Reload this Page >

JFK to Freddies & Back: Which Subway?

Old Apr 25, 2005, 10:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

Am flying in Thurs for the Freddies (land at 3:10pm if flight is on time) & to save $$, would like to do the Airtrain/Subway combo, and same on return early Sat a.m.

I know how to get the airtrain & buy the combo pricing, but no clue on which subway (preferably an express) to take to get to the Hyatt Grand Central (or which direction to walk when I do come out of the subway). Also, I think I'll be staying at the Times Square Hilton, so need to know what subway (and where to pick up) to head back to JFK (flight is at 8:55am Sat).

Any info apprecitated. Cheers. Sharon
Old Apr 25, 2005, 11:46 am

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
Take the AirTrain to Jamaica, then hop on the E to Manhattan (should be express at this time of day). Get off at Lexington Avenue and transfer to the downtown #6 train. Take the 6 one stop to Grand Central and you're right there.

If the weather is nice and you don't have a lot of luggage, you could even walk from the E at 53rd and Lexington down 11 blocks to Grand Central and avoid the transfer to the 6. It's a somewhat long walk through the tunnels from the E to the 6, so walking from 53rd wouldn't take that much more time than the subway transfer.
Old Apr 25, 2005, 12:11 pm

From the Times Square Hilton you can just walk down 42nd St. to 8th Avenue and pick up the E train back to JFK there.
Old Apr 25, 2005, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
Or walk 8 blocks down to Penn Station and take the LIRR to Jamaica to the AirTrain. Buy a "CityTicket" from a ticket vending machine and the LIRR is only $3 on weekends...and considerably faster than the subway.
Old Apr 26, 2005, 5:30 am

Programs: DL DM
Condsider the bus?

You might want to check out the New York Airport Service bus.

It's hit or miss which would be faster at that hour, given the reverse commute and reduced lanes at the tunnels in your direction but at least the bus is a one seat ride to Grand Central.

I'd pretty much given up on the bus, since I live on the west side and the AirTrain avoids crosstown traffic, but if you are just going to GCT, it's worth looking at.

They one caveat about the bus is that the worst part can be the stops at each terminal at JFK- depending on where you get on, it can be more than 45 mins before you leave the airport. Once you're on the road it's not bad at all though.

Unfortunately I can't tell you which terminal is the last stop before exiting. I feel like they've done it randomly sometimes. Maybe someone else has better tips.

For your return, I would definitely take a cab or walk down to the LIRR at Penn Station to Jamaica.

There is a lot of track work over the weekends these days and E service has been affected for the last few weeks. But even if there wasn't, I wouldn't want to count on the E train at 6AM on a saturday.

Have fun.

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Am flying in Thurs for the Freddies (land at 3:10pm if flight is on time) & to save $$, would like to do the Airtrain/Subway combo, and same on return early Sat a.m.

I know how to get the airtrain & buy the combo pricing, but no clue on which subway (preferably an express) to take to get to the Hyatt Grand Central (or which direction to walk when I do come out of the subway). Also, I think I'll be staying at the Times Square Hilton, so need to know what subway (and where to pick up) to head back to JFK (flight is at 8:55am Sat).

Any info apprecitated. Cheers. Sharon

Last edited by remyontheroad; Apr 26, 2005 at 5:38 am
Old Apr 26, 2005, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by remyontheroad
But even if there wasn't, I wouldn't want to count on the E train at 6AM on a saturday.
You'd be surprised. My husband has to be at his office in eastern Nassau county at 6am most Saturdays so that means taking the E to Jamaica to catch the railroad. When the E is running (a big IF sometimes), it is very much on time that hour of the early morning. They actually do keep to their schedule.
Old Apr 26, 2005, 8:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Hmm, maybe catching a cab into town might be easier (though more expensive obviously) than Airtrain to Lex/E to connect to # 6, especially since I'm on a timeline due to Freddies registration being earlier than normal this year?

I'm changing on the plane due to time constraints & I'm not going to walk 11blocks dressed nice & schlepping a roll-aboard, but sounds like the connection to the # 6 isn't that close, so wondering how much time I'm saving doing Airtrain to E to # 6. The bus sounds iffy due to the possible 45min to get out of terminal.

On the return subway/airtrain sounds easier.
Old Apr 26, 2005, 8:50 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Play it by ear, but if time is getting short, then I would vote for the cab. I would vote for the cab anyways, but that's another story. I don't like the subway/train hassle to kennedy, it just takes forever, it will be getting near rush hour, you will be dressed all nice, and have a bag, and the last thing you want to to be packed in a tiny area with a bunch of people.

Save that for when you get to the Freddies.

If you were to do the train/subway thing to get there, hopstop.com (a good source for subway directions, getting better all the time) says (the numbers at the end of each line is travel time):

Suggested Route Time

Start out going on 150th St towards Southern Pky 1.3
Entrance near intersection of 150th St and North Conduit Ave 2.0
Take the JFK AirTrain from John F Kennedy Airport station heading to Jamaica Stati 2.5
Get off at Sutphin/Jamaica Station 6.9

Transfer
Take the E train from Sutphin Blvd - Archer Av station heading Downtown 5.0
Pass Jamaica - Van Wyck 2.0
Pass Union Turnpike - Kew Gardens 3.5
Pass 71 - Continental Avs - Forest Hills 2.8
Pass Roosevelt Av - Jackson Heights 8.2
Pass Queens Plaza 6.7
Pass 23 Street (Ely Avenue) 1.8
Get off at Lexington - 3 Avenues 4.4

Transfer 4.0
Take the 6 train from 51 Street station heading Downtown 5.0
Get off at 42 Street - Grand Central 1.9
Exit 42 Street - Grand Central station 2.0
Total travel time 59 mins

And for your return:

Entrance near intersection of West 42nd St and 7th Ave 2.0
Take the R train from 42 Street - Times Sq station heading Uptown 5.0
Pass 49 Street 1.9
Pass 57 Street 1.8
Pass 5 Avenue 1.7
Pass Lexington Av 1.5
Get off at Queens Plaza 5.3
Transfer
Take the E train from Queens Plaza station heading Uptown 5.0
Pass Roosevelt Av - Jackson Heights 6.7
Pass 71 - Continental Avs - Forest Hills 8.2
Pass Union Turnpike - Kew Gardens 2.8
Pass Jamaica - Van Wyck 3.5
Get off at Sutphin Blvd - Archer Av 2.0
Transfer
Take the JFK AirTrain from Sutphin/Jamaica Station station heading to JFK Airport 2.5
Get off at John F Kennedy Airport 6.9
Exit John F Kennedy Airport station 2.0

Exit near intersection of 150th St and North Conduit Ave
Start out going on 150th St towards Southern Pky 1.3
Total travel time 1 hour 0 mins

At that hour of the morning the trains (subways for those who prefer that) may be a few minutes apart, so i would consider the hour to be a best shot thing.

If you wanted to get to Penn Station (Walk, Cab, or whatever) at that hour of the morning, the LIRR trains depart at (saturday mornings)

5:10
5:29
6:05
6:14
6:39

And take about 20-25 minutes to jamacia station, then the airtrain from there is every 15 minutes or less depending on the time of day, then it's like 16 minutes to the furtherest terminal.

Full details over at

http://www.panynj.gov/airtrain/
Old Apr 27, 2005, 2:46 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Hertz 5 star, Priceline Hotel bidder. AA PLT, 1MM.
I would do the NY Airport bus for arrival. Short cab/bus on return.

I would do the NY airport bus from JFK to Grand Central Station. According to the schedule, the buses leave every 20 min from JFK from baggage claim and takes about 1.25-1.5 hrs to Grand Central. (first stop from JFK). The one way fare is $15 and RT is $27. Being "Mr. Frugal", I would still take the bus since the airtrain/subway combo is $7 and one has to schlep luggage for all the transfers. It's not worth saving the $8 to take the airtrain/subway combo considering it would take 2 hrs plus & some transfers. Since the Grand Hyatt-Grand Central is connected to the Grand Central Station, the walk shouldn't be far and I would guess the walk to be indoors.

Coming back, the subway/airtrain could make more sense if the Times Square subway stop is close. As an alternative, you could "cab" it to whatever station is the closest (Port Authority, Grand Station) and take the bus to the airport. I would say cab would be under $10 and bus $12-15. ($12 if 2nd half of RT, otherwise $15).

I did the reverse in 1997. I took subway into far Upper West Side when it was only $1.50 with free shuttle from JFK to Howard Beach subway stop. $1.50 vs. $13 by bus (or $35 taxi plus tax/tolls at the time), free shuttle/subway won out. On my return, I came into Penn station from seeing ex g/f from NJ and the Carey bus line was on strike from Penn station for that weekend. I took cab to Port Authority (about $6, worth it because it rained alot that day!) and took the Carey bus from Port Authority to JFK.

Bottom line:

1. Airport bus is fine for going from JFK-Grand Central and worth paying $15 vs. $7 airtrain/subway combo. Close to door/door w/o paying high taxi fare. Hyatt is attached to Grand Central.

2. Try cab to Grand Central/Port Authority, then bus to airport. My guess, max cost would be $25 ($10 cab, $15 bus) vs $45 or so by cab. Check with the hotel on what is most feasible taking time/cost into consideration. Take subway/airtrain if it would fit timewise and you don't have to walk far to the subway stop. There is a couple transfers in taking the subway/airtrain combo.

Maybe the NY based FTer's can do better than what I suggested. Have fun at the Freddies! (I have to work this year--not much vacation time left ).
Old Apr 27, 2005, 7:24 am
Community Director Emerita

Sharon, I agree with those who have advised you to take the bus. It is super simple, and the stop is a quick step away from the Hyatt. It's the kind of no hassle idiot-proof public transport I like.
Old Apr 27, 2005, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I'm changing on the plane due to time constraints & I'm not going to walk 11blocks dressed nice & schlepping a roll-aboard, but sounds like the connection to the # 6 isn't that close, so wondering how much time I'm saving doing Airtrain to E to # 6.
The connection to the 6 isn't really that long. It's longer than your average connection, but it's only a few minutes.
Old Apr 27, 2005, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by Doppy
The connection to the 6 isn't really that long. It's longer than your average connection, but it's only a few minutes.
It's not bad at all but Sharon has luggage with her. At 53rd Street, she'll have to schlep the bag downstairs and then up (escalator will take her up) to get to the downtown 6 track.

Are you going tomorrow night, Doppy?
Old Apr 27, 2005, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Analise
It's not bad at all but Sharon has luggage with her. At 53rd Street, she'll have to schlep the bag downstairs and then up (escalator will take her up) to get to the downtown 6 track.
There is now a working elevator connecting the E/V platform with the concourse level on which one walks to get to the 6. (The elevator may be easier to use than the escalator if one has luggage.) And if one prefers to avoid transferring to the 6, one can transfer from the E to any Lexington Avenue bus for free with Metrocard. The downtown busses stop at Lexington and 42nd, right near the Hyatt.
Old Apr 27, 2005, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
There is now a working elevator connecting the E/V platform with the concourse level on which one walks to get to the 6.
I thought that elevator takes you to the uptown side of the 6, not the downtown. Have they finally made the 6 downtown side more accessible?
Old Apr 27, 2005, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Analise
Are you going tomorrow night, Doppy?
Not sure - this kind of snuck up on me. I may be able to make it for the awards ceremony at 7, but it seems unlikely at this point

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.