Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

"Knee defender" prevents reclining seatbacks

Old Sep 30, 2003, 6:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Alaska MVP Gold

New product reviewed by "Cheap Charlie" on ticked.com . . . slide it on to the arm of your tray-table and it prevents the person in front of you from reclining . . .

http://www.kneedefender.com
Old Sep 30, 2003, 6:54 pm

I read that link and can't believe the hostility and aggression of the writer.

People have every right to recline their seat to any degree they wish. People do not have the right to block it because they are too fat or selfish.

I was on a flight from Argentina to NYC. A huge fat guy sat behind me and expected me to sit upright for the 10 hour flight. NO WAY. He could buy a ticket in business or first if he needs extra room.

I am stunned that any passenger thinks they can deny others the right to recline and be comfortable. If you consider someone reclining as being in your "lap", than maybe you should hire a private jet for your next trip. Then you will have all the room you need.
Old Sep 30, 2003, 7:12 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Location: Seattle, WA;HH Diamond, Avis PS, DL PM & 1MM ... back to travelling the globe consulting aerospace engineering
Who cares about the gadget - I really want to know what airline has that much seat recline in coach (view the ad demo) ... that's the airline I want to fly!

GMF
Old Sep 30, 2003, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Thanks - Just placed my order. This should work much better than jamming my knees into the offending seat - and a lot more comfortable.

Seat recline should be eliminated from all seats that are not E+ or MRTC.

Old Sep 30, 2003, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I observe that you have to leave your tray table down for this to work.

That seems a significant drawback...

Edited to add: You could use many common objects to block the scissor action of the tray table. I hope no one invests money they can't afford to lose in this

[This message has been edited by birdstrike (edited 09-30-2003).]
Old Sep 30, 2003, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
This product still does not prevent the person seated in front of you from getting annoyed, and beating the @$#@$# out of you.
Old Oct 1, 2003, 12:50 am
R&R

What is worse?

Having someone recline in front of you, or
having someone knee you in the back of your seat over and over during the flight without your being reclined and when you are reclined trying to sleep? Especially on a redeye!

Old Oct 1, 2003, 2:18 am

I usually only recline when the person in front of me reclines. It's a domino effect.
Old Oct 1, 2003, 3:05 am

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FlyGirl 03:
I usually only recline when the person in front of me reclines. It's a domino effect. </font>
True!

------------------
Please have a look at my round-the-world travel blog and leave some comments - thanks :-).

[This message has been edited by attorney28 (edited 10-01-2003).]
Old Oct 1, 2003, 3:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
If the 'recliner' stays reclined the majority of the flight (and not for sleeping), I'm sure to grab a hold of the top of his/her seat so that I can try and get out of mine.

Surly that little bit of inconvience to the recliner is all I can do to 'get even' (cough) for my extended inconvience.

And you can also 'adjust' your food tray multiple times.
Old Oct 1, 2003, 6:39 am
csb

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Boraxo:
Thanks - Just placed my order. This should work much better than jamming my knees into the offending seat - and a lot more comfortable.

</font>
Just a hunch, but you strike me as the type that doesn't "jam his knees into the offending seat" if there's someone your own size in it!

Also, the issue is the same as with overweight people that demand the right to spill into my seat. If you are so tall--or so narcissistic--that you demand that the passenger ahead give up his right to recline, there is a simple solution: buy a freakin' ticket in F.

Also, I wouldn't count on this gadget. I'm sure the airlines and the FA's are going to have a very dim view of passengers taking it upon themselves to modify the aircrafts equipment while in flight--for their own selfish motivaiton no less.
Old Oct 1, 2003, 6:54 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dhammer53:
If the 'recliner' stays reclined the majority of the flight (and not for sleeping), I'm sure to grab a hold of the top of his/her seat so that I can try and get out of mine.

Surly that little bit of inconvience to the recliner is all I can do to 'get even' (cough) for my extended inconvience.

And you can also 'adjust' your food tray multiple times.
</font>
And you can also find it necessary to stuff things into the pocket on the seat in front of you multiple times during the flight.

I too use the grab-the-seat-to-help-me-get-up strategy, but only on the worst offenders. These aren't the people who recline just a bit to get a better angle for their back. These are the people who jam their seat all the way back without looking first and then leave the seat that way even during meal service.

I got a real jerk in front of me last year who resisted bringing his seat up just for meal service in spite of the fact that the FA asked him to. Most people aren't like that, fortunately.
Old Oct 1, 2003, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
On the rare occasion that I ride in the back, I just wedge my knees in to make it impossible to recline. Problem solved. Honestly, on most planes in Y (not in exit rows) my knees are naturally jammed into the seat in front of me whether I actually try to do so or not. After a few tries the offender always gives up. Sometimes there's a nasty glare involved, but no big deal. People see how big I am and then lose any desire they had for a confrontation.
Old Oct 1, 2003, 8:39 am

The knee problem has nothing to do with one's weight, but rather one's height and the configuration of the airplane. Some rows have an inch or two less than others. I'm only 6'2" and often get crunched.
Old Oct 1, 2003, 9:17 am

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
I flew DL (ok, first mistake) from ATL-LAS a couple of weeks ago and the first thing after takeoff the couple in front of me did was recline their seat back the whole way. I in turn reclined my seat back about 80% -- trying to alleviate the domino effect, but I did need the room.

I know FAs have it tough enough with the idiots that fly these days, I can just imagine a big fight breaking out about these 'gadgets'. I guess it would be flight, a paid dinner, and a show!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.