Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Vacationing in Switzerland: Which Airport to Fly Into?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2005, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

If one were to spend 4-5 days in Switzerland to rent a car and take in the sights, which airport is the easiest to fly into/out of with the least hassles? Am flying from Wash, DC in Sept.
Old Apr 7, 2005, 2:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

We flew into a Geneva and let their excellent train system do the "driving" for us.
Old Apr 7, 2005, 2:54 pm

ZRH is the only intercontinental hub in Switzerland, and it's also close to "the sights".
Old Apr 8, 2005, 2:18 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Executive Club Gold/Frequence Plus Red
Originally Posted by chtiet
ZRH is the only intercontinental hub in Switzerland, and it's also close to "the sights".
GVA (Geneva) is also an intercontinental airport with direct flights, among others, from Chicago, NYC, EWR but also from Africa, Asia, Middle East etc.

For a short stop in Switzerland, GVA is best as the mountains are litterally right at GVA's doors. The lake and the short trip to the region of Wallis with the Matterhorn are all within 2 hours of the airport. Purely on sights, GVA beats ZRH hands down.
Old Apr 8, 2005, 5:13 am

Programs: HH Diamond, NWA
I agree with Analise - why not let the trains do the driving? I spent six months there in 1982, working on a farm south of Bern. Every weekend I'd hop a train somewhere, it's easy, convenient and they go everywhere.

It's a beautiful country, you'll have a great time!
Old Apr 8, 2005, 8:32 am

Location: (not Montana. Nor is my name really Helena, nor am I female)
Programs: Delta, USAirways, Starwood, Priority Club, Marriott, Amex
I'd choose between Zurich or Geneva based entirely on which route is cheaper.

Geneva does have some Alps nearer than Zurich, but a tourist itinerary in the Swiss Alps really should include the Bernese Oberland. And if you're going there, the travel time seems to me to be about the same, perhaps a bit shorter from Zurich. Also, from the U.S., flights in and out of Zurich often give you a good view of the Alps from the air in clear weather (sit on the right side going into Zurich and the left side leaving Zurich), whereas you're unlikely to see much of the Alps from the air flying into Geneva, unless you circle (in which case you'd get a nice, up-close view of the Mt. Blanc massif).

Sometimes I prefer Zurich because my German is better than my French, but that's really only an issue after you leave the airport.

I don't recall either airport being particularly better or worse than the other in terms of getting in/out.

Last edited by Helena Handbaskets; Apr 8, 2005 at 8:47 am
Old Apr 8, 2005, 8:46 am

Location: (not Montana. Nor is my name really Helena, nor am I female)
Programs: Delta, USAirways, Starwood, Priority Club, Marriott, Amex
Thinking about it a bit more, and since you have only 4-5 days, why not consider this: Fly into Geneva and plan a "C" shaped itinerary that returns to the U.S. from Zurich, or vice versa. That way you don't waste time by retracing any of your route.

I'll also offer my own observation that Zermatt and the Matterhorn cost a good deal more time to drive to than, in my opinion, they're worth. Despite the very impressive posters you've seen, from Zermatt itself, the Matterhorn is unimpressively distant, if you're lucky enough to be there on a day when it can be seen at all (even in clear weather, it often creates its own cloud that envelops the famous peak). To get the poster views, you have to invest even more money (ca. 100 euros or so?) and hours to take a train ride out to the mountain. Conversely, the Lauterbrunnen valley and especially Murren are more spectacularly "Alpine" than any other place in the Alps that I know of. One place that might not be on your radar screen, but is, again, in my opinion, worth the visit, is the town of Gruyeres. It's a beautiful little medieval village with a castle on a hill surrounded by pastures surrounded by Alps, and it's where fondue was supposedly invented (Gruyeres cheese is a major component).

Also, contrary to the advice of some others, I'd stick with driving in Switzerland. If I'm visiting cities, the trains offer some important advantages over driving, but if I'm out to see the countryside, I want to be able to drive up onto mountains that offer good views, into little towns that seem attractive as we discover them, etc. You do get stunning views from trains in Switerland, but I don't like not being able to stop and take photos or have a picnic, or come back when the clouds have cleared, etc.

Does that answer your question about airports?
Old Apr 8, 2005, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by Helena Handbaskets
Also, contrary to the advice of some others, I'd stick with driving in Switzerland. If I'm visiting cities, the trains offer some important advantages over driving, but if I'm out to see the countryside, I want to be able to drive up onto mountains that offer good views, into little towns that seem attractive as we discover them, etc.
I happen to agree with this. Driving in Switzerland is easy, and when on a short trip, it provides substantially more flexibility.

I would choose the airport to fly in based on the convenience of flights (out of the US, ZRH would most likely have more options). If you plan to spend some time in the city of your arrival, e.g., ZRH (even if it is just half a day), take a train to the city (cheap, convenient and extremely efficient), leave your luggage in a locker at the main railway station, enjoy your sightseeing without worrying about parking, etc., then rent a car from a downtown location. Besides having less hassle, you'll save some money, as downtown rentals are not subject to airport tax, even if you return your car at the airport location.
Old Apr 11, 2005, 1:28 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Something to keep in mind: many car rental companies in Switzerland allow for picking up your car in one city (e.g., Geneva) and drop-off in another (e.g., Zurich) at no additional charge.
Old Apr 11, 2005, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by magexpect
GVA (Geneva) is also an intercontinental airport with direct flights, among others, from Chicago, NYC, EWR but also from Africa, Asia, Middle East etc.
I know, that's why I said "hub"
Old Apr 13, 2005, 9:48 pm
Original Poster

Thanks All --- Excellent Suggestions to Digest

I really appreciate all of your input. I think we will rent a car regardless of where we finally fly into or out of. Thanks again all!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.