Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Denver to Vail: Limo/Shuttle/Drive myself?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2004, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Location: JFK, LAX, LHR, DUB, MIA, ORD, MAD - heavy travel to all
Programs: EXP: 2014, 15, Final 7 Mo of 16, and all of 17 (soon to be '19-20). Big Bonvoy Users

Need some easy guidance from those familiar with the terrain here.

I am flying into Denver in the next week and need to get to Vail. I am lazy and considering not driving. Are there any inexpensive Limos or shuttles that go from the airport to Vail?

If the suggestion is stick to renting my own car, how long and painful is the drive?

Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 9, 2004, 1:06 pm

It's been a couple years since I did it, but it's a pretty taxing drive. I think it's close to 3 hrs, depending on weather, of course. There are shuttles which are comfortable and go frequently, but I thought they were pretty expensive. I want to say something like $55....maybe it was $35 each way. I just remember thinking it was steep.

Depending on where you're staying, having a car can be a pain in Vail. Parking is not easy or cheap, so if you're staying close in the Village I would recommend the shuttle and living without the rental car.
Old Feb 9, 2004, 1:18 pm

Location: Somewhere west of the Atlantic Ocean and east of the Pacific Ocean...
Programs: Elite of none; flyer of many
Also...to get to Vail from DEN, you need to take I-70 and that means driving through the Eisenhower Tunnel which lies at an elevation of 11,100 ft (AFAIK the highest stretch of interstate in the country) just about 35 miles or so out of the Denver area...I dont know your physiology or metabolism or anything like that, but flying in from whereever you are coming driving from DEN (elevation 5,280 ft.), straight through the Eisenhower Tunnel is a 6,000 ft. gain in elevation...some people just cannot take this and it should be a consideration in your decision to drive or not...just something to keep in mind...

N674UW
Old Feb 9, 2004, 2:02 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
I have done this drive several gagillion times having lived in Boulder, Colorado for 4+ years and being an avid skier.
Its not bad, as long as you know how to drive and are prepared for bad weather, and have a decent car.
2-3 hours driving is not unusual. If its snowing it could be WAY more. Mornings on the way UP, and Afternoons on the way DOWN on Saturdays and Sundays are BRUTAL, with all of the skiing traffic, so avoid those times of day on the weekends, like the plague!
If you are not a good driver, or are skittish, or would be UNABLE to drive in the snow, don't do it. Do us all a favor.

Try these guys: http://www.cmex.com/
They have regular van service between Vail and DEN.
UA also has regular express flights from DEN to EGE (Eagle County Airport just outside of Vail) Might be cheaper than a rental car depending on how long you're staying.
Enjoy the Rockies !

------------------
"I just wanna wish you good luck, we're all counting on you"
-Dr. Rumack
Old Feb 9, 2004, 2:25 pm

Years and years ago the Westin Resort Vail had a shuttle bus which would do airport runs. Might be worth looking into if you are planning to stay at one of the larger hotels. It might have cost something, afraid I don't remember.
Old Feb 9, 2004, 2:58 pm

Programs: UA
We always took shuttles, either booked by the hotel or once I booked them myself (had a flyer from the year before). Either way it ran around 90 Dollars.
Old Feb 10, 2004, 10:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I've done both shuttles & rental cars. Unless you're in a snowstorm, I don't find the drive that big a deal & it is lovely to be in the mountains while driving.

Because DEN is farther out than the old Stapleton, the drive can be 2.5-3hours, and the comment about heavy traffic on Sun afts & on weekend mornings is very accurate.

As someone said above, if you're not used to winter conditions driving, are skittish about being in high elevation & going through a tunnel (which compared to the tunnel I went through in Milford Sound New Zealand is a total breeze), then you may want to just do the shuttle thing. If the above doesn't bother you & you can get a decent car rental rate, do the car rental.

I'm checking into shuttles for the SkiDo in March. Right now Colorado Mountain Express is $63+3 surcharge each way. I haven't clicked on the link above to see if they're any cheaper, but think most of the shuttles probably are similar in price.

------------------
Sharon
Old Feb 10, 2004, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Location: JFK, LAX, LHR, DUB, MIA, ORD, MAD - heavy travel to all
Programs: EXP: 2014, 15, Final 7 Mo of 16, and all of 17 (soon to be '19-20). Big Bonvoy Users
Interesting replies, ideas and thoughts. Though my biggest concern - based on feedback - is the actual return from Vail to DEN on a Sunday.

For the experienced out there, if my flight is around 4ish, I am assuming 3 hour drive + 2 hours prior to flight = 11 a.m.ish departure from Vail? But with traffic, I should leave around 9 to be safe.

I know I know, a week in Vail and it shouldn't mater if I miss my return flight or not But I dislike traffic - especially on unfamilar roads.

BTW: interesting point about going from airplane to car and the altitude shock one might experience.

Appreciate the advice.

Old Feb 10, 2004, 2:00 pm

I think 11 AM should be fine, unless there's a lot of snow coming down. DIA is a very quick airport to get through, and should take less time than you expect.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.