Reload this Page >

Have you ever walked to the airport?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Have you ever walked to the airport?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2005, 5:16 pm

Programs: IHG Ambassador/Spire Elite/Kimpton Inner Circle. AA: Plat. SW, UA, DL, Alaska: nuttin'!
Originally Posted by chtiet
Ha ha, I actually walk to/from DCA ALL the time, and it only takes about 15 mins or so to/from Crystal City. There is actually a "long" way and a "short" way - the long way is all sidewalks and proper pedestrian crossings, whereas the short way involves crossing the access road when there is a gap in traffic (which is not a problem).
I lived in the Crystal Towers apartments in Crystal City for a few years, and walking to DCA was just as quick as taking the metro or a cab--I'd usually make the decision based on the weather conditions (including snow on the ground) and whether I was traveling with only a carry-on. I once left my apartment 20 minutes before departure time and basically ran straight onto the plane with a few minutes to spare--I think that was 1995. I felt like I set a world record for shortest time from residence to sitting in commercial airplane seat to departure.
Old Mar 19, 2005, 5:16 pm

I've been tempted to walk to LAS, but I've always wimped out or had a heavy bag.
Old Mar 20, 2005, 10:20 am
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Norway

Quite a number of Norwegian airports are eminently walkable. OSL really isn't; the beautiful walk along the fjord referred to in a previous post concerns the old airport at Fornebu (FBU) which closed in the late nineties. The present OSL is quite far inland, and is not really reachable from anywhere interesting on foot.

The most important "downtown" airport in Norway probably is Bodø (BOO). The passenger terminal is just over a mile from downtown, and there are dwellings just across the approach road, which runs parallell to the runway. BOO is also a major military air base; RNoAF shares the runway with the civilian traffic, but the base is on the other side of the runway. Quite a lot of activity there, especially F-16s of RNoAF. When I landed there last month, there was a large NATO excercise going on, and it was quite a sight as my SAS Braathens 737-700 landed, to se a full batttery of anti-aircraft missiles lined up along the runway.

Other "very close" jet airports are TOS (2 miles from downtown), MOL (3 miles), KSU (obviously ;-) 6 miles). TRD is quite a distance from Trondheim, but the growing town of Stjørdal (20.000 inhabitants, not that small for Norway!) is just on the other side of the runway from TRD.

And many of our STOL-airports are more or less in the centre of the community or village they serve: HFT, FRO, RRS (which used to have jet service).
Old Mar 20, 2005, 10:45 am
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
I did once when I stayed at a hotel very, very close the airport. It was somewhere in Texas, but for the life of me I can't remember where. I thought it was Amarillo, but it doesn't look like Amarillo has hotels really close to the airport.

It couldn't have been El Paso because always stay at the Camino Real in El Paso. Very nice old hotel. Now that would be a great FT Party hotel central.
Old Mar 20, 2005, 11:11 am
jfe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kicked out of all of them
Originally Posted by Punki
I did once when I stayed at a hotel very, very close the airport. It was somewhere in Texas, but for the life of me I can't remember where. I thought it was Amarillo, but it doesn't look like Amarillo has hotels really close to the airport.

It couldn't have been El Paso because always stay at the Camino Real in El Paso. Very nice old hotel. Now that would be a great FT Party hotel central.

It is a very nice hotels, very few left with authentic Tiffany domes, although the rooms are a little old.

Could have been the ELP Hilton, walking distance to the airport.
Old Mar 20, 2005, 11:37 am
Suspended

Maybe, jfe, but the only times I have been to ELP were for Chamber of Commerce events and they always put us in the Camino Real, where there was once a murder in the room next to us. It is still a very nice hotel.

So what do you think, jfe about an ELP party?
Old Mar 20, 2005, 7:34 pm
jfe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Talking

Originally Posted by Punki
So what do you think, jfe about an ELP party?
Sure, I can throw a baby shower
Old Mar 20, 2005, 7:50 pm

Programs: AA GLD (1MM), DL GLD, Marriott Plat, RCL D+, X Elite
Well, I walked from the Villa Malpensa to the terminal at Milan once on a nice day.
Old Mar 21, 2005, 12:12 am
Suspended

jfe, when is this blessed event scheduled to occur?
Old Mar 21, 2005, 8:40 am

Programs: WN A List Preferred and CP, AA, IHG Spire, Hertz #1 Gold 5*, Hilton Diamond, Enterprise Platinum
Originally Posted by wahooflyer
Any other easily walkable airports in the world?
STL to the Marriott is easily walkable. I've done so two or three times.
Old Mar 21, 2005, 8:55 am
jfe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Second or third week in June
Old Mar 21, 2005, 11:05 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Congrats.

Back on topic, I walk between LAX T1 and Sepulveda Blvd in 4 minutes, twice a week. For a short time post-WTC this entrance was closed to pedestrians, and the shuttle bus was MUCH slower.
Old Mar 21, 2005, 12:02 pm

Programs: bmi British Midland International Diamond Club
I once walked from my home in the suburb of St Peters to SYD Kingsford Smith Airport. Or rather I cheated. I was travelling light and it took me a good half an hour to walk and when I was just outside the airport I passed a car hire rental (at 0530 in the morning) and saw some people getting into a minibus. So I cheekily asked the driver if he'd give me a lift to the domestic terminal - and he said no worries, mate! So I saved another 10- 15 minutes walk! To the driver of that minivan, good on ya mate!
Old Mar 21, 2005, 2:14 pm

Berlin Tempelhof

Berlin Tempelhof is smack in the middle of the city. You exit the airport and either walk home if you live in the neighborhood, or catch the U-Bahn or bus to anywhere else.

It's a great historic airport, the site of the Allied airlift to keep Berlin alive during the 1948 blockade by the Soviets. It is also one of the few buildings completed by the Nazis. Landing there really feels like you're flying back in time.

Unfortunately, it only handles short flights from other German and European cities, and is peridocally threatened with closure. The last decree had it shutting down operation as of Octber 31, 2004, but that was rescinded. Once Schoenefeld is expanded into Berlin Brandenburg International to handle air traffic for the entire region, Tempelhof will almost surely close down for good.
Old Mar 21, 2005, 2:17 pm
Used to be 'Scooter'

Programs: Free Agent
I live in downtown San Diego, so if I have the time and a long flight ahead of me, I usually walk. Takes about an hour.

It's even better after flying into SAN after a long flight...the walk home is a great way to get the blood flowing again!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.