Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

List Countries Here in Which Visitors May Be Eligible to Receive a Rebate

Old Jan 8, 2015, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Paul4Travel
COLOMBIA

Most of these posts are for purchases, but this is on your airline ticket itself.

There is about a US$70 equivalent refund if you stay less than 90 days in the country. It is for a tax that is charged when you purchase the ticket and is refunded in Colombian Pesos on the spot.

BUT, we have found sometimes the airline doesn't pay you if you do not know you are entitled to this! They have you get the form from the Customs window, have you sign the form and then they are SUPPOSED TO HAND YOU THE PESOS IN CASH.

ICELAND

You can get a tax rebate when you buy in one place for a minimum of ISK4000 (approx us$ 35-40 )
You can get the money at several location in town + at the Airport.

IRELAND

In Ireland, non EU citizens get the VAT back (sales tax) on purchases that are taken out of Europe.

You also get your VAT back if you are foreign & studying here and you buy anything in the 3 months before you leave, processed under the same system.

You get a card to make it simple.
Here's more info...
https://www.shoptaxfree.com/tourists/am-i-eligible/

There is even an iPhone app to help you claim back your Tax (up to 21%!)

TAIWAN

‧Requirements for VAT Refund
1. Foreign travelers holding passports from countries other than the R.O.C., travel documents or R.O.C. passports without personal ID numbers attached.

2. Foreign travelers who make purchases of at least NT$3,000 on the same day from the same Tax Refund Shopping (TRS)-posted store, are eligible for a refund of the 5% VAT paid on those purchased goods. To claim the refund, they must apply at the port of their departure from the R.O.C. within 30 days following the date of purchase, and they must take the purchased goods out of the country with them.

http://eng.taiwan.net.tw/m1.aspx?sNo=0002064#h8

TANZANIA

Further details here http://www.tra.go.tz/index.php/refund-to-non-citizens

THAILAND

Thailand has a VAT refund for all merchandise taken out of the country. There is a minimum purchase ( don't remember the number, but it's small on any day, the value of goods purchased at each participating store shall not be less than 2,000 baht, including VAT. The total amount claimed for refund must not be less than 5,000 baht, including VAT.), you get a form from the merchant and you have to show the merchandise at the airport before you check in. After that you get the refund inside the secure area after customs and immigration. For tax refunds of under 30,000 Baht, payment can be made to you in Thai Baht, bankers draft or to your credit card account. For cash payments, a 100 Baht processing fee will be deducted from the money refunded to you. If you are claiming back an amount in excess of 30,000 Baht, payment will be made by bank draft or credit card account. For refunds made by bank draft, the fee is 100 Baht plus the appropriate fees charged by the issuing bank.
Other details:http://www.rd.go.th/vrt/
Print Wikipost

List Countries Here in Which Visitors May Be Eligible to Receive a Rebate

Old Feb 7, 2005, 11:46 pm

Programs: TG Gold, NW Gold and various other bits of plastic...
Originally Posted by terenz
Spend THB 2,000+ in the same (participating) store on the same day
Store has to fill out the rebate form
Minimum total purchase of THB 5,000 from all forms

If the goods are checked-in, have to present them to customs for inspection. If carry on, there's a rebate desk after immigration.

Tax is 7%.
Not a rebate but a discount to ask for in Thailand...

Some stores will give a 5% discount for tourists (I've had it in a couple of department stores in BKK). I've been given this discount without even asking for it (obviously because I looked like a tourist). This may be related to a Tourism Authority promotion but I've not seen the promotion at the time I got the discount so it's always worth asking!
Old Feb 8, 2005, 2:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
You not only are eligible for VAT refunds when you leave Israel but you do not have to pay VAT for your hotel stay.
Old Feb 11, 2005, 8:15 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by Dovster
You not only are eligible for VAT refunds when you leave Israel but you do not have to pay VAT for your hotel stay.
Canada is the only other country I know that gives GST back on accomodation too.
Old Feb 16, 2005, 7:57 pm

Programs: SQ G, Hyatt D, Shangri-La G, Hilton G, Marriott G, IC PrCl G
Singapore

This might be useful information about the GST refunds in Singapore:
http://www.customs.gov.sg/travel/travel2.html
Old Mar 30, 2005, 6:00 am

Programs: BA GfL
CHILE

Automatically waives (those outrageous) taxes (that U.S. state and local governments charge) on hotel rooms for foreigners when paying in foreign currency. I wish other countries, especially U.S. states, follow suit.
Old Apr 1, 2005, 6:35 am

Programs: Mucci Reperateur des Coeurs Brises
SOUTH AFRICA

VAT is refunded for all goods purchased, usually at a rate of 14%. Services that levied VAT cannot have the VAT refunded, such as photo processing, watch repair and hotel stays. One can only claim VAT back at Johannesburg, Cape Town and Durban international airports and select seaports (i.e. not at border crossings into Namibia or Zimbabwe).

A administration fee of R75 or some percent of the total value of VAT claimed, whichever is highest, is deducted from the VAT refunded.

Expediting VAT processing upon departure
To avoid queues at the VAT reclaim offices post immigration and minimize tiime spent at the airport, bring all your receipts and VAT invoices to VAT offices in either Sandton City mall (Johannesburg) or the Victoria & Alfred Waterfront (Cape Town). They will screen all your invoices to ensure acceptibility and then produce a document indicating how much VAT you may receive. One has then simply to the express line at the VAT offices post-immgration, and it only takes 1 or 2 minutes to complete formalities and isssue you with a VAT cheque.

Packing your VAT purchases into hold luggage
You can have your VAT items inspected before checking-in, thus allowing you to put the items in the hold rather than lugging it aboard. This process tends to be much quicker if you have gone to the VAT offices in Sandton or the Waterfront, and the inspectors do not seem nearly so insistent you prove your purchases (which is helpful for visitors with family in SA).

Warning
The bureaucrats are incredibly strict about the requirements of claiming VAT. Everything must be perfectly in order, including every last detail on a VAT invoice. When you purchase something, be sure to ask for VAT invoice specifically. SA Revenue Service has handy brochures upon arrival near immigration that outlines in detail all the requirements for claiming VAT.

Oh, temporary residents can also get VAT back.
Old Apr 17, 2005, 11:49 am

Programs: AC E; Hyatt-Diamond
Japan

In Japan, you can get the 5% tax back in some places (typically department stores and large chain retailers). The procedure to do this is as follows:

1) First as the staff it they have tax-free for visitors ("Men Zei" in Japanese) - if they don't understand, try showing them your passport. All places require you to spend at least 10,000 yen (approx. USD$100) to qualify for duty-free.

2) If they say yes, one of 2 things might happen:
a) they process the duty-free right there - they will ask you to put your name and signature on a form which they will paste in your passport; then you will only have to pay for 95% of the price of the goods (if the price tag shows a "tax-in" price)
b) they will ask you to pay for the entire price of the good (including tax); then you will have to take the receipt to their customer service location. There they will ask you to put your name and signature on a form which they will paste in your passport. Then they will refund the 5% you paid earlier.

There is no other step after this. You do not have to show your goods or anything at the airport. The slips of paper in your passport will be taken out when you pass customs on the day of your departure.
Old Jun 11, 2005, 4:13 am

Programs: Priceline Blood Diamond Elite. Peon on DL, AA, UA, US, and WN.
Smile

Originally Posted by Dovster
As foreign tourist who rented a car in Israel in March/April '04, I didn't have to pay VAT on that either!
Old Jun 21, 2005, 8:51 pm

France

Deleted.

Last edited by Aileron; Nov 21, 2008 at 4:39 pm
Old Jun 24, 2005, 7:32 am

Canada: pre-dawn refund at Peace Bridge?

I'll have about $240 in Ontario hotel receipts. I understand that these are eligible for a refund of the 7% GST, but not the Ontario tax, so we aren't talking about that big an amount. I'll be checking out in Fort Erie a little past 4 a.m. to get a 6.45 flight out of BUF. It would be nice to get the refund on the spot rather than use the mail. I see that the Peace Bridge duty-free shop is open 24/7, but is it difficult, or awkward, to get the refund there at that hour, especially if I'm not planning to buy anything? If I can get the refund in cash, there's the question of whether to take it in Canadian or U.S. I'll return to Canada within the next year: any forecasts of where the exchange rate will go, and will the shop give USD at a fair exchange rate?
Old Jul 3, 2005, 4:28 pm

And in America..?
Originally Posted by Aileron
In France, certain merchants will arrange for you to receive a return of your VAT generally if you spend a certain minimum amount. You'll need your passport and to have the shop fill out a "dtaxe" form.

The form needs to be presented ALONG WITH THE GOODS to the Customs counter at the airport AFTER you have your boarding pass. (In case you have packed the items in your checked bags, be very nice and friendly with French Customs and they may let you go.)

The Customs officer will stamp the forms, retain one copy and give you another copy which you will put into a pre-addressed, postage paid envelope and drop in the mailbox. (At CDG, there is a mailbox opposite the counter.)

Instead of asking for a check in Euros, have the tax refund credited to one of your credit cards.
Old Jul 3, 2005, 4:31 pm

Thanks for the reply.What happens in America..?
Old Jul 3, 2005, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by jalia
And in America..?

nothing.
Old Jul 3, 2005, 4:40 pm

Programs: Priceline Blood Diamond Elite. Peon on DL, AA, UA, US, and WN.
In America - governments keep your money.
Old Jul 3, 2005, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by photog72
In America - governments keep your money.
what did you expect?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.