ever locked your luggage and forgotten the combo?

Subscribe
well, i did this morning. the tsa people in pdx almost refused to allow me to take my bag, but they caved in the end. then, when i showed up in beijing, i called samsonite for advice. they immediately emailed me a set of lock picking instructions. however, thin on patience, i took my bag to the locksmith downstairs who simply made the lock a non-issue (no longer usable, but at least i was able to access my new mattress pad).
I once had a combo lock mechanism malfunction (while locked) I definitely had NOT changed the combination (I had no choice but to permanently break the lock, which I had bought at MUC for about 20 DM.
The nice thing about 3-digit locks is that they can be opened by trial-and-error within ten minutes or so. I had a couple of Master zipper-pull locks that were too easy to accidentally reset while closing (if you turned the dials while the lock was held open the combination would be reset) and I had to break into them at least twice in one trip.
I had a messed up 4-digit combination lock whose combination I did not know; I gave it to the driver and by the end of the day it was working fine and he supplied me with the digits to open the lock. Lesson: no need to break the lock when there is the trial and error method, but those fingers can get sore.
Hmmm... I'm sure that one of the TSA employees over on the Travel Safety & Security forum can give you some good tips on how to open the lock and rummage through the contents of the bag in a careless manner
Quote: The nice thing about 3-digit locks is that they can be opened by trial-and-error within ten minutes or so.
In a best-case situation, or with Samsonite lock-picking instructions perhaps? In the worst case, that would mean trying a new combination every 0.6 second...

I once went through every single combination on a suitcase's 3 digit lock, only to find out it was defective . Took 5 seconds to pry open with a screwdriver.
After one extended period (several months) away from home due to work I forgot the code for the apartment building
Quote: In the worst case, that would mean trying a new combination every 0.6 second...
On average you should only require 500 tries. On a 3-reel lock you should be able to get into a rhythm of one try per second.

I was afraid someone would do the math on me...
I was called by the Assistant Manager of a hotel that I was working for one day. She said a guest need assistance to open his suitcase. Being from Engineering Department, naturally, I have all the tools: from a simple screwdriver of various shape and sizes to heavy duty drilling equipment able to go through concrete. =P

In the end, all that was needed was a screwdriver... =$
I had a lock malfunction on me while traveling recently. It was a 3 digit lock and I tried all the digits (sore fingers) and it still didn't open. I gave up and busted it open.
Quote: Hmmm... I'm sure that one of the TSA employees over on the Travel Safety & Security forum can give you some good tips on how to open the lock and rummage through the contents of the bag in a careless manner
well, they should request a transfer to pdx, where their services would be appreciated for sure. i suspect that the main reason they agreed to take my bag in the end is that they should have been able to crack the lock and felt bad.

anyway, for those of you that are curious, here are the instructions that samsonite emailed me:

The following are the lock picking instructions you requested from Samsonite Consumer Relations.

1. Position the luggage so that the numbers on the wheel are
right-side-up as they face you and set all three wheels to "0".

2. Starting with the wheel on the left, to the right of the wheel,
look into the narrow space between the right side of the wheel and
the body of the lock. Look down into the shaft. (If you have a
safety pin, straight pin, or thin nail file, place that in the
narrow space.)

3. While looking down into the shaft, rotate the wheel slowly. You
are looking for an indentation (a square notch). When you find
the indentation, stop and write the number down. (If you are using
a tool, the tool will fall into the indentation.)

4. Follow the process for the remaining two wheels.

5. Try to open the piece of luggage.

6. If the luggage still will not open, please try the following:
a) If the number on the wheel is over 5, subtract 5 from the
number showing. For example, if the number showing is 8 turn
the wheel to 3 because 8-5=3.
b) If the number is under 5, add 5 to the number showing. For
example if the number showing is 2 turn the wheel to 7
because 2+5=7. The numbers showing on the wheels will be
your combination.
Quote: well, they should request a transfer to pdx, where their services would be appreciated for sure. i suspect that the main reason they agreed to take my bag in the end is that they should have been able to crack the lock and felt bad.

anyway, for those of you that are curious, here are the instructions that samsonite emailed me:

The following are the lock picking instructions you requested from Samsonite Consumer Relations.

1. Position the luggage so that the numbers on the wheel are
right-side-up as they face you and set all three wheels to "0".

2. Starting with the wheel on the left, to the right of the wheel,
look into the narrow space between the right side of the wheel and
the body of the lock. Look down into the shaft. (If you have a
safety pin, straight pin, or thin nail file, place that in the
narrow space.)

3. While looking down into the shaft, rotate the wheel slowly. You
are looking for an indentation (a square notch). When you find
the indentation, stop and write the number down. (If you are using
a tool, the tool will fall into the indentation.)

4. Follow the process for the remaining two wheels.

5. Try to open the piece of luggage.

6. If the luggage still will not open, please try the following:
a) If the number on the wheel is over 5, subtract 5 from the
number showing. For example, if the number showing is 8 turn
the wheel to 3 because 8-5=3.
b) If the number is under 5, add 5 to the number showing. For
example if the number showing is 2 turn the wheel to 7
because 2+5=7. The numbers showing on the wheels will be
your combination.
I realize this is the oldest thread in the game, but...

Instructions worked very well for my "shackle" luggage lock for pelican cases.
I tried the -5 and +5 method for my Samsonite TSA lock but it didn't work. According to
the direction of the indentation plays a part it seems, which I tried and it works (-2).
This reminds me of the greatest facepalm moment in my life (traveling from Dubai to Singapore with friends). It was an old suitcase which didn't have a combination lock - so I had used an old fashioned key-based lock.

En route to the airport, I was boasting to my friends about how I never worried about my luggage getting lost and that I could manage in any situation.

Once I reached the airport, I realized that I had locked the bag AFTER putting the keys inside it (these locks don't need a key to lock, only to open). Needless to say, many things were said and many reminders were given about my amazing flexibility as a professional traveler.

We decided that on landing in Sinagpore, I would go to an Ikea and get something to cut open the lock. When I actually reached the hotel, we asked the concierge if they could send someone to break open the lock which they duly arranged.

Rummaging through the bag, I could not find the keys at all. Few more minutes of searching and then I decided to check my backpack within which I found the keys safe & secure.

So much for being an expert traveler.

Ro
I offered a tenner to a teenager next door to try all the combinations. Took him 10 minutes.