Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

In flight cell phones...NOOOOOOO!

Old Dec 11, 2004, 9:19 am
Original Poster

Apparently the government is considering OKing cell phones while aloft.

Sounds horrible to me. I don't want to hear the typical moronic phone calls that people make for hours at a time. I don't want to hear people shouting or arguing. I don't want to hear the self-important berating the less powerful.

Flying is a big enough pain.
Old Dec 11, 2004, 9:23 am

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
Forget my two front teeth...

If there's a Santa Claus, there will be no cell phone use in the air! Please, oh please.

I can barely stand it now when we're boarding and as soon as the wheels hit the ground the cell phones come out and the shouting begins. My favorite is the jerk sitting next to me in FC wearing shorts and a tshirt, has already removed his sneakers, and is telling his wife at a volume we can all hear how he "scored" an upgrade for free on a $109 transcon flight.

One of the primary things I love about flying is the forced time "away from it all". Flying for me is a chance for rest and reflection. Cell phones will drive me out of the air!
Old Dec 11, 2004, 9:45 am

Programs: US1
No kidding! The last thing I want to hear is cell phone chat. The only thing I can think they would be useful for is just for emergencies or if you are about to miss a connection or something. Other than that. Keep them off the flight.

T
Old Dec 11, 2004, 9:56 am

Programs: AA Platinum
i'm not for it, but personally i'd like to be able to text message. I like doing that as a time killer.
Old Dec 11, 2004, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Perhaps USAirways should hear how we feel.
Old Dec 11, 2004, 10:13 am

Programs: US lowlife
Originally Posted by catwood
i'm not for it, but personally i'd like to be able to text message. I like doing that as a time killer.
agreed, texting would be ok....so long as they dont have an annoying alert.

-JC
Old Dec 11, 2004, 11:49 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by EnvoyBoy
One of the primary things I love about flying is the forced time "away from it all". Flying for me is a chance for rest and reflection. Cell phones will drive me out of the air!
^ Couldn't have said it better myself.
Old Dec 11, 2004, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
Today on "Wait, wait. Don't tell me." with Michael Feldman on PRI:

The government is reconsidering allowing cell phone use on planes while in flight. They should then also reconsider allowing us to bring weapons on board.
Old Dec 11, 2004, 1:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Has anyone ever surreptitiously turned on their cell phone in mid-flight? No phone I've ever owned has ever worked above 3-5,000 feet! so I don't think there's much to worry about here.
Old Dec 11, 2004, 8:12 pm

No

I agree. Cell phone conversations are usually too stupid. But that's what I guess I get for snooping in people's conversations (which for cell phones, is hard not to do).

BTW, PhlyingRPh, do you work for a retail pharmacy?
Old Dec 12, 2004, 9:12 am

Programs: M&M basic / happy Wizzair+ user :-)
Hello,

I really fear about the day that all airlines will have introduced cellphone reception in the air. (Until that moment I will use "quiet" airlines...).

As I told before, some people on this earth speak noisier than others. My nightmare is to be cramped in coach on a long haul (may be AZ, MS, AI etc...) between two phoning local people... Imagine the noise in the middle of the night...

I hope that airline "lurkers" are also reading flyertalk and study about that (this technology can be introduced on private jets, but not on commercial airliners, please).

Patrick
Old Dec 13, 2004, 8:55 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, US Air Silver Preferred, BA ExecSilver
Evidently we will have absolutely nothing to say about it, as usual. Any airline that will take pillows out of FC (American) certainly doesn't want to hear what we, the passenger, think! I guess I will stop flying, period, if cell phones are allowed.
Old Dec 13, 2004, 11:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by PhlyingRPh
Has anyone ever surreptitiously turned on their cell phone in mid-flight? No phone I've ever owned has ever worked above 3-5,000 feet! so I don't think there's much to worry about here.
i went to texas last month in a client's gulfstream and the guys that worked for the company made and received calls throughout the flight (i didn't catch what kind of phones they had). my sprint phone only got a signal over dallas, but it did get a (1-2 bar) signal, even at 35k feet.
Old Dec 13, 2004, 11:30 am

Programs: NWA - Plat...Hilton - Diamond
i would like it on certain flights because i have a sprintpcs wireless card for my laptop. email in the air would be nice.
Old Dec 13, 2004, 11:46 am
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Originally Posted by tpowaleny
BTW, PhlyingRPh, do you work for a retail pharmacy?
tpowaleny: No, I don't work retail. My background is hospital and I now work for myself, assisting hospitals with interim pharmacy management, clinical program design, optimizing medication automation and IS, etc, etc.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.