FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   can't pop ear after flight (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/397487-cant-pop-ear-after-flight.html)

spike74 Feb 6, 2005 8:13 pm

can't pop ear after flight

I have a cold and haven't been able to pop my right ear since landing this afternoon. What can I do to change the pressure in that ear? I can hear okay out of it (not perfect) but hear my own breathing at a louder level which is really annoying.

AinA Feb 6, 2005 8:27 pm

It sounds like it is plugged, I unfortunately encounter the same problem. I would try a few drops of hydrogen peroxide to loosen any wax, lay with the plugged ear towards the ceiling about 5 or 10 minutes then flush with warm water.

I have also heard about soaking a paper towel in boiling water and putting it in the bottom of a cup and holding it to your ear. Not so sure about this remedy though.

Odd sensation to hear one's own breathing though, isn't it?

Alison

(I am not a doctor, although I do play one on TV :D )

ijkh Feb 6, 2005 10:54 pm

Saline Nose spray

Warm it up and spray away. It will loosen up some of the "congestion" that is blocking your eustation tube and voila pop.

pdhenry Feb 7, 2005 6:29 am

Originally Posted by ijkh
Warm it up and spray away.

In the nose?? In the ear?? :confused:

GoldCircle Feb 7, 2005 7:22 am

First things first... EQUALISE. Pinch your nose and blow against you fingers, gently and increasing the pressure. If your eardrums become sore then release again slowly. That works in 95% of cases. After that I'd recommend the nasal solutions to expand and clear the eustation tube.

Failing that, see a doctor.

fokker50 Feb 7, 2005 7:40 am

Have you tried YAWNing? Yawn loudly, with open mouth. Usually works for me, at least at early stages of earblockage.

flytoeat Feb 7, 2005 8:08 am

Originally Posted by AlisoninAlaska
It sounds like it is plugged, I unfortunately encounter the same problem. I would try a few drops of hydrogen peroxide to loosen any wax, lay with the plugged ear towards the ceiling about 5 or 10 minutes then flush with warm water.

I have also heard about soaking a paper towel in boiling water and putting it in the bottom of a cup and holding it to your ear. Not so sure about this remedy though.

Odd sensation to hear one's own breathing though, isn't it?

Alison

(I am not a doctor, although I do play one on TV :D )

The hot water/cup thing works for me.

TRRed Feb 7, 2005 11:19 am

While many of us may try the method of holding your nose and blowing gently, I've frequently heard that that could cause eardrum damage if you blow too hard. If you haven't done it, there's no easy way to explain what is "too hard."

If the problem is more of a congestion problem than ear wax, if ijkh's suggestion for Saline mist isn't successful, the next step might be over-the-counter decongestants such as Afrin or Sudafed (or their generic equivalents). There are other threads discussing similar problems and tricks to try. Search on "Afrin" if you aren't otherwise having success, as that should locate several of them.

akap16isme Feb 7, 2005 11:31 am

Sudafed!

murphy Feb 7, 2005 4:48 pm

Screwdriver!

Just kidding. I've wanted to, though. It drives me bonkers.

zsmith2 Feb 7, 2005 7:10 pm

I hate when that happens. I just keep trying to blow and blow. I find that is you go fly again it helps!