Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Apr 5, 05, 7:59 am   #1
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Evergreen, CO
Posts: 1,452
Moonies in Airports

Older travelers recall that members of the Rev. Sun Myung Moon's church used to ask for alms in airports. I recall the airport authorities used to post signs to the effect that people were free to use their 1st Amendment rights to beg for alms...

Have not seen that recently. Is that a casualty of the post-9/11 security laws?
John Galt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 05, 9:51 am   #2
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Seattle, WA, USA
Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
Posts: 16,251
I haven't seen them (or any other group) for...decades...so I imagine any directive to keep them out pre-dates 9/11 by some time.

I like how Striker(?) handled them in the movie "Airplane".
SEA_Tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 05, 11:11 am   #3
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: ECP
Programs: HH - Sil, LQ - Elite
Posts: 12,412
They used to have a dedicated counter at SFO, at least through 1999. I don't recall passing it the last couple years. Not sure if it was Moonies, Hare Krishnas or maybe it was that cult that was waiting for a spaceship to take them home. That would provide an alternative explanation for their disappearance from the airport.
BamaVol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 05, 11:43 am   #4
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 9,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaVol
They used to have a dedicated counter at SFO, at least through 1999. I don't recall passing it the last couple years. Not sure if it was Moonies, Hare Krishnas or maybe it was that cult that was waiting for a spaceship to take them home. That would provide an alternative explanation for their disappearance from the airport.
SFO still has a "free speech" booth near the CO check-in counters. Just listen for the "excuse me sir/maam, can I ask you a question?" as you walk through Terminal 1.
rjque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 05, 12:29 pm   #5
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Back to the Buffalo. At least I'm close to Toronto.
Programs: Hilton, AA, SW, Delta
Posts: 4,358
I remember them! They used to hand me a book as I walked by. I used to just keep walking with the book. Boy that pissed them off. I figured if they wanted to hand me a free book no problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt
Older travelers recall that members of the Rev. Sun Myung Moon's church used to ask for alms in airports. I recall the airport authorities used to post signs to the effect that people were free to use their 1st Amendment rights to beg for alms...

Have not seen that recently. Is that a casualty of the post-9/11 security laws?
__________________
Oh, never mind.
MoreMilesPlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 05, 12:56 pm   #6
Used to be 'g_leyser'
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Arctic Vortex
Programs: AA PLT, HH Diamond, Starwood Gold, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Posts: 9,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEA_Tigger
I like how Striker(?) handled them in the movie "Airplane".
"Will you accept this flower from the Hare Krishnas?" PUNCH
"Jews for Jesus?" PUNCH

LMAO!


I haven't seen them in years - certainly since before 9/11. I also remember the people in the terminal that would hand out a pen or a key chain with a note that said "I'm deaf, please help me" or something to that effect. That ship sailed after 9/11 prohibited non-ticketed people through security. Can't say I miss them.
__________________
2013 US Rental Car Stats: Bluetooth 12/15 ; Free SiriusXM service 4/15
aisleorwindow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 05, 3:59 pm   #7
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Cows in Berkeley?....Moooo!
Programs: Fly Amtrak, Go Greyhound! I'm often wrong but always sincere.
Posts: 7,063
The free speech counters are still alive and well in the SFO domestic terminals. I have more than once seen a hapless traveler walk over thinking it was an information booth, poor folks!. Last time I was ever handed a book was by a hare chrisna (hope I got that right) at MSY in the early 90's
OutOfOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 6:25 pm.




SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.