Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

List Countries Here in Which Visitors May Be Eligible to Receive a Rebate

Old Jan 8, 2015, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Paul4Travel
COLOMBIA

Most of these posts are for purchases, but this is on your airline ticket itself.

There is about a US$70 equivalent refund if you stay less than 90 days in the country. It is for a tax that is charged when you purchase the ticket and is refunded in Colombian Pesos on the spot.

BUT, we have found sometimes the airline doesn't pay you if you do not know you are entitled to this! They have you get the form from the Customs window, have you sign the form and then they are SUPPOSED TO HAND YOU THE PESOS IN CASH.

ICELAND

You can get a tax rebate when you buy in one place for a minimum of ISK4000 (approx us$ 35-40 )
You can get the money at several location in town + at the Airport.

IRELAND

In Ireland, non EU citizens get the VAT back (sales tax) on purchases that are taken out of Europe.

You also get your VAT back if you are foreign & studying here and you buy anything in the 3 months before you leave, processed under the same system.

You get a card to make it simple.
Here's more info...
https://www.shoptaxfree.com/tourists/am-i-eligible/

There is even an iPhone app to help you claim back your Tax (up to 21%!)

TAIWAN

‧Requirements for VAT Refund
1. Foreign travelers holding passports from countries other than the R.O.C., travel documents or R.O.C. passports without personal ID numbers attached.

2. Foreign travelers who make purchases of at least NT$3,000 on the same day from the same Tax Refund Shopping (TRS)-posted store, are eligible for a refund of the 5% VAT paid on those purchased goods. To claim the refund, they must apply at the port of their departure from the R.O.C. within 30 days following the date of purchase, and they must take the purchased goods out of the country with them.

http://eng.taiwan.net.tw/m1.aspx?sNo=0002064#h8

TANZANIA

Further details here http://www.tra.go.tz/index.php/refund-to-non-citizens

THAILAND

Thailand has a VAT refund for all merchandise taken out of the country. There is a minimum purchase ( don't remember the number, but it's small on any day, the value of goods purchased at each participating store shall not be less than 2,000 baht, including VAT. The total amount claimed for refund must not be less than 5,000 baht, including VAT.), you get a form from the merchant and you have to show the merchandise at the airport before you check in. After that you get the refund inside the secure area after customs and immigration. For tax refunds of under 30,000 Baht, payment can be made to you in Thai Baht, bankers draft or to your credit card account. For cash payments, a 100 Baht processing fee will be deducted from the money refunded to you. If you are claiming back an amount in excess of 30,000 Baht, payment will be made by bank draft or credit card account. For refunds made by bank draft, the fee is 100 Baht plus the appropriate fees charged by the issuing bank.
Other details:http://www.rd.go.th/vrt/
Print Wikipost

List Countries Here in Which Visitors May Be Eligible to Receive a Rebate

Old Aug 10, 2006, 2:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
Originally Posted by gilpin
In addition to these and Delaware which was mentioned first, are South Dakota and Montana.
Since as already pointed out there is no federal VAT it would be upto each state and in many cases counties to refund sales tax. Here in new york state it is 4% across the state plus whatever county sales tax there is which can be upto 5.5% but is 4.375% here in NYC.
cheers
howie
Old Aug 10, 2006, 8:37 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by SchmeckFlyer
SOUTH AFRICA

<snip>

Warning
The bureaucrats are incredibly strict about the requirements of claiming VAT. Everything must be perfectly in order, including every last detail on a VAT invoice. When you purchase something, be sure to ask for VAT invoice specifically. SA Revenue Service has handy brochures upon arrival near immigration that outlines in detail all the requirements for claiming VAT.
So true. We were just denied a VAT refund in South Africa for our most costly purchase solely because both my and my husband's names were on the receipt. None of our other purchases had any names on the receipt and those were processed just fine. If a shopkeeper starts to put your name on a receipt, I suggest you ask them not to do so.
Old Oct 27, 2006, 5:26 pm

The GST visitor rebate program in Canada will be eliminated starting April 1st, 2007. See link:
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tax/nonresi...tors/qa-e.html

Originally Posted by Canarsie
I do not know of a centralized resource (FlyerTalk or otherwise) where one can access a list of countries that offer a rebate (cash, tax or otherwise) to visitors.

For example, I was in Italy twice and did not know that that country had a program.

The purpose of this thread is to give visitors of foreign nations, territories and other autonomous governments and regions a list of countries that offer a rebate of any sort, as well as a list of qualifications to apply for that rebate.

With the help of other FlyerTalk members, this thread will become quite a comprehensive list of resourceful information that may be quite useful to FlyerTalk members who could gain valuable knowledge and legally profit from it.

I will start with an easy one:

CANADA

Tax refund for visitorsPlease try to keep the same format as this milepost for easy legibility.

I look forward to the contributions of valuable information from other FlyerTalk members, whom I will thank in advance.
Old Nov 23, 2006, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by pip_kuruvilla

The GST visitor rebate program in Canada will be eliminated starting April 1st, 2007. See link:
What a shame.

We crossed from New Brunswick into upper Maine 2 weeks ago at Houlton and got about $50-60 CASH back - entirely due to to me reading this thread just before we left home.

Thanks Canarsie. ^

We even got taxes back for buying stuff at Wal Marts and and other stores like that.

Clerk did all paperwork for us, AND gave us 10% discount off all duty free in their store, as we had done the GST refund via them. Amazing. ^

I'll repeat the warning - NEVER use the GST Refund forms all large shopping centres etc hand out. The fees, loadings, minimums, and card fee charges mean from $50 you'll get near zero was my guess.

Glen
Old Nov 23, 2006, 3:21 am

Originally Posted by ozstamps
I'll repeat the warning - NEVER use the GST Refund forms all large shopping centres etc hand out. The fees, loadings, minimums, and card fee charges mean from $50 you'll get near zero was my guess.
I applied for a tax return directly with the govt agency and for some reason they did not refund my credit card but sent me a check for something like 40 CAD. Now, what do I do with the check? - banks in Israel would take almost all that amount on handling and exchange fees ...
Old Dec 8, 2006, 12:48 pm
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Originally Posted by apirchik
I applied for a tax return directly with the govt agency and for some reason they did not refund my credit card but sent me a check for something like 40 CAD. Now, what do I do with the check? - banks in Israel would take almost all that amount on handling and exchange fees ...
I actually got my check for GST the last time I was in Canada (May this year) in NOK, drawn on a Norwegian bank. Nearly as convenient as a Credit Card refund, and quite surprizing as NOK isn't exactly the biggest currecy around!
Old Dec 19, 2006, 12:28 pm

Does anyone know if visitors to the Czech Republic are eligible to recieve a rebate? I didn't see it on this list so far and my husband and I just bought a place there and will be traveling there often in the next few years. If you know anything about rebates for the Czech Republic please let me know.

Thanks!
Old Feb 15, 2007, 12:08 pm

Programs: NW, AA
Work for Watches (Rolex, Patek)

I've always wondered about this.

Is it cheaper to buy a Rolex in Geneva or Zurich because you can claim the VAT back- approx. 19%?

If the discount is substantial enough, it would be worth a MR.

Jayson
Old Feb 15, 2007, 12:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Not a good idea at all.

For a start, the VAT rate in Switzerland is 7.6%. You then have to take into consideration the conversion charges from US $ to CHF and the charges that you will incur in order to get your VAT refund.

Nor is Switzerland a particularly inexpensive country in which to buy anything -- including watches.

I bought a Tissot there a few years ago and when I got back to Israel found it was cheaper here (and that includes our 18% VAT rate).
Old Feb 20, 2007, 10:22 am

Programs: Most....Four elite air/ Three hotel elites - UA MillionMiler - DL RWT alum
I do not know of a centralized resource (FlyerTalk or otherwise) where one can access a list of countries that offer a rebate (cash, tax or otherwise) to visitors....
For Example:
CANADA

Tax refund for visitors
Here is the brochure http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/tg/rc4031/rc4031-06e.pdf and the form: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pbg/gf/gst176/gst176-06e.pdf
Note that there is NO FEE for the official Canadian form that gets mailed to Prince Edward Island for processing.
Note the NATIONAL minimum is $50CAD on a receipt, or $200 on a hotel bill before GST and local taxes. Only need stamping at a customs office if the receipt is over $250, and not if it is a hotel bill (another change last summer).
Post #32 says 7% GST...that was reduced to 6% on July 1, 2006.
-------------------

I think it is important to add for Canada, that you may also receive the 8% ONTARIO sales tax (RST) back on tax of the national 6% GST/HST (formerly 7%) if your receipts are over $625 CAD (8% x $50 refund minimum). (Note: British Columbia does not have this rebate. Others like Quebec do...see Post #32).
You have 4 years to apply for the Ontario refund, assuming you removed the items from Canada within 30 days of purchase.
See http://www.fin.gov.on.ca/english/res.../visitors.html . The local application is at http://www.fin.gov.on.ca/english/tax...t/pdf/0298.pdf . It is not included in the Canadian NATIONAL one (which does NOT charge you a fee), but I saw a combination request in a commercial rebate service's brochure, which had $20 fee or so...
--------------------------
First the potential BAD NEWS. Canada is PROPOSING TO STOP their rebate effective April 1, 2007.

Changes to the GST Visitors’ Rebate Program
On September 25, 2006, the Government of Canada proposed amendments to the Excise Tax Act that would eliminate the GST part of the Visitor Rebate, effective April 1, 2007. The proposed amendments have not yet become law.

Visitor rebate claims filed, to recover GST on purchases of goods and short-term accommodations made after March 31, 2007, will be held by the CRA and will not be processed until the proposed amendments become law. If the proposed amendments become law, the claims will be disallowed effective April 1, 2007.
Questions & Answers

The Questions & Answers set out below are based on the proposed amendments as announced by the Department of Finance. At the time of publication, Parliament has not enacted the proposed amendments to the legislation. Any commentary should not be taken as a statement by the CRA that such amendments will in fact be enacted into law in their current form.

* General
* Individual
* Business
* Tourism Industry

General

Q.1. What are the rebates covered by the Visitors’ Rebate Program and which of these will be eliminated?

A.1. Rebates covered by the Visitors’ Rebate Program include:

* the rebate for goods exported by non-resident consumers;
* the rebates for visitors’ short-term accommodation in Canada; and
* the rebates in respect of non-resident convention expenses in Canada.

GST/HST rebates for commercial exports, which are not part of the Visitors’ Rebate Program, will continue as before...

Last edited by flyzabit; Feb 20, 2007 at 10:35 am
Old Feb 20, 2007, 11:02 am

Programs: Most....Four elite air/ Three hotel elites - UA MillionMiler - DL RWT alum
Originally Posted by apirchik
The Canadian Government agency usually sends the check out in the currency of the address / country that you use as a return address/residence. Did you send it in with a Canadian address? I hear the credit card refund is still in the works.

If not, try contacting the Canadian embassy or local Consul General. They may be able to cash it to local currency, or pouch it back for further processing. (Got any friends there that will take a 3rd party endorsement? Donate it to a Canadian synagogue or Canadian charity, endorsed of course?)

I got a no-fee Ukrainian Credit Union account (there are several fee-free credit unions in Canada, especially in B.C.) due to in-laws in Canada, and the need to be able to access CAD$ on travel there. They also have USD$ accounts, so you can transfer funds between each of those two currencies. I'm waiting for online access so I can go PayPal.
Old Feb 20, 2007, 11:27 am

I do not know of a centralized resource (FlyerTalk or otherwise) where one can access a list of countries that offer a rebate (cash, tax or otherwise) to visitors.
First: Internationally: Remember the little "Tax Free Shopping" flag outside tourist boutiques? They can get sales tax / VAT refunds for 35 countries. That is probably the place to start, with the names of those countries, and then look for their governmental link. Global Refund does also have some other refund resources to get them quicker, consolidated, etc.

TAX FREE SHOPPING - GLOBAL REFUND.COM

Global Refund.com FAQ page
Global Refund can help you receive your VAT/GST refunds from shopping in Argentina, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Korea, Lebanon, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Singapore, Slovenia, Slovakia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey and United Kingdom.

TAX FREE - UNITED STATES FOR VISITORS Also, in the United States, the Louisiana thread http://www.louisianataxfree.com/ is on target with a rebate for foreign visitors.
Other states just don't have a sales tax: Alaska, Delaware, Hawaii, Montana, New Hampshire http://www.visitnh.gov/tax-free-shopping.html and Oregon.

Still other states don't tax food items at a grocery, children's clothing, OTC medicines, etc. There is a Wikipedia web page on this, with the various state information links:
Wikipedia Sales Tax Free Shopping U.S. FAQ page
Old Apr 11, 2007, 2:18 am

Nice thread. This is really helpful. Thanks.
Old May 4, 2007, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
Canada stopped tax refund for tourists on Apr 1st
Old Jun 5, 2007, 2:21 pm

Programs: A3 Gold
Smile Houston and San Antonio Tax Back Offices

International visitors to Houston and San Antonio can receive the tax back charged to them if they submit their receipts along with their receipts, passport, airline ticket/I-94, and some times purchases. In Houston, the office is located in the Houston Galleria, thus making purchases their applicable to receiving tax back. Also, purchases done within close proximity to the Galleria can also qualify for tax back. A list of approved stores can be obtained in addition to more information can be found on the following website:

http://www.txtaxback.com/indexenglish.html

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.