Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 2M HH Diamond
FCC to Allow Wireless Access on Planes

I am sure a lot of you (me included) cannot wait for this day to be here

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp..._air_travelers
Old Dec 15, 2004, 2:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP; UAMM
I, for one, dread this day.

Several hundred people stuck in a very small space for many hours with many of these people obliviously talking at louder-than-normal conversational levels to phantoms in the ether. Not that everybody is inconsiderate of others when talking on a cell phone, but there does seem to be something of "I'm not here, I'm in my own world" when talking on a cell phone.

So count me out of those looking forward to the day.

How do others feel?

Is this a "good thing" or a "not good thing"?

Or is there a more nuanced response?
Old Dec 15, 2004, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA 1MM; Hilton Diamond
The article is about wireless internet, not wireless phones. They're still asking for comments on phone use.
Old Dec 15, 2004, 2:29 pm

Programs: SPG-Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by nor4
I, for one, dread this day.

Several hundred people stuck in a very small space for many hours with many of these people obliviously talking at louder-than-normal conversational levels to phantoms in the ether. Not that everybody is inconsiderate of others when talking on a cell phone, but there does seem to be something of "I'm not here, I'm in my own world" when talking on a cell phone.

So count me out of those looking forward to the day.

How do others feel?

Is this a "good thing" or a "not good thing"?

Or is there a more nuanced response?
I can only agree with you. I'm, for one, having a cell phone, but I do also have respect for others around me. Therefore, my cell phone is always off when I'm in public areas. When I'm expecting important calls, I put the phone in vibrations mode and when it vibe, then I move into a more quiet area, where I'll be disturbing the minimum number of people, if any!

I suspect the cell phone is a game for many people, to fulfill a feeling of self importance and to show others that they are important too. I'm not a psychologist by all means, but I had observed public for the last 15 years and I don't think I'd be that way off.

I can only imagine a big shot salesman trying to close a deal in a plane with the cell phone, while 4 other people around him are watching him while he tries to turn on his laptop and send the customer an email!! I guess the bathroom will become a phone booth!!

Last edited by Super Larry; Dec 15, 2004 at 2:31 pm
Old Dec 15, 2004, 2:35 pm

Programs: NW Gold and now Delta Gold
a rumor I heard is that there will be IF gambling

Just a little bird in my ear but I heard the approval will be the first step toward getting inflight "online" gambling. Don't know how true this is.

Originally Posted by potzel1
I am sure a lot of you (me included) cannot wait for this day to be here

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp..._air_travelers
Old Dec 15, 2004, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well the article is about wireless Internet access, which I'm all for.

Cell phones in flight have been discussed ad naseaum in other threads. One thing that I did just find out about, however, was a study confirming what I've been saying all along - people are annoyed with cell phone users because they can only hear one side of the conversation.
Old Dec 15, 2004, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by peachfront
Just a little bird in my ear but I heard the approval will be the first step toward getting inflight "online" gambling. Don't know how true this is.
I guess the flights to Vegas are gonna become hot sellers!!! Or maybe it will be a true Inflight Gambling. What ever you win on board has to be spent on board!!
Old Dec 15, 2004, 2:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: ANA PLAT,CI GOLD,LH SEN,Hyatt Gold.
I have used the service on Lufthansa and its very useful and actually proved to me that it can save you a lot of headaches for spending too much time sipping wine and watching movies at 32000 feet thinking thats it nothing to do now for the next 12 hours might as well get stuck into some hospitality.
Old Dec 15, 2004, 3:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Lifetime Gold, UA LifetMarriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
My thought: If people want to talk on their cell phone on a plane, the airlines should request them as what some restaurants have already done, "Step out of the plane (restaurant)".

35,000 feet on a 6 hours flight, I prefer not to hear my seatmates yapping non-stop about their pets, parents, kids, back hair removal or botox.
Old Dec 15, 2004, 3:36 pm

Programs: Amtrak slumbercoach value club
None of the accounts I've seen in the last couple of days have done a good job with getting the basic facts right or sorting out the difference between wireless broadband access and in-flight cell phone use (i.e. using your exisiting mobile phone). Even NPR's story this morning, while accurate, was a jumbled mess.

In-flight broadband access - not happening tomorrow, but relatively soon. There's among other things, a spectrum auction to take place and licensee(s) to determine. This is the same air-to-ground spectrum that's currently used for the expensive seat-back phones that no one uses (if you can still find them onboard)

Cell phone use - way off. Coming, probably, but several years down the pike (unless you're already trying to use your phone onboard - we all know it happens now, even if we're not fessing up). Biggest distinction is between the technical issues and the policy issues - can it be done vs should it be done. FCC inquiry (and FAA studies) are intended to focus on the former; they are likely destined to degenerate into a shouting match over the later.

With respect to the broadband, it's one I could see as providing much needed new telecom-related mileage earning opportunities through tie-ins, if marketed right.

Last edited by Mr. July; Dec 15, 2004 at 3:47 pm Reason: feeble attempt to make post topical to forum
Old Dec 15, 2004, 5:09 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, SPG Gold, MR Platinum Premier, Hertz PC, HH Diamond
I rue the day that internet access and cell phone use becomes "the norm".

Why? I fly 100k+ miles a year, squeezing in a 60 hour week inbetween the Monday-Friday flights. I know that for at least 4 hours a week, I have to turn off the cell phone and shut the laptop down and relax .

I work extremely hard when I'm on the ground, but those precious hours where I cannot get a call on my cell phone and cannot bang out emails are what keeps me able to do this week-in and week-out.
Old Dec 15, 2004, 5:21 pm

Programs: UA1P
Originally Posted by par8thed
I rue the day that internet access and cell phone use becomes "the norm".

Why? I fly 100k+ miles a year, squeezing in a 60 hour week inbetween the Monday-Friday flights. I know that for at least 4 hours a week, I have to turn off the cell phone and shut the laptop down and relax .

I work extremely hard when I'm on the ground, but those precious hours where I cannot get a call on my cell phone and cannot bang out emails are what keeps me able to do this week-in and week-out.
You'll still be able to turn off your cell/laptop, but those of us who would rather do the emails during the flight and use the extra hours on the ground with wife/kids now have a new option.
Old Dec 15, 2004, 6:16 pm

Programs: DL FC, NW
Web surfing - OK.

Cell phone use - please no!
Old Dec 15, 2004, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by catflyer
You'll still be able to turn off your cell/laptop, but those of us who would rather do the emails during the flight and use the extra hours on the ground with wife/kids now have a new option.
So I guess you're making your choices...you'd rather disturb everybody around you on the plane...thanks for the respect !
Old Dec 15, 2004, 9:22 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, SPG Gold, MR Platinum Premier, Hertz PC, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by catflyer
I know I'll still be able to turn them off...

Its more along the lines of it becoming widely known. For instance, if boss/clients/coworkers know that we can be reached on mobile phones and email whenever we're on a plane, that flight-time suddenly becomes worktime as well.

Those that see the flight as time to get caught up and have more time with family/friends, this ruling hits a home run. For others that see it as no-work, no-email, chance to read a book or watch a dvd, its just not a great thing. Its kind of like an employer deciding that 8am-10am on Saturday is now fair game for regular work.

Its just a different point of view, I guess (which is why we're here ^ )

Last edited by par8thed; Dec 15, 2004 at 9:31 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.