FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   What side of the plane to sit on for best view? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/330890-what-side-plane-sit-best-view.html)

devriesryan04 Jun 20, 2004 6:37 pm

What side of the plane to sit on for best view?

I am going on a trip to Europe this summer and I am going to be flying to, and in-between all of my destinations to save time. I was wondering what side of the plane I should sit on for the best views of each individual city, or the countryside, mountains, water, etc. Surprisingly, I haven't seen much informantion on this topic on this, or any other website. Here is my itenerary, so you know what direction I will be coming from each time. If you can please let me know of anything cool I'll be able to see on either side. (Like I know on my GRO to CIA flight I'll be able to see Sardinia or Corsica.) By the way all of my flights are daytime.

Cincinatti (CVG) to Amsterdam (AMS) - ON DELTA
Amsterdam (AMS) to London (LGW) - ON EASYJET
London (LGW) to Toulouse, France (TLS) - ON EASTJET
Toulouse, France (TLS) to Madrid (MAD) - ON AIR FRANCE
Madrid (MAD) to Barcelona (BCN) - ON AIR EUROPA
Barcelona/Girona (GRO) to Rome (CIA) - ON RYANAIR
Rome (FCO) to Amsterdam (AMS) - ON VIRGIN EXPRESS
Amsterdam (AMS) to Cincinatti (CVG) - ON DELTA

Thanks!

PS: Despite what it may look like, this itenerary was not that expensive!
Hotwire rules for pondhopper flights!

Swanhunter Jun 21, 2004 3:33 am

For the flights into/out of LGW you certainly won't get much of a view from the plane regardless of what side you sit. However if the weather is clear you should get some nice views of the southern English coastline from any window.

stut Jun 21, 2004 4:17 am

As most of your flights are to decent-sized airports, it's hard to tell what your flight path (on landing) is going to be, so hard to advise on the best place to sit...

However, what you can watch out for:

To/from LGW: As swanhunter points out, you can get some lovely views of the Southern English coast. Around Kent and Sussex in particular, the view of the cliffs that you can get (if the weather's good - hardly guaranteed in this part of the world) can be lovely.

To/from AMS: You can get some lovely views here. If the tulip-growing season is still on (I can't remember), the sight of the strips of brightly-coloured fields is utterly bizarre. Otherwise, on crossing from the North Sea, you get a view of the dunes along the Belgian and Dutch coastline, and the endless canals that make up the Netherlands.

TLS-MAD: You may fly over the Pyrenees, or the Northern Spanish coast. Good views for both.

To BCN: If you fly along the coast to reach the airport, the views of the city (particularly at night) are stunning. I can't tell which way you'll be flying in though...

WHBM Jun 21, 2004 5:29 am

Remember the old POSH rule (Post Out Starboard Home) from shipping days of going from Britain to Asia, where this kept you on the north (or shady) side of the ship both ways.

It's still applicable to flying because it prevents you getting the glare of the sun reducing your view. It's particularly significant if you want to take photographs out of the window. And it applies to your transatlantic sectors as you are starting from the US and coming to Europe.

You obviously have to give consideration though to which way you are going to keep on the opposite side from the sun. If starting from Britain and going transatlantic it's pretty much SOPH, although if you want the best view of parts of the US at the end of the trip and it's going to be afternoon when you get there, the opposite side can be better.

fromYXU Jun 21, 2004 9:36 am

Can you ever predict the flight plan so that you can pick your seat accordingly? I personally like to pick seats based on the where the sun will be in relation to the plane. I prefer the shaddy side. Better if you want to keep your shade up. Also easier to work without the sun blazing through.

Enjoy your trips.

TRRed Jun 21, 2004 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by fromYXU
I personally like to pick seats based on the where the sun will be in relation to the plane. I prefer the shaddy side. Better if you want to keep your shade up. Also easier to work without the sun blazing through.

Same here. It also reduces the glares from the FAs if you want to look out of the window during the movie. ;)

Bruiser Jun 22, 2004 8:43 am

I agree about the sun/shady side of the plane. I always try to get the shady side - (remember summer and winter sun position) and it's cooler as well! I think it helps because I like to keep my shade up at least a bit on overseas flights.

Norri Jun 23, 2004 12:19 am

In my experience the interesting sights pointed out from the flight deck are alwayson the other side of the plane