Community
Wiki Posts
Search

To Germans

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2005, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

To Germans

When you travel to Zurich and the German speaking part of Switzerland do you tend to speak German or English with the local Swiss people?
Old Feb 2, 2005, 9:43 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Husband AA EXP (yeah!!) Hya Dia, Marriott
I'm not German (American), but I speak German with them & I believe the German Germans do too. Just an interesting sing-songy way of speaking Deutsch...
Old Feb 2, 2005, 9:46 pm

Programs: UA 1P, LH FTL, BA
German

German.
Why should I use English, if I speak the "native" language?
Almost anywhere people are much more helpful and friendly if you (try to) talk to them in their native language...

Edited to add: I am German.

Last edited by haubd; Feb 2, 2005 at 9:48 pm Reason: Added information
Old Feb 2, 2005, 9:55 pm
Original Poster

Well because Swiss German is vastly different from the German of Germany. I've heard Germans say they have quite a bit of difficulty understanding Swiss German. I've also had Swiss people tell me about speaking English with natives of Germany just to make things easier for both parties. You two must be wonderful linguists.

BTW, Heidi from Mandarin Oriental Munich says hello to you and RichardSF. 3 times in one day, "Hello, my name is Heidi". Wonderful hotel.

Last edited by bluewatersail; Feb 2, 2005 at 9:58 pm
Old Feb 2, 2005, 11:34 pm

There is Schwyzerdütsch (sp?) - and there is German with a Swiss accent.

The former is a dialect according to some, and a separate language according to others. It is as different from German as Dutch or Letzeburgisch (the language of Luxembourg). It's what Swiss people speak among themselves in informal situations.

German is the language of education, it is the language used in written communications, and until a couple of decades ago it was the only language used on TV and radio (there are now some stations that broadcast in Schwyzerdütsch).

There may still be some old people in some remote mountain villages that only speak Schwyzerdütsch, but as a general rule Swiss people can speak standard German and will switch to standard German the moment they realise that the other person is not Swiss. A Swiss speaking standard German is as intelligible to a German as an American speaking standard American English is to a British person.

Last edited by Aviatrix; Feb 2, 2005 at 11:36 pm
Old Feb 3, 2005, 8:24 am

... which is not to say that you can't recognize Swiss people speaking standard German from a mile away - and not just because of the accent, but also because of vocabulary and diction.

'Swiss German' and consequently 'Swiss standard German' contains lots of French words, like 'billet' for ticket, 'poulet' for chicken, or 'velo' for bike, which Swiss people will use in standard German. In Germany or Austria these terms will produce blank stares - and very often Swiss people are not familiar with the "proper" German expression. Also, Swiss German tends to be simpler grammatically, and consequently Swiss people tend not to use the genitive, for example. While this is perfectly fine in spoken language, it sounds unrefined in written language - which is why it is easy to recognize something that has been written by someone Swiss. Add to all this the fact that Swiss people tend to speak a lot more slowly, and you're set for having communication barriers. Once I witnessed a elderly Swiss lady trying to buy a waffle at a Christmas market in southern Germany - the woman selling asked in standard language and speed whether she wanted powdered sugar or apple sauce on the waffle for an extra 50 cents - it took another 2 minutes of explaining until the Swiss lady finally recovered from this expression -> and caught on.

A few Swiss people have actually told me that they do not like to speak standard German, and that they'd much rather speak English with someone who doesn't speak "Swiss"...

Last edited by chtiet; Feb 4, 2005 at 7:51 am
Old Feb 3, 2005, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by bluewatersail
Well because Swiss German is vastly different from the German of Germany. I've heard Germans say they have quite a bit of difficulty understanding Swiss German....
Actually, a German can not understand "Swiss-German", however, that may depend on the region they come from. I talk with my Swiss friends/customers German.
Old Feb 3, 2005, 9:44 am

You know it's quite different

When you watch the TV news, they often run German sub-titles, even when the announcer is speaking "standard" German. Austrian TV does this too, for that matter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.