Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Anyone travel with injectable anti-nausea medication?

Old Dec 14, 2003, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM

My husband seems to have a lot of GI problems when we travel, especially to exotic places, and twice has had to be injected with anti-nausea, anti-vomiting medication which clears up the problem quickly. Do any of you frequent travelers take this sort of thing with you? I just don't think I can rely on Immodium, etc. in my medicine bag any longer and don't want to give up any travel other than to Europe! Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 14, 2003, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
Only in pill form...but always have either compazine or phenergan with me. Have been caught traveling one too many times and picked up a stomach bug of some sort or ate something that didn't sit well. Thankfully it's rare that I've needed it, but it has enabled me to make it home more than once!
Old Dec 14, 2003, 3:27 pm

You would need to check the requirements of each country before traveling. Although I don't think it would present a huge problem, you can never say for sure.

Other options to the injectible phenergan are the suppository (arghh...), or a phenergan gel which is absorbed through the skin. The gel can be purchased at most compounding pharamacies, which your doctor should be able to refer you to.
Old Dec 15, 2003, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA, AA
I agree with the above post about suppositories or gel.

However, FYI:
Immodium and Phenergan do 2 different things. Immodium is for diarrhea -- it slows down the transit fime in the gut. Phenergan is specifically for nausea, and does not directly affect diarrhea.

Granted, when you have food poisoining or 'turista', you usually have both symptoms, but it is possible to have one and not the other. Just want to be sure you are taking the right med for the righ symptom.

------------------
Da DOK
Old Dec 15, 2003, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM
What about what to do when there is vomiting and water is not even tolerated? Do you have to receive an injection then? The two times we've been traveling when that has occurred, he was given an injection.
Old Dec 15, 2003, 5:38 pm

Phenergan is the medicine that most likely was injected to stop the vomiting. It is very commonly used for this purpose in the US (and I presume elsewhere).

Phenergan is available in an injectible form, a pill form, and suppository. If you can't keep down water, the pill form is useless, and if you hare having diahrea, the suppository is not a good option.

In addition to the above forms, a compounding pharmacy can create a phenergan gel which is absorbed through the skin. This is what I was suggesting since the lack of a needle will be least likely to raise the hackles of any security or customs agent. Your doctor, which has to write the perscription (at least in the US) for the phenergan can refer you to a local compounding pharmacy to prepare the gel.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.