FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Barefoot on the plane (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/432119-barefoot-plane.html)

AA53 May 12, 2005 5:50 pm

Barefoot on the plane

I have been noticing more and more people walking around barefoot on the plane. Yesterday, between ORD and DFW, there were at least 4 people...and I am not talking about children. These are grown men and women. Besides the obvious health issue, are there any policies AA has regarding in flight attire? What is next, shirtless passengers? I asked the FA and she shrugged her shoulders.

Spiff May 12, 2005 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by AA53
I have been noticing more and more people walking around barefoot on the plane.

Eeww, especially the lavs. Sometimes it looks like someone emptied a firehose into them.

What is next, shirtless passengers?

Sounds good to me. :)

Of course, you could probably fly WN and see something like that.

No Shirt
No Shoes
No Problem

WheelsFirst May 12, 2005 6:11 pm

It seems like you have discovered the true meaning of "The Southwest Effect."

DFW_CK May 12, 2005 6:20 pm

I have been noticing more and more people walking around barefoot on the plane. Yesterday, between ORD and DFW, there were at least 4 people...and I am not talking about children. These are grown men and women. Besides the obvious health issue, are there any policies AA has regarding in flight attire? What is next, shirtless passengers? I asked the FA and she shrugged her shoulders.

I was on an ORD to LHR flight and this guy takes his freakin shoes and socks off just before dinner. The FA very politely tells him that it is a healthcode violation and she cannot serve dinner till he at least puts his socks back on.

justageek May 12, 2005 6:23 pm

What do you expect when our fine government (TSA) requires us to prance around in our socks as part of the qualification ritual for being granted the honor of entering the boarding area?

I wouldn't blame Southwest--I'd blame TSA.

aaupgrade May 12, 2005 6:25 pm

Besides the obvious health issue, are there any policies AA has regarding in flight attire?

Yes, CoC.

ACCEPTANCE OF PASSENGERS

American may refuse to transport you, or may remove you from your flight at any point, for one or several reasons, including but not limited to the following:
6. Your conduct is disorderly, abusive or violent, or you
...f. Are clothed in a manner that would cause discomfort or offense to other passengers,
...g. are barefoot, or

whirledtraveler May 12, 2005 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by Spiff
Eeww, especially the lavs. Sometimes it looks like someone emptied a firehose into them.

I suspect that, sometimes, someone has.

TheKnife May 12, 2005 6:33 pm

I see barefeet all time on the EVA codeshares to/from LAX in business

Plato90s May 12, 2005 6:35 pm

Notice the number of people walking around American cities wearing flip-flops?

Those are the same people walking around barefoot on airplanes.

Night Flyer May 12, 2005 6:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirledtraveler

I suspect that, sometimes, someone has.

Or that their condition would improve if someone did. :)

925 May 12, 2005 7:08 pm

I am ALWAYS in my socks on an airplane. First thing I do after I sit down. First thing I do after touchdown. I often open a lav door, survey the floor, close the door, and wait for the other one.

I have never seen barefeet though. I'll start looking. What runs is this common on?

natmicstef May 12, 2005 7:12 pm

Besides the obvious health issue, are there any policies AA has regarding in flight attire?

I was once told to put on my shoes...I was not walking around barefoot and wouldn't dream of it...but I was seated without shoes and the AA flight attendant told me to put them on as it was a safety issue. (And no there was no cheesy feet issue)....I felt like a naughty child..but then AA flight attendants are not (in my experience) particularly interested in their passengers' flight experience.

magic111 May 12, 2005 7:15 pm

I always have slippers in my carryon that are easily accessible if I want to take my shoes off.

justageek May 12, 2005 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by natmicstef
I was once told to put on my shoes...I was not walking around barefoot and wouldn't dream of it...but I was seated without shoes and the AA flight attendant told me to put them on as it was a safety issue. (And no there was no cheesy feet issue)....I felt like a naughty child..but then AA flight attendants are not (in my experience) particularly interested in their passengers' flight experience.

That's bizarre--I've heard pre-departure safety announcements in the past that specifically said women should remove their high-heel shoes in case of an evacuation. (Presumably because they would puncture the inflatable slides.) So I find it hard to believe that sitting or walking around shoeless onboard is a safety issue.

ByrdluvsAWACO May 12, 2005 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by 925
I am ALWAYS in my socks on an airplane. First thing I do after I sit down. First thing I do after touchdown. I often open a lav door, survey the floor, close the door, and wait for the other one.

Ewww. Then you put your shoes back on?

Hello people. What's on the lav floor is also on the carpet throughout the plane.