Wiki Posts
Search

Pet peeve of the day: crying babies on long hauls

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2004, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2P
Angry Pet peeve of the day: crying babies on long hauls

Just got back from Australia, and didn't get one wink of sleep during two long-hauls (SIN-FRA 12 hours, and FRA-JFK 8 hours). There also was a crying baby on the PER-SIN flight, but that was only 5 hours. I wish carriers would partition off an area of the plane for those with infants so the rest of us can get some sleep.

Last edited by BeCarlson; Sep 27, 2004 at 9:12 am
Old Sep 27, 2004, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
Unless they physically sealed the location (impossible for safety/security reasons) with sound-deadening material (impossible for weight/cost reasons), it probably would not help.

I find earplugs (real good ones like construction workers and race-car drivers use that kill like 50db+) work wonders. Even the nicer 30db ones you can find in drugstores are really good.
Old Sep 27, 2004, 8:56 am

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
Agree 100% w/ previous. Take control of your own environment. Babies can't help themselves. If you were talking about unruly 10yr olds, then you might have a point.
Old Sep 27, 2004, 9:01 am

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
I agree about noise being a pain. On UA 918 from IAD-LHR on Saturday I could hear a baby crying for hours in the fisrt seat in coch and a dam annoying loud guy talking for hours in row 22 right in front of me. The baby was fine by me as he couldn't help it, the guy infront was a pain in the ... and had to be asked to be quite when he start talking loudly for ages with the FA about nothing. I don't think he noticed it was a night flight with 90% of the cabin trying to sleep. Even ear plugs didn't block him out.
Old Sep 27, 2004, 9:02 am

Programs: All the best ones.
I can agree more! Locating babies on the bulkheads between C and Y class is rediculous. Right in the middle of the premier seating zones!
Old Sep 27, 2004, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by CT-UK

... and a dam annoying loud guy talking for hours in row 22 right in front of me. The baby was fine by me as he couldn't help it, the guy infront was a pain in the ... and had to be asked to be quite when he start talking loudly for ages with the FA about nothing. I don't think he noticed it was a night flight with 90% of the cabin trying to sleep. Even ear plugs didn't block him out.
My apologies. I was simply asking her about the Champagne stocks for the flight.
Old Sep 27, 2004, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BeCarlson
Just got back from Australia, and didn't get one wink of sleep during two long-hauls (SIN-FRA 12 hours, and FRA-JFK 8 hours). There also was a crying baby on the PER-SIN flight, but that was only 5 hours. I wish United would partition off an area of the plane for those with infants so the rest of us can get some sleep.
Were these UA flights? Maybe this post would be better in the TravelBuzz forum? Crying babies seems to come up fairly often as a topic there.
Old Sep 27, 2004, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by Peter M
I can agree more! Locating babies on the bulkheads between C and Y class is rediculous. Right in the middle of the premier seating zones!
They put them there because it is the only (or one of the only) place(s) you can attach bassinets(sic).
Old Sep 27, 2004, 9:41 am

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
Originally Posted by ozstamps
My apologies. I was simply asking her about the Champagne stocks for the flight.

Now I am trying to hunt down a pictur of you to see if it is true. I was going to put in my post that the guy was an Australian also. I wonder of the short guy in 22b is deaf now. Also if it was you your French is pretty good!
Old Sep 27, 2004, 9:55 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

you never know.. that baby could be a 1K.
Old Sep 27, 2004, 9:57 am

(SIN-FRA 12 hours, and FRA-JFK 8 hours).
Why is this in the United forum. Does United even fly SIN-FRA or FRA-JFK?
Old Sep 27, 2004, 9:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CT-UK
I agree about noise being a pain. On UA 918 from IAD-LHR on Saturday I could hear a baby crying for hours in the fisrt seat in coch and a dam annoying loud guy talking for hours in row 22 right in front of me. The baby was fine by me as he couldn't help it, the guy infront was a pain in the ... and had to be asked to be quite when he start talking loudly for ages with the FA about nothing. I don't think he noticed it was a night flight with 90% of the cabin trying to sleep. Even ear plugs didn't block him out.
Why didn't you say anything to him or the FA?
Old Sep 27, 2004, 9:58 am

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
Just got back from Australia, and didn't get one wink of sleep during two long-hauls (SIN-FRA 12 hours, and FRA-JFK 8 hours). There also was a crying baby on the PER-SIN flight, but that was only 5 hours. I wish carriers would partition off an area of the plane for those with infants so the rest of us can get some sleep.
I dont see where there were crying babies on SIN-FRA and FRA-JFK so to blame this on the baby on the 5 hour flight is absurb.

sorry - no sympathy here - ( an no I dont have crying babies ) - get some earplugs, a CD player and some Ambien
Old Sep 27, 2004, 10:01 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, AA EXP, WN A-List, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
I wish carriers would partition off an area of the plane for those with infants so the rest of us can get some sleep.

This area is called the cargo hold.

Old Sep 27, 2004, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by izzik
you never know.. that baby could be a 1K.
That's a good point! You'd be amazed how many babies and toddlers are 1K, 1P and 2P. Mine daughter was one between birth and 5. Fortunately, she was a good girl and did not annoy too many passenagers during flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.