Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Have you ever walked to the airport?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2015, 5:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Sant
In Sint Maarten, the Sonesta Maho Beach is walking distance to the airport terminal.
I did this several times last week.
Originally Posted by TailSpin
...I walked over to the taxi area and saw the standard fee to get to the other airport (and nearby hotel) 185 Dollars! ...
There is no "standard fee" in a taxi between airports in NYC. A driver was trying to hustle you.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 6:37 am

Programs: BA Executive Club (Silver), Le Club Accor (Silver)
I don't drive (through choice, never needed to bother getting a licence) and hate paying for rip-off taxis, so if an airport is lacking in the public transport department, I'm happy to work. I spent the day in Aland on Monday and walked from MHQ airport into Mariehamn... took around 50 minutes and was very pleasant.

Other locations where I've walked to or from the airport include:

SAN - just missed the bus and it was a nice day
BRE - early flight before the trams started running
GIB - enough said!
MIR - hotel wasn't far away
SXM - as above
BKI - walked from one terminal to the other... a lot further than it looked! Shocked there were no shuttle buses, only taxis
BPL - 2 mins to the prom then straight up to hotel
LAS - fine for the most part, except where the pavement ran out
SBH - such a small island and a pleasant walk
GUM - it wasn't recommended but a pavement kicks in at the bottom of the hill
DOH - hot hot hot... walked all the way round to the bar district Took hours (walking slowly)
BAH - I walked some distance out the airport until I found a bus stop
YYT - just missed the airport bus so walked a mile or two to another bus stop
FSP - a very pleasant 30 minute walk into St Pierre town
BRL - again, a pleasant hour or so walk into the centre of Burlington
BMA - walked in from nearby hotel
PLS - taxis on Provo are a complete rip off but a 20 minute walk gets you to a roundabout where the "jitneys" pick up

There will be more no doubt
Old Aug 20, 2015, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by sbm12
I did this several times last week.

There is no "standard fee" in a taxi between airports in NYC. A driver was trying to hustle you.
There was a printed sign at the front of the taxi queue with prices for various locations. Most likely giving "average expected" fares for those locations.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 12:20 pm

Not possible in India. They have bunch of road blocks and if one sees you walking with your luggage then you will have a lot of explaining to do plus delay your flight or even refuse boarding.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 1:19 pm

That's interesting about India; you shouldn't have to rely on a vehicle.

I've walked from midtown Manhattan to LGA (an hour and 45 minutes) on a beautiful spring day.

I've walked from LAS (annoying to have to go around the whole airport) and found someone's passport in the roadway, thus giving the trip additional meaning in locating its owner.

I've walked to the airport in Eilat, Israel, since it's right in the center of town.

I seem to remember taking a late-night bus from Edinburgh to Glasgow and then walking about 2 miles to the airport for a very-early-morning flight.

Have to try the LAX tips; thanks for those!

Seth
Old Aug 20, 2015, 3:10 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Chattersking
Not possible in India. They have bunch of road blocks and if one sees you walking with your luggage then you will have a lot of explaining to do plus delay your flight or even refuse boarding.
Hmm, I tried walking to AMM (Amman) from the highway (the minibus from Petra dropped me off there), but airport cops made some random driver take me the rest of the way.

I do remember that about India though.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
Hmm, I tried walking to AMM (Amman) from the highway (the minibus from Petra dropped me off there), but airport cops made some random driver take me the rest of the way.

I do remember that about India though.
Yes. Such is the way things are run. Its not just about security concerns but more about ill informed police and red tape bereucracy. Heck they even look down on you if you don't have a car. You either come with a car or a bus. Some airports dont even accept mobile booking on phone, they want a paper printout of e ticket. And wifi internet is free, but you need to enter a indian mobile number to use it.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 12:16 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sethweinstein
I've walked from midtown Manhattan to LGA (an hour and 45 minutes) on a beautiful spring day.
I had to Google it because it almost seems impossible that LGA is actually that close. Sure enough, from our NYC office to LGA is a 6.8 mile walking route! (Google says 2h15m, but in proper attire and wearing my usual short-trip backpack, I could probably cover it in well under 2 hours.)

Did you have any issues during the trek? Any particular routes to favor or avoid? Anything particularly interesting/scenic along the way? Did you follow Google's route or do you know the city well enough to deviate from that?

Would anything prevent one from doing the reverse - walking/running into Manhattan? I think if I ever did this, it'd be an afternoon flight into LGA where I'm not on a time schedule and don't particularly care what I look or smell like when I reach the hotel.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 1:32 pm

Programs: UA G 1.9MM, HH Diamond, Global Entry
I tried walking from my office in Crystal City to DCA. Big mistake. I thought it was easier than taking the Metro one stop.

No choice but to walk to the airport at KWA.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 1:37 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by pinniped
I had to Google it because it almost seems impossible that LGA is actually that close. Sure enough, from our NYC office to LGA is a 6.8 mile walking route! (Google says 2h15m, but in proper attire and wearing my usual short-trip backpack, I could probably cover it in well under 2 hours.)
Though I didn't walk between the two places, I've basically covered potential routes on previous walks.

If you're interested in spotting, this may help. Otherwise, it's not the most interesting walk, regardless of whether you take Northern Blvd./Astoria Blvd. for most of the way.

I suppose you could quickly head to Vernon Blvd. after crossing the 59th St. Bridge to get to the Sculpture Park/Roosevelt Island Bridge/Noguchi Museum, but beyond that and a variety of cuisines along the way, it's ho-hum.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 3:26 pm

Not sure if anyone has mentioned PSA (Pisa, Italy). Airport is 2 mi walk from the leaning tower.

BOS is easy if you're already in East Boston.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 3:35 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I've walked from LAS to the Strip before. I've run from the rental car facility back to the Strip at least a half-dozen times. Flying in for a conference, our usual plan is to fly out there Saturday morning, spend a couple days with the rental car, and then dump it off Sunday night or Monday morning before the conference starts. I always run back to the hotel after the drop-off...

This past weekend, we walked from MKC through downtown Kansas City to the Crossroads area. Didn't exactly plan on it though: we attended an air show there for which we had bus transportation *to* the event, but they vastly underestimated (by about 10x or 20x) how many buses would be needed to transport the crowds *out* of the event. So thousands of people trekked across the bridge, through town, and back to where most people parked their cars. It was about a 3 mile walk for us. It was kind of a crazy scene, actually...almost like a crowd leaving a sporting event, but with the cars miles away!
Old Aug 27, 2015, 2:39 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
walked a stop at SYD since the train to airport has a 12 AUD ransom. some 30 minute scenic walk then a shower at the QF F lounge.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 4:49 am

Programs: QF
Walked from the Ibis Budget Sydney (avoid) to SYD Business Lounge. Wasn't too bad really.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
I had to Google it because it almost seems impossible that LGA is actually that close.
Did you have any issues during the trek? Any particular routes to favor or avoid? Anything particularly interesting/scenic along the way? Did you follow Google's route or do you know the city well enough to deviate from that?
Would anything prevent one from doing the reverse - walking/running into Manhattan?
I don't remember exactly, but I'm sure I crossed the Queensboro Bridge (or whatever it's called now) and probably walked up along 31st Street under the subway to Astoria Boulevard, then forked left onto 23rd Avenue and left onto 94th Street. It's kind of a boring walk, but you pass by the wonderful Greek supermarket Titan Foods, so you can stock up if you do the trip in reverse (which is no problem; just take the rightmost exit from the central terminal and take the bridge over the Grand Central Parkway and you'll be on 94th Street). No issues regarding safety or problems along the route.

Doing most of the trip on Northern Boulevard might be faster, now that I look at it -- though maybe no more interesting. I just followed the route I know. BuildingMyBento's suggestion is a good one.

Seth

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.