Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Help! - Lost drivers license how to rent car?

Old Aug 18, 2004, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

Location: Orange County (SNA) CA, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Gold

Seems that I left my drivers license somewhere on my last trip (most likely at the AA lounge last week as it was the last place that I had to show ID) In any event, I have to go to DC next week and the DMV in California won't issue a replacement (or even temporary license) without an appointment, and of course the earliest available appointment is the week after my DC trip.

I called Alamo (I'm a Quicksilver member) and they tell me that I can use the kiosk without showing my DL, however, if the kiosk isn't working for some reason there is nothing they can do.

So, does anyone have a suggestion as to how can I pick up a rental care without having a DL with me in case the kiosk isn't working?

Not sure if this is the right forum for this, if not, let me know where might be more appropriate
Old Aug 18, 2004, 5:41 pm

Programs: OMNI Platinum
Lets see, you drive a rental without a license and gets pulled over What happens to you then?
Old Aug 18, 2004, 7:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
You CAN get a replacement/temporary DL from Calif DMV w/o an appointment! I've lost/had DL stolen before & went in the next day. Means you have to wait in line which takes longer than if you have an appt, but you can get it. It will take a couple of hours though unless you get there first thing in the morning.

In fact, I just did this a couple of weeks ago when my replacement DL got lost in the mail. Walked in (at high noon even), went up to clerk, why are you here - my license hasn't arrived, ok, writes something on slip of paper, gives me a # & tells me to watch the screen, 40 minutes later I get called, they issue a temp paper one & tell me the real one will arrive 3 weeks later (it came in 12 days).

I was leaving a couple of days later & was concerned that the car rental agency wouldn't accept temp (it was valid, but a piece of paper vs an actual DL), but I just handed over my elite card & cc & they didn't even ask (presumably cuz the info was stored in my profile).

I agree - you get pulled over w/o DL, that's a bigger fine & not good. Get to your local DMV asap & get it sorted out.

Cheers. Sharon

PS - I always have a xerox of my license kept w/ my belongings if I travel in case I need it for lost/stolen reasons. That also helped when I was flying to SFO & realized the DL was in my skirt pocket at home & not enough time to go home. That, plus my elite card & going through SSSS, got me onto the plane.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Aug 18, 2004 at 7:05 pm
Old Aug 18, 2004, 8:51 pm
In Memoriam, Original Member

Agree w/ Ski. Also note that even if you use the Kiosk they want your DL to get out of the parking lot 99% of the time. And a passport won't woirk. They want a DL.

And who told you you had to have an appointment? What a load of $#$t.
Old Aug 18, 2004, 9:42 pm

Programs: CO Gold; Hilton Gold; PC/Ambassador Gold
Next time: make a couple of photocopies of your driver's license & file away at home in case this happens again. At least you would have something to show while driving around before going to the DMV. It would be bad if you were involved in an auto accident or stopped by a law enforcement officer and did not have a valid dl.
Old Aug 18, 2004, 10:30 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Exclamation

A few years ago, my wallet containing my license was stolen the night before I was to leave for a trip to Las Vegas (I was flying in and renting a car there). As my wallet was stolen on a Friday night, there was nothing I could do about getting a replacement until Monday. I called up Hertz, and they told me there was absolutely no way I could rent a car without a license. I told them I still had my old, expired license, but that wouldn't cut it either.

Needless to say, I didn't do any driving on that trip!
Old Aug 18, 2004, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
A better solution than photocopying your license is to get a real copy. Just go to the DMV and say you lost your license and need another one. Then you can put one license in your wallet and keep the other one elsewhere. Your laptop bag is a good place. You'd never lose that, right?
Old Aug 19, 2004, 12:00 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Vaze
Seems that I left my drivers license somewhere on my last trip (most likely at the AA lounge last week as it was the last place that I had to show ID) In any event, I have to go to DC next week and the DMV in California won't issue a replacement (or even temporary license) without an appointment, and of course the earliest available appointment is the week after my DC trip.

I called Alamo (I'm a Quicksilver member) and they tell me that I can use the kiosk without showing my DL, however, if the kiosk isn't working for some reason there is nothing they can do.

So, does anyone have a suggestion as to how can I pick up a rental care without having a DL with me in case the kiosk isn't working?

Not sure if this is the right forum for this, if not, let me know where might be more appropriate
Well, you have some alternative options too. You can cab/car service it to Rockville or alternative destinations in/around DC metro.

Walk into your CA DMV with supporting ID documentation (including other photo ID) and you should be able to get a same day replacement. I have lost my license (actually misplaced it temporarily) and through two different DMVs gotten a same day replacement due to DMV to DMV faxing.
Old Aug 19, 2004, 6:38 am

Programs: AA, UA
Originally Posted by stimpy
A better solution than photocopying your license is to get a real copy....Then you can put one license in your wallet and keep the other one elsewhere. Your laptop bag is a good place. You'd never lose that, right?
...and if you do misplace the laptop bag, a good citizen will be able to return it to you.
Old Aug 19, 2004, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by stimpy
A better solution than photocopying your license is to get a real copy. Just go to the DMV and say you lost your license and need another one. Then you can put one license in your wallet and keep the other one elsewhere. Your laptop bag is a good place. You'd never lose that, right?
I'd say laptop is the #2 item left behind at security (after cellphone). If I had a dollar for every time I've heard, "would Continental passenger XXX please return to security to retrieve ...", I'd be a wealthy man.
Old Aug 19, 2004, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Location: Orange County (SNA) CA, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Gold
Thanks for the responses guys, will go the DMV in person tomorrow as it sounds like the person I spoke with on the phone was full of it. As for some of the other questions, I do have a photocopy of the license along with all credit cards & FF accounts that I keep with my assistant just in case.

Auh20 Don't know who you've been renting from but I can't recall the last time anyone asked for my license when leaving the rental lot (primarily rented from Alamo, so may be different with other agencies)

Thanks once again guys, This is why I love FT so much! :
Old Aug 24, 2004, 8:31 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond

Auh20 Don't know who you've been renting from but I can't recall the last time anyone asked for my license when leaving the rental lot (primarily rented from Alamo, so may be different with other agencies)
I would have totally agreed with this statement until Friday, I was asked to show the rental agreement and my Driver's License in San Juan at Avis when driving the car off the lot.

I believe that was the first time I've ever been asked.
Old Aug 24, 2004, 8:34 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Thanks for the responses guys, will go the DMV in person tomorrow as it sounds like the person I spoke with on the phone was full of it. As for some of the other questions, I do have a photocopy of the license along with all credit cards & FF accounts that I keep with my assistant just in case.

Thanks once again guys, This is why I love FT so much! :
At DCA, all the on-site car companies ask for ID to leave the garage. Alamo and Enterprise being off airport premises at DCA do not require an ID to get out of the garage. They do require to see your license and credit card for rental purposes.

The policy varies by location and firm.
Old Aug 24, 2004, 8:48 am

Another FT thread on subject:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...e=1&highlight=

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.