Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Are European airlines really that strict with carry-on weight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2005, 6:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold

I have heard a lot of horror stories about European airlines and their strict carry-on policies forcing people to check luggage (even when their bags are well within the size limits) just because the weight of the bag is a bit over some ridiculous standard like 6kg. Does this really happen frequently??

I almost always carry on all my luggage, and I am extremely conscientious about making sure my bags are within the allowed dimensions. But I doubt my bags are below the maximum weight allowed by the European airlines.

The reason I ask is that I sometimes fly from Japan to Europe as a JAL frequent flyer, and I occasionally take JAL code share flights on European carrier metal. I recently heard that LX is now strictly enforcing carry-on weight limits. I guess this means I'll avoid LX on my upcoming trip to Switzerland. Apparently they would rather turn away my $5000 business class fare than have an extra kilogram in their overhead bin.

So anyway, is it true the European airlines are this bad? I have never, ever had my carry on bags weighed when flying JAL or any US carrier.
Old May 15, 2005, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No universal answer.

The vast majority of my flights are within the EU. Of the past 100 or so segments, I've only had my carryon weighted 3-4 times and only once did I need to argue with the LH GA before being allowed to take my laptop on board.
So I would say they are fairly reasonable as long as you are reasonable. I would strongly recommend that you only use one piece that conforms to the 115cm total dimensionsn standard.
Sometimes things are a bit more problematic when flying RJs, but I usually find myself on mainline jets so haven't got statistically significant experience to comment further.
Old May 15, 2005, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routičres, PCR
Hmmm ...

'Horror stories ... forcing people ... some ridiculous standard ... I'll avoid LX ... an extra kilogram ... this bad ...'

Don't hold back, tell us what you really think!

Note there are weight and size limits which are generally understood by passenger and crew alike. You may be lucky, you may not.

Looks like you'll be avoiding more than LX, unless you exclusively fly easyJet, which has no weight limit if you can reach the bins, but even they have size limits.
Old May 15, 2005, 6:55 am

Programs: UA G-1MM/*G, B6 Mosaicm, DL G, HH S, Bonvoy(...?) Plat, Avis PS, Hertz 5*, Nat ExVIP
It really depends on the carrier. LH and OS haven't been too bad about it, though, officially, they have a weight restriction. SK does enforce it, though, as I was stopped from bringing my size conforming wheelie onto a flight last month. The one that is worst, in my opinion, is BD... they tried to get me to check my 35mm Nikon and my laptop on a flight. I'm sure you can imagine the kicking and screaming.

EI caught me at the gate with an extra-heavy bag and made me gate check it. It's all a matter of who is watching.

So, it's hit or miss. As much as it's a pain in the butt, I have to say to do appreciate them yelling at people with massive carry-ons that obviously won't fit, as well as people with too many carry-ons.

Timothy
Old May 15, 2005, 7:05 am
In Memoriam

I think, yes, they really are that bad.
Old May 15, 2005, 7:11 am

Programs: AC, AA, DL, UA
The low-cost carriers can be VERY strict. Don't even think about getting around the rules on FR (Ryanair). U2 (EasyJet) is not quite as bad. Although exceptions do happen on both airlines.
Old May 15, 2005, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by grouse
The low-cost carriers can be VERY strict. Don't even think about getting around the rules on FR (Ryanair). U2 (EasyJet) is not quite as bad. Although exceptions do happen on both airlines.
i thought easyjet would allow any weight as long as it fits into the 115cm standard. am i wrong?
Old May 15, 2005, 7:36 am

Programs: AC, AA, DL, UA
Originally Posted by chrissxb
i thought easyjet would allow any weight as long as it fits into the 115cm standard. am i wrong?
No, you're right. It's actually 55x40x20cm.
Old May 15, 2005, 7:36 am
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
I've never had my carry on weighed intra-Europe (SAS, LH, KLM and BA usually). I usually carry only one "pilot bag"-sized carry on weighing around 10 kgs, but might, as a good Norwegian, have a plastic bag with two bottles as well, heading home. The logic is, I think, that if every passengers take only one piece of handluggage, everybody will find room for their things. The weight as such isn't that much of an issue, since it'll be on board in any case: whether in the hold or overhead: it weighs the same.

So if you risk carrying more than one carry-on, organize your things into two bags, withe the fragile objects and the valuables in one, if you will have to check one.
Old May 15, 2005, 7:37 am

Programs: AA Plat, various hotels
With checked in baggage there is now a health and safety issue, generally no flight from the uk will allow a bag to weigh over 32kg for the protection of the baggage handlers. Most countries seem to operate on a weight allowance other than the US. Low cost carriers are always stricter, theyve got to get the money somehow! I dont think scheduled airlines are that fussy unless you have obviously excessive baggage.
Old May 15, 2005, 8:03 am

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
Virgin Atlantic can be very strict. Was travelling in Premium Economy and i was 2 kg over. They told me to take my lap top out and carry it on and stow it once aboard - can't figure that out. Was bit annoyed about it - ticket was almost Ł1900 and unlike BA's World Traveller Plus you dnt get any extra hand luggage allowance.
Old May 15, 2005, 11:11 am

Programs: *A (TG gold), EK silver
Apparently reason for limit on carry on luggage is ''Health and Safety'' regulations,I was told it was because of risk of injury lifting bags in to overhead lockers. Had to check-in small but heavy bag (it contained diving manuals), usually only get stopped if they see you struggling to carry ''hand luggage''.
Old May 15, 2005, 7:03 pm

Programs: DL GM (2MM), Lifetime Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat
LH good. Very good.

BA bad.

AF badder.

SU baddest.
Old May 16, 2005, 3:04 am

Programs: BA & VS
Originally Posted by faultytowers
Apparently reason for limit on carry on luggage is ''Health and Safety'' regulations,I was told it was because of risk of injury lifting bags in to overhead lockers. Had to check-in small but heavy bag (it contained diving manuals), usually only get stopped if they see you struggling to carry ''hand luggage''.

In the event of turbulence, overhead lockers can open up and then deposit 'hand luggage' onto the folk sitting below them. I have seen it happen, a lady in front of me had a a nasty whack on the head when a locker became open during some pretty nasty chop and a bag fell down onto her.

Nice cut and no doubt bruise in the morning. The F/A said thats why BA set a weight limit on hand luggage allowance. I wouldn't fancy a 10kg+ bag landing on my head unexpected.
Old May 16, 2005, 3:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
You might want to check what their website says on hand baggage. I know that BA allows an extra kilo or two for biz/first pax, it's quite possible LX does too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.