Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Sign in using an external account

Old Apr 26, 03, 10:13 am   #1

How Many Days of Clothes do you bring?

I'm Leaving on my 12-day honeymoon trip to Europe Sunday (4/27) evening. How many days worth of clothes should I bring? I don't want to lug around clothes for everyday.

Do most nice hotels in Europe (Portugal, Spain in my case) have laundry service?
spike74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 03, 10:29 am   #2

Congratulations! You'll have a wonderful time in Iberia. For a 12 day trip, I would take 3 pairs of pants, 4-5 tops, and 2-3 pairs of shoes (I'm female). Take a travel-sized bottle of Febreze with you and you'd be amazed how often you can re-wear something with no problem. You can always wash out socks and underwear in the sink, but I'll confess I tend to pack a ton of both. A 4 star hotel should have some kind of laundry service, but even if your hotel doesn't they can always hook you up with someone locally. I suspect that once you're actually on the trip, laundry will be your least concern. Enjoy!
warmsnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 03, 10:58 am   #3

I second the motion for clothes-freshening sprays - they really help! Febreze is OK but I prefer a product called Quick Fresh by McNett - as it is unscented.
freshair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 03, 1:04 pm   #4

Programs: UA
Combinations! Bring stuff you can combine, like a nice skirt that can be worn casually during the day or with a special top in the evening to a fine dinner.

Its easier to pack for guys.... black pants go a long way!

Put clothes on a hanger and put them directly next to the shower, so that they get all the steam and maybe some drops of water, let them hang in the shower for a bit after you showered, then hang them on the balcony that they dry in the wind. Like new and no chemicals on the skin.
Daydream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 03, 11:51 pm   #5

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
when I travel, I pack enough clothes for every single day of the trip. The longest trips I have been taking the past year and a half at 10 days. So, I pack enough for 10 days. At least 10 of everyhting, except pants. Doing wash myself is not possible or practical, and having it done is insanely expensive (or is a slight hassle)
Old Apr 27, 03, 11:58 pm   #6

Programs: AA Platinum and a Disgruntled UA 2MM 1K
Nearly all hotels in Europe have in house/out house laundry (they pickup/deliver, etc), in smaller towns or on weekends you may NOT have access to dry cleaning though. So again, some fabreze and an steamer/steam iron can sort out most things.

Now that I carry both I take clothes for half the days I'm travelling. If I get laundry/dry cleaning (that isn't a rip off that's a bonus)

Also suggestion NOT to take anything you think you may only wear once (exception to workout clothes, beachwear, and ONE formal outfit!) You will find that taking such items normally results in not wearing it even once.
NickP 1K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 03, 1:01 am   #7

Don't forget at least one day's worth of clothes packed in your carry-on. Airlines may send your baggage elsewhere for a day or two so just be prepared. Pack both people's clothes in each suitcase too. I learned the hard way.
Old Apr 28, 03, 1:51 am   #8

Where x is the number of days of the trip, I use the following formulae:

(short trips, up to 4 days): x+1 days of clothes, just in case
(medium trips - 5-7 days): x days of clothing
(long trips - 8 days or more: usually, 6-7 days, and find a laundry somewhere along the way.

Mike
Old Apr 28, 03, 7:20 am   #9

Programs: HHonors Silver
My wife and I have successfully done several 10-day to 2-week trips to Europe using carry-on luggage only. Typically I pack 2 pairs of trousers (plus the one I'm wearing) and 4-5 shirts (plus the one I'm wearing). I have travel socks that dry out overnight after they've been washed in the sink. I pack underwear for a fresh set daily - I don't wear an undershirt.
pdhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 03, 8:32 am   #10
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.6 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
I repeated this on my trip earlier this month: for underwear and socks etc., pack your most worn-out (but still usable) items, and, after wearing, simply dispose of the items. It's surprising how bulky multiple days' worth of these items can be in the suitcase.

Old Apr 28, 03, 8:39 am   #11
Senior Moderator & Moderator, United MileagePlus

Programs: UA MM 1K; Fairmont & Starwood platinum; Hyatt diamond; Kimpton IC Elite
I suppose it depends on what your goal is. I hate lugging around suitcases and aim to pack as light as possible.

I also have successfully lived out of a carry-on for month-long trips. I just returned from a 10-day trip and brought three outfits (and I still came home with clothes that I didn't wear at all).

I bring different accessories - jewelry, scarves, belts, etc. - to make my outfits look different and to dress them up or down. I also try to dress around one color - black - so that I don't need to bring a lot of extra shoes. I've purchased a lot of travel clothes that don't wrinkle. There are some threads in the women's forum about these. Many like Chico's; I've bought mine from Boston Proper.

l'etoile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 03, 8:39 am   #12
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by pdhenry:
My wife and I have successfully done several 10-day to 2-week trips to Europe using carry-on luggage only. </font>
Ditto, except I also use Ex-Officio underwear which can also be washed out in the sink and dried overnight. Gotta love those Tilly socks as well.

I also take two pairs of shoes. One formal, one for walking around.
Old Apr 28, 03, 10:34 am   #13
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AA Plat, A/Plat IHG, Hyatt Plat, CC Gold
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jsmeeker:
when I travel, I pack enough clothes for every single day of the trip.</font>
are you male or female?

I bring one walking pair/one dress pair of shoes.

A blazer always adds the dress factor if I need it. I hang it up or fold it on the plane so no dry cleaning.

I've always traveled light, now I'm proud to say my wife is usually down to one carry on for long weekends. It used to be two checkin bags. Her largest complaint on packing light is her lack of Shoes she can bring with (how surprising )
Sweet Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 03, 11:56 am   #14

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Sweet Willie:
are you male or female?

</font>

A guy. Seriously. Also, this is for busines trips (with a weekend in between). I won't pack one pair of pants for each day, but I'll only wear a pair twice (obviouslly, I wear pants the day I fly out). Other than that, its at least on of everything. One pair of underwear, socks, shirt for each day. Plus a pair of jeans, a pair of shorts, a swimsuit. I may wear more than one thing on Saturday (something for the day, something for the night).

And getting clothes washed is not practical or cost effective. Sure, I could take pants and shirts to the cleaners. But using the hotel is way, way, way too expensive. And there is no possible way I am washing underwear and socks in the sink. No way. And I'm not going to do it a a laundramat on the weekends either.

I like to travel light. I pack what I need, nothing more. But for 10 day trips, I don't see how I could possibly do it by carrying on.

[This message has been edited by jsmeeker (edited 04-28-2003).]
Old Apr 28, 03, 4:26 pm   #15
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.8 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
I can do 2 weeks with a carry on size bag. (although I usually check my bag) I do a lot of washing out. I hate my luggage after about 24 hours of traveling and never take an ounce more than I can handle on my own. I pick a base color and stick with it. These days mostly navy blue. I add contrasting tops and scarves. I don't wear a blazer or a jacket as I find them too confining. I carry on an emergency set of clothes and underwear and all essential medicines. I would never think of carrying along a change for every single day. I prefer Downy Wrinkle Remover to Fabreeze.
oldpenny16 is offline   Reply With Quote