH's livery is more than 20 years old, but I never felt their livery is old at all. And nothing better than having its own name on the tail but still maintain a style.

Originally Posted by TWA A380
BAD: Asiana
The current one is good with the tail, however the logo is terrible, their old globe (well actually is not a globe, it is lady raising both her arms hanging the flags) was much better than the red triangle.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Mar 19, 2011 at 1:54 am
Old Mar 19, 2011, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by rjw242
Worst: Southwest. True to the name, it's like a bad peyote trip.

Best: the JAL crane (soon to make a comeback ^)
You got that right, Folks! I don't like on WN at all. Besides, I like to flying on DL is much more comfortable for me.

WN is sucks!

Originally Posted by BryanIAH
Best: NH

Worst: WN
Yep, you got that right! I don't like WN at all. I am refusal to flying on WN for a long time. I know my uncle is an inappropriate for the behaviors to put us on WN again and his behaviors that he doesn't change at all. I will have prohibited him to flying on WN. He had it enough for a many times. I have rights not to put on WN. I am still more favorable to flying on DL or US is more convenient for me & my mom.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 11:32 pm

You can't get shinier than the unpainted AA look -- and personally i think it's a lot cooler than knowing my ticket is paying to fly a heavy coat of paint back and forth across the atlantic.

As long as I don't have to see the inside that is.

Worst: I actually really don't like the new AC livery. I can just imagine a committee where someone said "blue" and someone else said "alright, just not *too* blue"
Old Mar 20, 2011, 8:57 pm

Programs: Enough to travel better
Best: many, such as HA, SK, BD, CX, QF, AY, LH, NH, SA, VX, UA's blue gradation to white tulip scheme, NZ, Sri Lanka, Air Mauritius, LAN, SU's "Deltaflot" scheme, Vietnam Airlines, CI, GA

Worst: WN, ATA, SQ's livery on the A380, "new" UA (CO globe scheme), AA (actually, this is a classic livery but it now looks tired and worn mostly because of AA's aging aircraft fleet)
Old Mar 20, 2011, 9:21 pm

Programs: LH Senator, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Best: LH and BA
Worst: the new UA-CO merger crap.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 2:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by zkzkz
I actually really don't like the new AC livery. I can just imagine a committee where someone said "blue" and someone else said "alright, just not *too* blue"
It's sort of ice / vapor blue. Which -- not to be morbid -- would make a downed bird in an icy region very difficult to spot. I lost a good friend on a PIA flight that went down in a mountainous region of Pakistan, all snow and trees. The plane was painted green and white; they never found it.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 5:20 am
Suspended

Worst: Southwest

I don't really care about airline livery but Southwest really stand out and in your face ugly.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 8:21 am

my favorite liveries (not in particular order):

Gulf Air (looks very luxurious with the golden painting)
Vietnam Airlines (the deep blue color is stunning)
Garuda Indonesia (simply very-very good scheme, IMHO the winglet is the best ever)
Aeroflot (looks futuristic, even if seeing this you can imagine how Russia changed from a soviet-style regime to the new, modern ones)
Aer Lingus (love the kind of green used)

the worsts:
China Eastern, China Southern, Air China, Xiamen Airlines, and most of PRC airlines (looks very outdated)
Brussel Airlines (how can they mess up the tail???)
Southwest (outrageously combined red-and-blue scheme)
old USAir
the "tin can" a.k.a AA, it's simply irrelevant now, it worked during the 50s till the 80s, but now it's a bleh for me
Old Mar 21, 2012, 11:39 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Old Mar 21, 2012, 3:24 pm

Programs: ACMM SE100K; *G
Originally Posted by zkzkz
Worst: I actually really don't like the new AC livery. I can just imagine a committee where someone said "blue" and someone else said "alright, just not *too* blue"
I wouldn't say worst, but I'm not a fan of it either. I think the discussion went something like:

Exec 1: We need a new livery
Exec 2: Hold on, I'm brushing my teeth
Exec 1: That's it!! Tooth Paste!
Exec 2: "O, Canada!" <wipes a tear from his eye>
Old Mar 22, 2012, 3:40 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by j_the_p
I wouldn't say worst, but I'm not a fan of it either. I think the discussion went something like:

Exec 1: We need a new livery
Exec 2: Hold on, I'm brushing my teeth
Exec 1: That's it!! Tooth Paste!
Exec 2: "O, Canada!" <wipes a tear from his eye>
unfortunate since the old livery was sharp. I've always rather liked KLM's, especially on a 747.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 9:14 am

Programs: AIR: NONE, Hotel: Marriott PL, Hilton HHonors CC: Amex PLAT
Originally Posted by gobluetwo

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old Mar 22, 2012, 10:07 am

Programs: Mileage Plus Dirt, Wyndham Rewards
Originally Posted by raph
Kind of like the Continental livery in the 80's? Ugh. What was it? Proud bird with the golden tail? That said, I still recall flying ORD-DEN on Continental as a kid. Fun times.

Best? Hm. AA's aluminum is really cool looking. I also kinda like Westjet's livery.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 3:01 am

Best and worst airline liveries?

Given all the airlines you have flown with, which has the best and worst aircraft livery?

Now maybe I'm "old school" (or just nostalgic) in my aesthetic taste, but I just don't find many of the current (or new) airline liveries that good looking or attractive. Take American Airlines for example, their new silverish livery is fine on the fuseslage, but the logo on the tail (their version of the US flag) is just messy and indistinct. I much rather they have a version of their old AA logo on the tail instead. Likewise, Air New Zealand had an attractive bluish-green colour on their tail as background to their logo. Now it's just plain black. While I understand black was chosen as a match to the colour of their famous rugby team (the All Blacks), that turquoise background colour was still better looking.

And what happen to the cheatlines? That strip of colour along the windows? I guess it has fallen out of fashion in favour of the more modern (and cheaper) all-white fuselage colour. But if done right, it can still look great, like Singapore Airlines.

Anyhow, here are my favorite liveries:
1. Singapore Airlines Their logo and livery hasn't changed much for the past 3 decades (apart from minor modification here and there). It's a timeless design.

2. Qantas is also another airline with a great "kangeroo" logo and livery. It's distinctive and recognizable.

3. Cathay Pacific. Their white "brush-stroke" logo on an emerald green background stands out and compensate for a plain fuselage livery.

4. Swiss. Another one I like is Swiss International Air Lines. Some criticize their logo as a ripoff from their bankrupted predecessor (Swissair)
but I say, nonsense. That red cross is a symbol of their country and I see nothing wrong with it on their airlines.

5. Canadian Airlines. The now defunct Canadian Airlines had an attractive grey-blue combination.

And the worst liveries:
1. American Airlines. I just don't like it's new logo.

2. British Airways (late 90's-early 00's logo). For a time in the late 90's to early 00's, British Airways had this bizzare non-uniform logo (different patterns on each plane), the result was just a mess. The older British Airways logo might be criticized as too traditional and stuffy, but at least it was distinctive and well-known.

3. Germanwings Ugh. Ugly orange-brownish colour reminded you of your recent trip to the washroom.

4. Norwegian Long Haul AS. Another clunker of a design. Ugly red at the front of the fuseslage. I think it should be called the "flying tampon".

What about you? Feel free to offer your own list or disagree with my selection.

Last edited by WindowSeat123; Nov 28, 2013 at 6:41 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.