Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

List Countries Here in Which Visitors May Be Eligible to Receive a Rebate

Old Jan 8, 2015, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Paul4Travel
COLOMBIA

Most of these posts are for purchases, but this is on your airline ticket itself.

There is about a US$70 equivalent refund if you stay less than 90 days in the country. It is for a tax that is charged when you purchase the ticket and is refunded in Colombian Pesos on the spot.

BUT, we have found sometimes the airline doesn't pay you if you do not know you are entitled to this! They have you get the form from the Customs window, have you sign the form and then they are SUPPOSED TO HAND YOU THE PESOS IN CASH.

ICELAND

You can get a tax rebate when you buy in one place for a minimum of ISK4000 (approx us$ 35-40 )
You can get the money at several location in town + at the Airport.

IRELAND

In Ireland, non EU citizens get the VAT back (sales tax) on purchases that are taken out of Europe.

You also get your VAT back if you are foreign & studying here and you buy anything in the 3 months before you leave, processed under the same system.

You get a card to make it simple.
Here's more info...
https://www.shoptaxfree.com/tourists/am-i-eligible/

There is even an iPhone app to help you claim back your Tax (up to 21%!)

TAIWAN

‧Requirements for VAT Refund
1. Foreign travelers holding passports from countries other than the R.O.C., travel documents or R.O.C. passports without personal ID numbers attached.

2. Foreign travelers who make purchases of at least NT$3,000 on the same day from the same Tax Refund Shopping (TRS)-posted store, are eligible for a refund of the 5% VAT paid on those purchased goods. To claim the refund, they must apply at the port of their departure from the R.O.C. within 30 days following the date of purchase, and they must take the purchased goods out of the country with them.

http://eng.taiwan.net.tw/m1.aspx?sNo=0002064#h8

TANZANIA

Further details here http://www.tra.go.tz/index.php/refund-to-non-citizens

THAILAND

Thailand has a VAT refund for all merchandise taken out of the country. There is a minimum purchase ( don't remember the number, but it's small on any day, the value of goods purchased at each participating store shall not be less than 2,000 baht, including VAT. The total amount claimed for refund must not be less than 5,000 baht, including VAT.), you get a form from the merchant and you have to show the merchandise at the airport before you check in. After that you get the refund inside the secure area after customs and immigration. For tax refunds of under 30,000 Baht, payment can be made to you in Thai Baht, bankers draft or to your credit card account. For cash payments, a 100 Baht processing fee will be deducted from the money refunded to you. If you are claiming back an amount in excess of 30,000 Baht, payment will be made by bank draft or credit card account. For refunds made by bank draft, the fee is 100 Baht plus the appropriate fees charged by the issuing bank.
Other details:http://www.rd.go.th/vrt/
Print Wikipost

List Countries Here in Which Visitors May Be Eligible to Receive a Rebate

Old Sep 2, 2007, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by AznMadSci
International visitors to Houston and San Antonio can receive the tax back charged to them if they submit their receipts along with their receipts, passport, airline ticket/I-94, and some times purchases. In Houston, the office is located in the Houston Galleria, thus making purchases their applicable to receiving tax back. Also, purchases done within close proximity to the Galleria can also qualify for tax back. A list of approved stores can be obtained in addition to more information can be found on the following website:

http://www.txtaxback.com/indexenglish.html
What great news - I had no idea! Thanks.
Old Nov 13, 2007, 8:58 pm

Programs: NW Gold/SPG Plat/Hilton Gold
Correct States With No Sales Tax

Originally Posted by flyzabit

TAX FREE - UNITED STATES FOR VISITORS Also, in the United States, the Louisiana thread http://www.louisianataxfree.com/ is on target with a rebate for foreign visitors.
Other states just don't have a sales tax: Alaska, Delaware, Hawaii, Montana, New Hampshire http://www.visitnh.gov/tax-free-shopping.html and Oregon.

Still other states don't tax food items at a grocery, children's clothing, OTC medicines, etc. There is a Wikipedia web page on this, with the various state information links:
Wikipedia Sales Tax Free Shopping U.S. FAQ page
Please note, that Hawaii most certainly charges a tax on things purchased, although it is not officially a sales tax. The states that do not have a sales tax are on most items: Delaware, New Hampshire, Alaska, Oregon and Montana. Many NE states do not charge sales tax on certain clothing transactions...including New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Connecticut and most of New York state.
Old Nov 13, 2007, 9:20 pm

Programs: Priceline Blood Diamond Elite. Peon on DL, AA, UA, US, and WN.
Clothing up to $175 is exempt from sales tax in Massachusetts.
Old Nov 30, 2007, 10:23 am
Suspended

To anyone who has read the initial thread, Canada has gotten rid of this. Nice visitor friendly country that. Might be best to stay stateside as a result.
Old Apr 19, 2008, 10:30 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond
this reminds me i never got my last ireland tax refund i signed up for...
Old Jun 24, 2008, 2:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Canarsie
I do not know of a centralized resource (FlyerTalk or otherwise) where one can access a list of countries that offer a rebate (cash, tax or otherwise) to visitors.

For example, I was in Italy twice and did not know that that country had a program.

The purpose of this thread is to give visitors of foreign nations, territories and other autonomous governments and regions a list of countries that offer a rebate of any sort, as well as a list of qualifications to apply for that rebate.

With the help of other FlyerTalk members, this thread will become quite a comprehensive list of resourceful information that may be quite useful to FlyerTalk members who could gain valuable knowledge and legally profit from it.
what about Egypt do you anything
thank
Old Oct 9, 2008, 3:33 pm

Programs: CO Plat Lifetime, Million Miler
U. K. VAT Refund

Besides the usual purchase refunds, if you are travelling on Business (you define it) and you are not an EC person, you can recover the VAT from your hotel bills, a goodly sum sometimes.

I got a booklet from HM Customs and Excise that gives the rules for the EC countries. Look at www.hmce.gov.uk See "VAT 65A - Application for refund of VAT by a business person who is not established in the community."

Of course it is up to you what you do with the refund...........
Old Oct 9, 2008, 10:38 pm

Becareful about some of the refund companies.

I have it happened to me in Italy, the "World refund Co." get $8 and I only get back $3.

Same thing happens in Thailand, England, France etc.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by Dovster
You not only are eligible for VAT refunds when you leave Israel but you do not have to pay VAT for your hotel stay.
I never knew about the hotel part. Does that mean when you check in?
Old Jan 9, 2009, 4:00 pm

I don't think you get GST rebate on accommodation in Canada.

anuj
Old Mar 21, 2009, 10:10 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
The Canada rebate program changed in 2007. GST/HST rebates are limited to participants in defined tour operator programs and foreign conventions held in Canada. See http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/bsnss/tp.../menu-eng.html
Old Jun 6, 2009, 2:08 pm

Programs: AA lifetime gold, BA, AC, CX, AS, DL, AF(gold), IHG(plt), SPG(gold), HHONORS, .
ICELAND
Just returned from Reykjavik (KEF) Iceland.
You can get a tax rebate when you buy in one place for a minimum of ISK4000 (approx
us$ 35-40 )
You can get the money at several location in town + at the Airport.
Michael
Old Jun 6, 2009, 2:15 pm

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL DM; EK SLV; HHonors DIAM; Marriott GLD
Another website for foreign visitors to Texas

http://www.taxfreetexas.com/requirements.htm

With a bit of planning, foreign visitors to Texas can get the hefty sales taxes refunded... this website is in addition to the previous post mentioning a firm that offers rebates in Houston and San Antonio.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Anybody know about sales tax refund for UK visitors to California?

thanks
Old Mar 13, 2010, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by colevalleytim
Anybody know about sales tax refund for UK visitors to California?

thanks
none. California is broke.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.