Barefoot on the plane

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Barefoot on the plane

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2012, 2:40 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by joelfreak
Sweat dries off of skin, as its made to do. Sweat collects in/on socks, as its made to do.
Residual odor remains.. both on the skin and the socks. Some feel at home on the plane, but its still a public place. Dare not check under the seats. Do the crews actually clean the floors thoroughly and under the seats?
Old Mar 27, 2012, 5:27 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Residual odor remains.. both on the skin and the socks.
Odor is a factor of two things: old sweat and bacteria; both are needed. People who go barefoot the most have the least odor, because their sweat dries immediately, not trapped in socks and shoes. Conversely, people who wear heavy shoes and socks tend to have the most odor, because they have the most stale sweat. Individual variances in frequency of washing (which reduces both sweat and bacteria) and in body composition (which affect the amount of sweat produced and the types of bacteria harbored) come into play as well of course.

Some feel at home on the plane, but its still a public place.
Ah, yes, which is why no one is permitted to expose any skin except faces and ears. One must uphold the standards of old! Hats, gloves, scarves for all.

Dare not check under the seats. Do the crews actually clean the floors thoroughly and under the seats?
The plane is dirty, yes, but what do you care if someone else chooses to walk on a dirty surface barefoot? It's their feet and hence their choice.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 3:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Yes, true.. I actually don't have a second thought about someone going barefoot. Its when they start putting up their feet, is when I'm thinking whether that is appropriate or not.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 4:23 pm

Yes, true.. I actually don't have a second thought about someone going barefoot. Its when they start putting up their feet, is when I'm thinking whether that is appropriate or not.
While I would never go barefoot, I have a habit of taking off my shoes and sitting in my socks wherever I am (car, train, plane, classroom). If I need to get up to go to the bathroom or something I always slip my shoes back on. My reason for taking off my shoes is that I like to be comfortable, and in order to do so I usually sit with one foot curled up under me or even cross legged. I didn't think this would bother people. Or do you mean up on the walls, back of seats, etc.?

If someone told me to put my shoes on I'd hate to be them because this would result in constant shifting around to get comfortable on my end. At least with my shoes off I remain still. And it's not like I'd be bothering anyone in the seat beside me, I'm small enough to fold up into my own seat neatly. lol!
Old Mar 28, 2012, 1:15 am

If someone puts there feet into your space, that's not appropriate. Actually, it doesn't matter if it's feet or hands or whatever. Also, I don't see how it matters if they are wearing shoes or not. Your space is your space.

If you object to people putting their feet up where you might happen to see them, then I suggest you don't look at their feet. Look at your AVOD.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 12:01 pm

Trouble is, the bulkhead and the TV screen and the armrest and the seat cushion are all within one's own seatspace, but bare feet still don't belong there. First, it is gross for the next person who occupies that seat. Second, it is offensive to see and hard to avoid seeing. If you choose to put your feet up on view or on surfaces others will have to use, at least wear socks.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by Tizzette
Second, it is offensive to see and hard to avoid seeing
Seriously? It's *not* difficult to just look away. I have no sympathy for someone who's going to go out of their way to be 'offended' by something like that.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by njx9
Seriously? It's *not* difficult to just look away. I have no sympathy for someone who's going to go out of their way to be 'offended' by something like that.
There is no right not to be offended beyond what's covered by indecent exposure laws. Those who are unable to get away should get over it, and maybe carry some hand sanitizer or wear gloves.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 1:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by TayTay
While I would never go barefoot, I have a habit of taking off my shoes and sitting in my socks wherever I am (car, train, plane, classroom). If I need to get up to go to the bathroom or something I always slip my shoes back on. My reason for taking off my shoes is that I like to be comfortable, and in order to do so I usually sit with one foot curled up under me or even cross legged. I didn't think this would bother people. Or do you mean up on the walls, back of seats, etc.?

If someone told me to put my shoes on I'd hate to be them because this would result in constant shifting around to get comfortable on my end. At least with my shoes off I remain still. And it's not like I'd be bothering anyone in the seat beside me, I'm small enough to fold up into my own seat neatly. lol!
Originally Posted by anabolism
If someone puts there feet into your space, that's not appropriate. Actually, it doesn't matter if it's feet or hands or whatever. Also, I don't see how it matters if they are wearing shoes or not. Your space is your space.

If you object to people putting their feet up where you might happen to see them, then I suggest you don't look at their feet. Look at your AVOD.
I guess if feet smell that is an issue, but sounds like most flyers are mindful about the odors. I'm not sure about the feet freshening techniques, but sounds like if this is taken care of, and the bare feet is out of sight out of mind, then it wouldn't be a bother to me at all.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 7:02 pm

Exactly my sentiments: out of sight, out of mind. Some pretty egregious photos of bare feet have been posted, for example in the aisle on the armrest of the seat in front. FAs must think of coach passengers with complete contempt, to do nothing to stop behavior like that.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by nkedel
There is no right not to be offended beyond what's covered by indecent exposure laws. Those who are unable to get away should get over it, and maybe carry some hand sanitizer or wear gloves.
At the gym, you are expected to wipe off the equipment YOURSELF after you use it so it is sanitary for the next person. The point being, have some common decency toward the other passengers, be sanitary for the next person, and don't put bare feet up on the armrest, the TV screen, the tray table, the bulkhead. Whether or not bare feet are actually more or less germy than hands or sock feet, it is offensive to have to use equipment that has had the bare feet of strangers all over it.

As far as indecent exposure laws, by that standard a speedo would suffice.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
At the gym, you are expected to wipe off the equipment YOURSELF after you use it so it is sanitary for the next person.
At the gym, you're likely to be sweating more than on a plane, and surfaces tend to be hard rather than carpeted. For very light use, if the surface is dry at the gym, there's nothing to wipe down.

As far as indecent exposure laws, by that standard a speedo would suffice.
As far as I'm concerned, if you choose to board a plane in just a speedo, that's between you and the airline -- if they let you, it's my problem if that offends me, not yours or the airline's.

YMMV, and most airlines have rules in the conditions of carriage that exceed that, but that's a contractual matter between the airline and the passenger and except for Southwest, they rarely invoke it.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 3:14 pm

Trouble is, the bulkhead and the TV screen and the armrest and the seat cushion are all within one's own seatspace, but bare feet still don't belong there.
Non-sequitor. Those areas are within one's space and hence bare feet are just fine there.
First, it is gross for the next person who occupies that seat.
Huh? How is it worse than filthy shoes? Talk about grime and germ-infested! How about the passenger with flu who sneezes into his/her hands, making every surface infectious? That's gross for the next passenger, who gets sick three days later.
Seconnd, it is offensive to see and hard to avoid seeing. If you choose to put your feet up on view or on surfaces others will have to use, at least wear socks.
Offensive to see? Really? I assume you never go to a pool or beach or park on a sunny day.

Exactly my sentiments: out of sight, out of mind. Some pretty egregious photos of bare feet have been posted, for example in the aisle on the armrest of the seat in front.
Armrest of seat in front isn't your space; keep your feet and hands off. Your armrest is you space; put your hands or feet there if you like.

At the gym, you are expected to wipe off the equipment YOURSELF after you use it so it is sanitary for the next person. The point being, have some common decency toward the other passengers, be sanitary for the next person, and don't put bare feet up on the armrest, the TV screen, the tray table, the bulkhead. Whether or not bare feet are actually more or less germy than hands or sock feet, it is offensive to have to use equipment that has had the bare feet of strangers all over it.
You admit bare feet aren't worse (they're less dirty than shoes), yet you say it's a sanitary issue, but you also rely on claims of "decency." Well, decency used to require that almost all skin be covered up, including hats, gloves, scarves. We've come a long way. How far back do you want to return?

What's really offensive and unsanitary are people with contagious diseases (e.g., cold, flu, or worse) who sneeze into their hands, making everything they touch contagious. Depending on the specific virus and the surface and conditions, anywhere from many hours to a week later future passengers can get infected.

You'll see me, yes barefoot, wiping down my remote, lap belt, tray table, with medical surface wipes. While I may not care what the previous occupant of my seat looked like or choose to wear on any particular part of his anatomy, I care if he left my seat a minefield of infectious agents.

Originally Posted by nkedel
As far as I'm concerned, if you choose to board a plane in just a speedo, that's between you and the airline -- if they let you, it's my problem if that offends me, not yours or the airline's.
^
Old Mar 29, 2012, 6:00 pm

Barefooties, you've had the last word. Over and out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.