Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

ever locked your luggage and forgotten the combo?

ever locked your luggage and forgotten the combo?

Old Oct 17, 2016, 9:18 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
moondog how hard is it to remember 6969?
Old Oct 17, 2016, 10:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by RohanDXB
This reminds me of the greatest facepalm moment in my life (traveling from Dubai to Singapore with friends). It was an old suitcase which didn't have a combination lock - so I had used an old fashioned key-based lock.

En route to the airport, I was boasting to my friends about how I never worried about my luggage getting lost and that I could manage in any situation.

Once I reached the airport, I realized that I had locked the bag AFTER putting the keys inside it (these locks don't need a key to lock, only to open). Needless to say, many things were said and many reminders were given about my amazing flexibility as a professional traveler.

We decided that on landing in Sinagpore, I would go to an Ikea and get something to cut open the lock. When I actually reached the hotel, we asked the concierge if they could send someone to break open the lock which they duly arranged.

Rummaging through the bag, I could not find the keys at all. Few more minutes of searching and then I decided to check my backpack within which I found the keys safe & secure.

So much for being an expert traveler.

Ro
I was backpacking in China. Whenever I left my pack somewhere, I locked the top compartment. One day, I was talking to a friend while I was locking up (bad move), got distracted, and put the key in the pack before locking the lock.

A moment or two of panic, one friend insists she can fish the key out because she has slim fingers - and then I realized that there's a second compartment for the sleeping bag compartment at the bottom of the pack. I can't believe I was so stupid, but I hadn't been locking it. That made it easy to retrieve the key: unzip the bottom zip, unzip the inside zip, and reach up inside to get the keys.

Two of the dumber things I've done when traveling.

OP, I don't forget the code because I always use the same 3- or 4-digit codes. Always.*

* I always use the same codes after I ruined an expensive locking ski carrier because, after not skiing for a couple years, I had forgotten the code.

Old Oct 17, 2016, 10:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Madone59
moondog how hard is it to remember 6969?
My combo is now 000.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 2:08 pm

I don't forget the code but I have TSA002 "locks" so all I need is a piece of plastic to put in the TSA-hole.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.