Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Poll - how many countries have you visited?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 19, 2018, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Kagehitokiri
Print Wikipost

Poll - how many countries have you visited?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2016, 4:22 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Four Seasons PP, Belmond BC, Dorchester DC, Hyatt Prive, MO Fan Club, Peninsula, Rosewood
43 all up...

Europe
United Kingdom - England, Scotland, Wales and NI
France
Netherlands
Belgium
Germany
Hungary
Austria
Switzerland
Czech Republic
Italy
Spain
Croatia
Greece
Turkey
Poland
Latvia
Norway
Sweden
Slovakia
Romania

Middle East
Egypt
UAE
Jordan
Syria
Lebanon

Asia
Thailand
Vietnam
China
Hong Kong
Macau
Malaysia
Singapore
Laos
India
Cambodia

South Pacific
Australia
New Zealand

Americas
USA
Mexico

Africa
South Africa
Botswana
Zambia
Zimbabwe
Old Aug 20, 2016, 1:15 pm

Programs: DL Silver - uh huh!
Not sure if this is in the thread it not - I admit I have only read bits and pieces.

What do you go with a country for which you have a passport stamp, but you never left the airport? This happens when you fly into a Schengen from outdide and then change planes to fly to a second Schengen country. Hence, I have a stamp for Denmark in my passport (so obviously I've been there, right?) but I never left CPH.

I've visited 34 other countries (with at least 2 more to be added this fall), transited 2 more, and landed in 2 more without getting out of the plane.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 12:19 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by Kamalaasaa
What do you go with a country for which you have a passport stamp, but you never left the airport? This happens when you fly into a Schengen from outdide and then change planes to fly to a second Schengen country. Hence, I have a stamp for Denmark in my passport (so obviously I've been there, right?) but I never left CPH.
I think most people would agree, it's not about a passport stamp, it's about if you've "seen" a place or not...and that's something only you can decide.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 5:22 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ironmanjt
I think most people would agree, it's not about a passport stamp, it's about if you've "seen" a place or not...and that's something only you can decide.
Well said. There's a phrase in the law called "the laugh test". As in, could you explain your position to a judge without him laughing at you? Therefore, I say could you explain your claim on a country to a traveler without him laughing at you? As my only "claims" on Qatar are flying through DOH, Panama flying through PTY etc. I don't think I could explain those without the laughs and therefore I don't claim them.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 3:19 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, United Gold, IHG Amb Plat, HHonors Diamond(Aspire), Bonvoy LT Plat, Hyatt Globalist
46 for me....

Just bagged Bolivia :-)
Need to get my rear in gear though.... I have a tendency to keep going back to places that I really like (e.g. Thailand)

North America (3)

Canada
USA
Mexico

Central America (6)

Guatemala
El Salvador
Nicaragua
Costa Rica
Panama
Honduras

Carribean (2)

Dominican Republic
Jamaica

South America (9)

Bolivia
Columbia
Ecuador
Peru
Brazil
Argentina
Paraguay
Uruguay
Chile

Europe (15)

UK
Belgium
Netherlands
Luxembourg
Germany
Norway
Sweden
Finland
Denmark
Estonia
Latvia
Lithuania
Spain
France
Czech Republic

Asia (11)

Japan
China
Thailand
Myanmar
Sri Lanka
Cambodia
Laos
Indonesia
Malaysia
Singapore
Vietnam
Old Aug 26, 2016, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10
could you explain your position to a judge without him laughing at you?
In this particular scenario, yes.

A judge (and immigration authorities) would count that day as one I spent in the Schengen Area, based on the stamps in my passport. From a technical/legal standpoint, I was "in" Denmark, even though I never left the airport. So, based on that, I guess I have "been to" (or "been in") Denmark (and not merely transited an airport that is located there). I don't think I would go so far as to say I "visited" Denmark, but that's not what I was really asking about.

(The full scenario—I was on a quite roundabout itinerary in which I flew into CPH from outside Schengen, flew from CPH to another airport—which I did leave for a while—and then exited Schengen to continue to my final destination, all in less than 24 hours.)

FWIW, I have spent less than 24 hours in 9 of the countries I have visited (not counting Denmark or the 4 airport/airplane-only countries). But I did things like see local sights, eat local food, and/or interact with local people. In one case I even spent the night with local friends. So I consider that I visited those 9 countries, albeit briefly.

(And it seems equally laughable to say that I visited friends in their home, or visited a museum, for X hours—which I certainly did—but somehow did not manage to "visit" the city or country in which they are located! That's my view, anyway. )
Old Aug 26, 2016, 10:55 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
To all those more interested in setting rules for others as opposed to being friendly in the spirit of this thread - come on. It's easy to criticize others, but whatever "rules" people use, I'm interested to hear their "list"
Old Aug 27, 2016, 7:33 am

Here's my list, for those who are interested:

Visited (34)
Albania
Austria
Barbados
Belgium
Bosnia & Herzegovina
Burma
Cambodia
Canada
China
Croatia
France
Germany
Hungary
Luxembourg
Macedonia
Malaysia
Mexico
Netherlands
Norway
Oman
Portugal
Qatar
Serbia
Singapore
Slovenia
South Africa
South Korea
Sweden
Switzerland
Thailand
Turkey
United Arab Emirates
United Kingdom
United States

Been in but not quite "visited" (1)
Denmark

Airport only (2)
Hong Kong
Japan

Tarmac only (2)
Kuwait
St. Lucia

Coming soon (2)
Costa Rica
Panama

Last edited by Kamalaasaa; Aug 27, 2016 at 7:34 am Reason: Forgot countries
Old Aug 27, 2016, 9:09 am

Programs: AY+
Visited (20)

Sweden
Norway
Estonia
Latvia
Lithuania
Russia
France
Germany
Poland
Slovakia
Portugal
Spain
Italy
Greece
Cyprus
Tunis
USA
Mexico
Brazil
United arab emirates
Old Aug 27, 2016, 3:24 pm
Suspended

I used to be shooting for 50 U.S. states and 50 countries but no longer aspire to that. My new aspiration is 49 states (met) and about 45 countries (almost me).

I am permanently given up ever going to Syria during my lifetime. Egypt and Jordan are also out due to security risks, though many people would deem those countries as sufficiently safe to visit.

Also unlikely to visit is Paraguay due to Zika virus. This might clear up in 10-15 years but by then I might not be healthy and take it off my list due to lack of good medical care. If you get into an accident and need a good orthopedic surgeon or neurosurgeon, there might not be one in Paraguay.

St. Helena is also out due to poor medical care.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 3:26 pm
Suspended

Russia is almost ruled out because of crappy medical care. If I get hit by a car, I don't want some crappy and uncaring Russian doctor to be taking care of me. Of course, that attitude might limit travel to Western Europe, Australia, Singapore, Japan and maybe South Korea, Republic of China on Taiwan and a few other countries.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 9:19 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Australia
Austria
Botswana
Brazil
Bulgaria
Canada
Chile
China
Czech Republic
Dominican Republic
Ethiopia
France
Germany
Hungary
Italy
Japan
Lithuania
Mexico
The Netherlands
Nicaragua
Portugal
Romania
South Africa
South Korea
Spain
Switzerland
Tanzania
United Kingdom
United States
Vatican City

Total: 30
Old Aug 29, 2016, 1:02 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Box10
Russia is almost ruled out because of crappy medical care. If I get hit by a car, I don't want some crappy and uncaring Russian doctor to be taking care of me. Of course, that attitude might limit travel to Western Europe, Australia, Singapore, Japan and maybe South Korea, Republic of China on Taiwan and a few other countries.

If you're ruling our countries like Russia due to poor medical care if hit by a car, then you should probably rule out at least 100 other countries with worse medical care and traffic safety than Russia.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 4:51 am

Programs: EK Gold, UA Platinum, Bonvoy Gold
57 Total
11 I have lived in

#57 was South Africa.

I go to one new for every birthday.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 5:01 am

About 30, so I see I have a lot of work to do. Some people's list is insane

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.