FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   bringing gifts to relatives & friends -- strange requests? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/321958-bringing-gifts-relatives-friends-strange-requests.html)

lalala May 17, 2004 10:49 am

bringing gifts to relatives & friends -- strange requests?

I have to admit to travelling light and enjoying staying with my relatives. I often will call them and ask if they have any requests from Seattle or the US.

My mom always wants halibut, my aunt -- emergen-c (vitamin drink). No biggie and I'm happy to do it.

Now I am off for a trip to the homeland and my bags are full of:

ziplock bags (300)
lemon pepper (costco sized)
knorr chicken stock cubes
really bad lipsticks
small pill boxes and gift bags
centrum vitamins
vitamin c fizzy drinks

I have very little room for my own clothes! However, I know that the housewives of northern Teheran will all have new ziplock bags to marinate their lemon peppered chicken kabobs. :D

Anyone else have any good "please bring me" requests?

Mary2e May 17, 2004 10:53 am

Someone living in Paris requested Johnson & Johnson Baby Oil, and some bath soaps they couldn't find (I forgot the brand).

Remarkable what people miss, huh?

crowes May 17, 2004 11:04 am

I've got a friend in Mississippi who asked that I bring him some Marmite.

SanDiego1K May 17, 2004 11:42 am

We have visited friends living in Pakistan and in Turkey. Both families have children. In each case, we were given lengthy shopping lists. Common items I remember for both:
  • macaronia and cheese
  • cheerios
  • M&Ms

SkiAdcock May 17, 2004 11:46 am

canned pumpkin, caro syrup, vicativ, tostitos...

hedur May 17, 2004 12:06 pm

my friend in Scotland wanted loads of Big Red gum and teriyaki beef jerky.

and before In 'n Out expanded to Northern California, my friends at Stanford always wanted double-doubles and fries. they never seemed to mind that by the time i got there everything was room temperature and soggy. go figure. ;)

pdhenry May 17, 2004 12:19 pm

I was once asked to procure a food processor (IIRC) on my way through AMS so a friend could carry it back to Teheran on his next trip. I balked when he later asked me bring home a vacuum cleaner from Selfriges...

Another friend asked for a refill for a specific brand and type of pen (found it at Harrod's ) and later wanted me to scour south London for a specific Thule accessory (but I do know when to say no...).

Mehdron May 17, 2004 12:29 pm

Cognac

My cousins in Norway are always happy to get some quality booze, given how much they have to pay for it in country.

My cousin's neighbor in Norway asked me to get a part for his broken toilet in his RV. He couldn't track it down in Europe but I had no problem finding it at a local RV place (first and last time I've ever been in one of those . . . ).

CozumelJen May 17, 2004 12:35 pm

I had more than one request to bring tools to Mexico, including drills and saws. They have Ace Hardware there, but the prices are twice what they are here. Also, car repair manuals.

Analise May 17, 2004 12:39 pm

I am always asked to bring bagels. Talk about bulky but they are very much appreciated so it's well worth it.

ljp99 May 17, 2004 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by Analise
I am always asked to bring bagels. Talk about bulky but they are very much appreciated so it's well worth it.

I always bring the same, even if its not requested. Its always appreciated.
Something about the NY water.

Originally Posted by CozumelJen
They have Ace Hardware there, but the prices are twice what they are here.

That may change soon. Home Depot just purchased a large home improvements chain in Mexico. That will force down prices.

AlecM May 17, 2004 1:08 pm

As a child growing up in CCS, Venezuela I was always begging any family member who came down from the US to bring Pop Tarts and Cap'n Crunch - would make a box last a loooong time. Kinda bulky so I wouldn't get that many.

Now I can have all I want.... if my partner would allow them in the house... which he doesn't... :)

Kitty Hawk May 17, 2004 1:44 pm

Bagels, absolutely, and now people want flagels, too.

Crusty bread.

Onion and bell pepper relish for hot dogs.

Taylor ham.

Sour tomatoes.

(My luggage stinks.)

tinnub May 17, 2004 3:47 pm

My friend in Scotland bought her sister in Cyprus a toilet seat. :D

graraps May 17, 2004 4:13 pm

Krupnik

I always ask whoever 's coming from Poland to bring me a bottle or two. :)