Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Does any airline charge for gate checked bags?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2014, 1:53 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

After a recent flight on another airline, I'm afraid that airlines will start (if not already) becoming overly strict about carry-on and insist on checking bags in even if only a 1/2 inch too big or if the sides bulge a little then charging for gate check in.

Does United (or America or Delta or ...) use this sneaky strategy?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 22, 2014 at 2:21 pm Reason: Made question generic before move
Old Oct 22, 2014, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
To date, I have not seen DL charge for gate checked bags.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
IMO, all airlines should be extremely strict about carry-on sizes, and should charge extra if a bag must be gate-checked because it is too big. It is not a sneaky strategy, but the accurate enforcement of published rules.

That said, DL and most other US domestic airlines do not do either of these things.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 2:02 pm

They gate check. But don't charge.

Yet
Old Oct 22, 2014, 2:07 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Is the plan to ask this question in every forum?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...cked-bags.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...heck-bags.html
Old Oct 22, 2014, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by Box5
I'm afraid that airlines will start (if not already) becoming overly strict about carry-on and insist on checking bags in even if only a 1/2 inch too big or if the sides bulge a little then charging for gate check in.

Does AA use this sneaky strategy?
One could argue that the customer taking a slightly oversized bag to the gate in order to check it for free is also a sneaky strategy.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 2:16 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
(Speaking of AA.)

Nope. As long as you're talking about 1) when towards the end of boarding there's no more overhead space or 2) you're on a tiny plane and nothing fits up there.

I've been researching this a little bit recently, the key dimension is the "height" dimension. If that is under or around 9" then it'll fit comfortably on most flights, and most of the "templates" or "checkers."

Mine and I think a lot of other ppl's pet peeves are when a luggage doesn't fit wheels first. I think as long as it fits wheel first, it should be okay. For many years I was boarding like zone 5 so I'm extra conscious that my luggage doesn't take up more overhead space than is necessary, so that the late boarding folks can still have a spot.

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 22, 2014 at 2:55 pm Reason: add provenance / context
Old Oct 22, 2014, 2:24 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Due to the generic nature of this discussion (and similiar posts in (UA, AA, DL forum), I will change the title and move to TravelBuzz. Have advised the other forum mods.

OP -- please don't post essentially the same question in multiple forums. TravelBuzz is the proper forum for such generic requests.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Oct 22, 2014, 2:48 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
On AA, if your bag doesn't fit the template (exceeds the dimensions given on the wep page) they are entirely within their right to take your bag and require you to check it in and charge you what you were attempting to evade in the first place.

This will happen when they catch you at or before security. At the gate they will usually gate check your oversized bag without charge (but IMO are completely justified if they choose to change this situation and charge you).
Old Oct 22, 2014, 2:50 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
By the way, welcome to FlyerTalk. Be aware cross-posting across several fora is prohibited on FlyerTalk; your other identical posts have been deleted. We have moved replies to this remaining, moved thread.
__________________ JDiver, Senior Moderator

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 22, 2014 at 2:56 pm
Old Oct 22, 2014, 4:32 pm

Spirit charges for all bags except "personal items" (e.g., purses, school backpacks).
Old Oct 22, 2014, 4:39 pm

Yes, United has charged for them.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 5:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
All of the major carriers theoretically charge, but it is rare because it delays departure.

Far better to charge for all non-compliant bags at the gate and to impose a significant penalty surcharge, tag the bag to the baggage office at the destination and have the scammers line up at the baggage office to pay.

The flight goes out on schedule, those who can't use a measuring tape or count suffer and sooner or later, the boarding process becomes relatively efficient.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 5:28 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Due to the generic nature of this discussion (and similiar posts in (UA, AA, DL forum), I will change the title and move to TravelBuzz. Have advised the other forum mods.

OP -- please don't post essentially the same question in multiple forums. TravelBuzz is the proper forum for such generic requests.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Sorry, but I only wanted to know for 3 airlines, not all the small ones, like Sun Country.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 5:31 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gooselee
IMO, all airlines should be extremely strict about carry-on sizes, and should charge extra if a bag must be gate-checked because it is too big. It is not a sneaky strategy, but the accurate enforcement of published rules.

If you're trying to bring a footlocker, I can see the point, but defending a charge because they say that the wheel protrudes past the limit is too strict. If such is the case, passengers should (but can't) be equally strict towards airlines when then use the weather excuse.

I once flew on a flight between two cities about 150 miles apart. The weather was fine. However, they claimed that if there's bad weather anywhere in the country, they can claim the whole airline is suffering because of bad weather.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.