Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Is it legal for a U.S. citizen to receive/use diplomatic passport of another country?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is it legal for a U.S. citizen to receive/use diplomatic passport of another country?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2005, 11:35 am
sundriedmilk

Question Is it legal for a U.S. citizen to receive/use diplomatic passport of another country?

Is it legal for a U.S. citizen to receive/use diplomatic passport of another country? (not for entering/exiting the USA)

Here's the situation:

My friend was born in the USA while his parents were sent here to work in a company. After he was born, the parents applied and received U.S. passport. When the parents were transferred back to the home country, he went back with them. At this time, he also automatically received the home country's passport.

Fast-foward to present day. His parents work for the home country's gov't and are now sent to a third country as diplomats. They obviously are using the home country gov't issued diplomatic passports. Since my friend is still in college, at age 19, he was also automatically issued a dependent diplomatic passport.

Now my friend have both a US passport and a foreign diplomatic passport.

Obviously wheneve he travels back to the USA, he uses his US passport. (but he does carry both passports with him most of the time) However, when he goes to visit his parents in that third country, he presents his diplomatic passport.

Does the possession of the foreign diplomatic passport put him at any danger as far as his U.S. citizenship is concerned? This may be a moot issue in a couple of years, as his status for dependent diplomatic passort expires when he reaces the age of 21. However, this does not change the fact that at one time he did have a foreign diplomatic passport.

Any information appreciated.

Old Nov 9, 2005, 2:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, HH Gold, dirt loads of places.
The default is, he doesn't lose his US citizenship unless he expresses a wish to do so.

That said, certain positions imply that wish (eg being appointed Brig Gen in another country's army). However, so long as only his parents hold a role, & he's just along for the ride, then I wouldn't think that would be a problem.
Old Nov 9, 2005, 3:00 pm

Programs: LH and BA
In general he would loose citizenship... there is some fine print on th passport application form on that...
but as chartreused said, its not him having the job. BUT he is legally an adult nad he is the one officially applying for it... so he is at risk
Old Nov 9, 2005, 3:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, HH Gold, dirt loads of places.
Originally Posted by roundtheworld
In general he would loose citizenship... there is some fine print on th passport application form on that...
but as chartreused said, its not him having the job. BUT he is legally an adult nad he is the one officially applying for it... so he is at risk
Sorry, what exactly is he applying for?
US law is clear, outside certain acts, one can't lose one's citizenship by accident.
Old Nov 9, 2005, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No roundtheworld, again you are wrong in these matters. This kid himself is NOT serving another country in a political or military role, so he has nothing at all to lose. For that matter when mandatory conscription is practised by a country that a US citizen has dual citizenship with it does NOT effect ones US citizenship when performed in most countries, for that matter one CAN serve as an official in a foreign government as long as approval is given by either the state or defense depts. beforehand (as can be evidenced by literally dozens of Eastern European diplomats and military personnel who have dual citizenship).
Old Nov 10, 2005, 12:04 am

btw, passports are merely travel documents. It doesn't really matter how many you collect from different countries, because in the end, you're only going to show one of them at immigration. As for the diplomatic tinge, hfly explained it pretty well.
Old Nov 10, 2005, 6:09 am

I'm a dual, and carry two passports. If one is official or diplomatic, citizenship is not forefeit from the other.

M8

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.