Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA Today: Cell Phones on Flights in 2006

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2003, 6:22 am
Original Poster

USA Today: Cell Phones on Flights in 2006

The day that cell phones are allowed to be used throughout flight, I will finally stop flying. I find it is the loud, the arrogant, the insecure, that feel the world cannot live without them and therefore, must be in touch constantly with idle chatter, believe me business goes on without any one person. I have a successful career with a large staff and a wonderful family and eveyone knows if I am flying, it is my only place for solace and therefore I am unreachable. I'd rather see smoking return to flights (as a non-smoker) than allow cell phone use and have to hear constant noise. Perhpas they can make non-phone flights. Anyone disagree or agree?
Old Jul 16, 2003, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K - 2MM, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
That is bad. The airplanes will sound like a bus now. At least FFers can get away from business for a little while. Once cell phones are accessible in the air, flying will really be a pain. I really don't want to hear other people's business being shouted into their phones when I am trying to relax after a long week.
Old Jul 16, 2003, 9:09 am

I agree. If there is anything I can't stand is to hear someone talking loud on a cellphone. Even worse on an airplane where you can't move away from that obnoxious person. Can you imagine what would happen if that person next to you started yakking away on a night flight. What could be done about it if that person ignored all the stares and protests? I would tell him or her to go to the space next to the lavatory to do their talking. I think the airlines should prohibit their use while in flight, except in emergencies and then with the approval of the flight attendant.
Old Jul 16, 2003, 9:21 am
Suspended

Programs: ANA PLAT,CI GOLD,LH SEN,Hyatt Gold.
I sat in the lounge at AMS last week and had to listen to a guy telling everyone on his phone list where he was, where he was going, when he was coming back etc etc. He must have spent about an hour doing this much to the annoyance of everyone around him. Has he not heard of email ? I felt like sticking his phone where the sun dont shine
Old Jul 16, 2003, 10:12 am

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by 1director:
I find it is the loud, the arrogant, the insecure, that feel the world cannot live without them and therefore, must be in touch constantly with idle chatter, believe me business goes on without any one person. I have a successful career with a large staff and a wonderful family and eveyone knows if I am flying, it is my only place for solace and therefore I am unreachable. </font>
Indeed. There are very, very few people in this world that truly need to have instant contact with anybody at anytime. If you are flying on a commerical airline flight, you are *not* one of those people.

Old Jul 16, 2003, 4:42 pm

I thought cell phones interfered with the navigational system on the plane. Seriously, a pilot once told the whole plane that their on-board phones have shielded cables and thus do not interfere unlike standard cell phones. Perhaps this was just BS. Anyone know the truth (not personal opinion)?
Old Jul 16, 2003, 5:16 pm

I'm sorry to be vague, but I recall hearing about a flight (I think it was Swiss) in the past year or so where a cell phone was said to interfere with the navigation system.
Old Jul 16, 2003, 5:31 pm

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by WatFallet:
I thought cell phones interfered with the navigational system on the plane. Seriously, a pilot once told the whole plane that their on-board phones have shielded cables and thus do not interfere unlike standard cell phones. Perhaps this was just BS. Anyone know the truth (not personal opinion)?</font>
There has been annecdoatal evidence of interference..Either with navigation or communication. I've *heard* reports of pilots hearing conversations from on-board cell phones. Somehow, the signals bleed into the wires.
Old Jul 16, 2003, 11:20 pm

Total prohibition seems so much easier than creating a new system ("phone/no phone" sections) or dealing with the inevitable conflicts that would arise.

I don't know how I would react if I were seated next to one of those nonstop jabberers who ignored a polite request for peace & quiet. In similar situations I've considered fighting fire with fire--to just start talking out loud to myself about a really inane or embarrassing topic. Perhaps not the best approach in a confined space, though.
Old Jul 17, 2003, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
I'm amazing by the people who use their cell phones the instant it is allowed after a landing. The long taxi at DFW can be miserable with people yelling on the telephones.

What would I do if seated next to a talker on a night flight? Not a clue in the world!

What will happen to us all?
Old Jul 17, 2003, 12:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RobotDoctor:
That is bad. The airplanes will sound like a bus now.</font>
Actually on New York MTA buses, it's a rare occasion to find a loudmouth on his or her cell phone.
Old Jul 17, 2003, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Like I say, it's the people talking loudly that is the problem, not the phones.

Two people having a loud, personal, annoying, etc. conversation in person isn't any better than someone doing that over a cell phone.

I think the real thing here is that we need less bans on stuff and more people with good etiquette.

d
Old Jul 17, 2003, 9:24 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Please also see:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum...ML/006775.html
Old Jul 17, 2003, 9:44 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
I would echo 1director's thoughts exactly!

------------------
"I just wanna wish you good luck, we're all counting on you"
-Dr. Rumack

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.