Community
Wiki Posts
Search

noise cancelling folding headphones

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2003, 9:34 am
Original Poster

noise cancelling folding headphones

My wife and I have been getting some conflicting opinions on which headphones to get for our cd player on our international flights. Comfort, noise cancellation, and light weight are the main considerations unless someone out there has another idea. Any help will be greatly appreciated. We do know that this subject has been covered before but new models may have changed things. Also, price could be important as spending $300 for a few hours of use a couple of times a year may not be cost effective yet cheaper sets may not do the job.
One other point is that in Spain, Iberia, is offering anywhere in Spain travel for $29. Our daughter in Rota sent us the local paper where the fares were published. Much better than the $127 Madrid to Rota we were quoted in the US

[This message has been edited by shawnigan lake slob (edited 07-01-2003).]
Old Jul 1, 2003, 10:19 am

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
I use a pair os Sony noise cancelling headphones that fold up into a small bag. They are pretty dam good. I tested them with a pair of Bose heaphones whilst sat at DEN. Yes I did think the Bose had a better sound but it wasn't a huge improvement.
Old Jul 1, 2003, 1:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I use Brookstone's; $99.

------------------
Sharon
Old Jul 1, 2003, 1:42 pm

I also agree with getting Sony. I've been using mine for a year and they're great & comfortable... paid around $70.
Old Jul 1, 2003, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
As far as non-earbud headphones go, the Sennheiser PXC-250 noise canceling headphones can't be beat considering the combination of compact portability (they fold and fit into a small, well-padded travel case), performance, and price. Amazon.com has them for $116.96 including shipping and handling:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...onics&n=507846

Here are a couple of independent reviews on the Sennheisers:
http://reviews.cnet.com/Sennheiser_P...-21258924.html
http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?s=1d2 8c2d31837f9de54e7e4dac7af0b8a&threadid=23928&highl ight=Sennheiser+PXC250

[This message has been edited by cAAl (edited 07-01-2003).]
Old Jul 2, 2003, 5:15 am

my 2¢:

been through two sets of the Brookstone/Maxell/Noisebuster -- first pair had amazing performence, the second pair lousy. both pairs so flimsy they broke.

tried Sony NC-11's (ear bud). almost without effect.

now have Sony NC-20's. works OK, but not great.

others swear by the Bose. they work, but overpriced.

do a ft search (travel tech forum). this topic has been covered many times.
Old Jul 2, 2003, 5:22 am

Programs: UA 1P, SPG Plat
Bose now has the QuietComfort 2 headset that folds into a much more compact shape. It also has a hard case that's a little larger than a CD wallet.

I have the original Quietcomfort headset, and this one is somewhat improved with less hiss in quiet areas and an integrated battery into the headphones. The weight is also pretty reasonable--heavier than the old ones, but there's no need to carry the signal processing module anymore. One other minor improvement is that there is only one headphone cable instead of the two in the previous version.

I'll wait for my warranty to expire on my current ones before considering these. I've gone through 3 pairs already (user/quality issues).
Old Jul 2, 2003, 9:38 am

Programs: UA PrmEx
I bought a pair of Panasonics at Circuit City for $50. Very comfortable, sound great, and compact. I don't see a point of spending $300 on a pair that will be used with a lot of ambient noise.
Old Jul 7, 2003, 6:52 am

Like others here I have read many reviews of the Bose noise canceling headphones and some of the others. The problem is that reading all of the opinions has made me thoroughly confused and the idea of spending $300 on headphones is not very inviting.

I borrowed some Bose QC1s and purchased a new pair of Brookstones at the Newark airport this past weekend. I tested both headphones without any input, with a movie and while listening to music.

Bose:
The Bose were excellent and as good as everyone says that they are. I was using the original ones and the only problems that I have are the switch box and the bulk of them which seem to have been corrected with the new ones. Removal of engine noise was reduced by about 70% and when listening to music seemed to disappear completely.

Brookstone:
When comparing the two you notice right away that the construction is not as solid as the Bose. The design is good as the switches are on the ear cups and there is only one wire. They fold into a fairly compact size also. They did not block the noise that well but certainly much better than the normal headphones that I have been using. I would estimate about 40%. The biggest problem was that 1/2 way through my flight with brand new headphones they started emitting static which made them impossible to wear.

My non scientific conclusion:
The Bose are worth the money if you fly a lot and the Brookstones are a piece of junk. I returned them to the store without any problems (60 day return policy). I will definitely order the Bose for myself and wife. I still don't like the idea of spending so much on headphones but I know they will hold their value and are made well.

Keba

Old Aug 28, 2003, 3:52 pm

Ecost has the Sennheiser PXC-250 for $89.99 shipped free. Ignore the posted $129 price, the discount shows when you put the item in your cart:

http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/detail.asp?dpno=135030

This model is a Cnet editors choice:

Edited to say that I didn't see the Cnet link already posted above.

I just bought a pair.

[This message has been edited by dhacker (edited 08-28-2003).]
Old Aug 28, 2003, 5:05 pm

Programs: UA Nobody, HH Silver, PC Platinum
Thank you!!
I have been looking for a set for myself, and am impressed with what you all showed me about the Sennheiser PXC 250 set. I just placed my order.

Kate
Old Aug 28, 2003, 5:47 pm
cervisiam

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dhacker:
Ecost has the Sennheiser PXC-250 for $89.99 shipped free. Ignore the posted $129 price, the discount shows when you put the item in your cart:

http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/detail.asp?dpno=135030

This model is a Cnet editors choice:

Edited to say that I didn't see the Cnet link already posted above.

I just bought a pair.

[This message has been edited by dhacker (edited 08-28-2003).]
</font>
i had both the bose (older model) and the sennheiser. i definitely prefer the sennheiser more because of the cost the only bummer about the sennheiser is that you can't adjust a volume (i.e. on bose you can have a high or a low volume)

Old Aug 28, 2003, 5:51 pm

I got my Sony NC-11s on Ebay. Try looking there.
Old Aug 28, 2003, 10:07 pm

Well, I got my husband the Bose set for his birthday last year. He likes them just fine, but I have enjoyed them more than I care to admit. They are the BEST.

I am hoping a new pair will be under the tree for me this Christmas. Babs
Old Aug 28, 2003, 10:47 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
My BIG question about the Sony NC-11's:

I'm a "side" sleeper, so have always been put off by the large Bose sets. Do the earbuds of the NC-11 fit well enough into your ear that you can lie comfortably on your side with an ear to the pillow??

------------------
"There are those who travel, and those who travel well."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.