lga (la guardia) access

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2004, 3:19 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
lga (la guardia) access

lga is an oddly constructed airport, you can walk in from the street (ditmas), crossover the grand central parkway on a few of the cross streets and you are no more than 2 or 3 blocks from a terminal. Are there other (major) airports that allow pedestrian access? [To get to a terminal at JFK, for example, would be a minimum of 3-4 miles from the street.]
Old Jul 16, 2004, 4:06 pm

Programs: UA Silver, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Avis CHM
hadn't thought about that...

MSY is similar. While the airport bought out most of the residential homes in the area a long time ago, you could walk from the Hilton or Shoney's etc. across Airline Hwy.
Old Jul 16, 2004, 6:32 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
LAX, easily (especially if you're going to terminal 1,2,3)

SAN and DAL are close in and not connected by highway.

Smaller airports are more likely to be walkable, such as:

There is a hotel right next door to TYS (same sidewalk as the terminal's).

I vaguely recall CHA being close in, but I'm not sure.

I think FLO is across the street from a neighborhood but I don't remember if there's a sidewalk on the 1/8 mile two lane road leading to the terminal and parking lot.

There is a hotel right outside the PIT terminal, but that might be considered airport property and thus not eligible for this list.

The worst airport in this regard is DFW. It would be illegal for you to walk outside the airport, because the only way out is on a limited access highway. You can't even walk outside between terminals!

The Hyatt looks close enough to spit on, yet in order to walk there, it is an exercise in man-made, concrete, multi-level topography.
Old Jul 16, 2004, 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by JS
Smaller airports are more likely to be walkable, such as:
I once ended up walking home from CMI (Champaign, IL) when I was a poor student there, about 6 miles. I had been expecting someone to pick me up, but they didn't show, I couldn't afford/chose not to afford a taxi, it was a nice afternoon, and I didn't have much baggage with me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.