Dog Poo in the streets of Paris

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dog Poo in the streets of Paris

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2003, 2:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF FB Platinum For Life (F+ Rouge Vintage®) / Hertz President's Circle / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Sweet Willie:
How is the action demeaning?</font>
Indeed - I got a real kick out of watching the officers write up the tickets, so did everyone else, I think, including the officers (excluding, of course, the offending dog owners).
Old Apr 5, 2003, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF FB Platinum For Life (F+ Rouge Vintage®) / Hertz President's Circle / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Basically, the unwritten rule goes if your dog poops below the waterline, like so it gets washed away with the next wave, you don't have to pick it up, but if you leave it anywhere else, like you're too good to pick it up, forget the spotters, others will come over and firmly say, "if you need a bag, I have an extra."

Obviously, the key is to train your dog to poop in the waterline. This is not only very nice, but it brings impressive ravs and comments from other dog owners who wish they could be like you.</font>
Talk about "cultural differences"! I guess this "very nice" skill acquired by some Southern California dogs is great for dog owners who don't want to clean up after their dogs, but I sincerely doubt it brings "impressive ravs and comments" from swimmers, surfers, beachcombers and parents who let their kids swim in this doggie tidal toilet.

Note to self: avoid swimming at Huntington Beach between low tide and high tide - you may catch more than just a wave.
Old Apr 5, 2003, 8:43 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Vienna is another dog loving city, and one that also suffers from dog sh!t problems. Try walking around in the 7th district...
Old Apr 5, 2003, 11:09 am
DEK

Ah yes...my first time in Paris I wasn't aware of this particular "cultural difference" and of course I had my first "foot baptism in dog poo" upon stepping out onto the sidewalk in front of the place where I was staying. In subsequent visits I've learned to walk with my eyes glued to the sidewalk, however being color blind I still do occasionally have "accidents" since some things tend to blend in with others, in my eyes, and I'll end up with another "foot baptism"!
Old Apr 5, 2003, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA MM1K,AA EXP
Lately, the powers that be have installed little machines that dispense black plastic bags that say "I love my neighborhood;I clean up". Meant to take a picture of the one across from Dehilleran on the ramp into Les Halles, but I didn't have the camera with me. Next time. And it does seem to be getting cleaner.
Old Apr 5, 2003, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold,HH Gold
My original post was a little misleading. I meant to say Poo on the sidewalks but everyone probably assumed that anyway. I was in Paris in August 2002. If the situation is getting better, I would hate to have imagined what it was like before. I am the last to knock any country for cultural differences but I believe this as a sanitary(hygenic) issue more than anything else. Especially in the summer.
Old Apr 5, 2003, 6:02 pm

I have seen the crap everywhere on the sidewalks, in the street at the door entrances and it does not bother me. What is the beef!
Old Apr 5, 2003, 9:06 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by joeinnewengland:
I have seen the crap everywhere on the sidewalks, in the street at the door entrances and it does not bother me. What is the beef!</font>
How I wish I had you as a neighbor, no picking up after my dog!
Old Apr 5, 2003, 11:13 pm

Programs: Westjet Platinum, Fairmont Platinum RIP, Accor Gold, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HH Diamond
Not sure if this is fact or fiction, but I heard of a community here in North America that had a problem with people not picking up after their dogs. The city ended up spraying the "presents" with some kind of peanut butter solution, intended to attract dogs to do the inevitable. Dog owners wised up quickly when they realized that the same tongue that licked their faces licked ....
Old Apr 6, 2003, 10:41 am

the problem is that one must be extra careful not to step in it. It truly is very selfish of one person with a dog to refuse to pick up after its own mess and force the entire city to step gingerly to avoid the landmines. Its mindboggling that a city that spawnded some of the world's greatest thinkers and artists has poop everwhere. I have managed to step in some on every trip to Paris so far, once jsut a few blocks from the Louvre.

I think people who want to excuse this behaviour as a cultural difference may have a point.
Old Apr 6, 2003, 8:51 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Arthurrs:
Not sure if this is fact or fiction, but I heard of a community here in North America that had a problem with people not picking up after their dogs. The city ended up spraying the "presents" with some kind of peanut butter solution, intended to attract dogs to do the inevitable. Dog owners wised up quickly when they realized that the same tongue that licked their faces licked .... </font>
Sounds like an urban legend... but heck, that would surely work!!!
Old Apr 7, 2003, 2:49 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
I have noticed that the dog poo problem is less in some arrondisements than others. I found myself ditching the dog sh****te in the 16th much more than say the 6th. Perhaps someone local can do a comparative study.

My brother, calls his rolling duffle bag the international dog poo collector. Yuckky, but true.

Kind of makes me want to wear slippers around my hotel room in Paris.

lala
Old Apr 8, 2003, 9:35 pm

Paris should be renamed Poo-ris. I heard some years ago that at least 500lbs of poop is picked up daily in Paris. If you are going to own a dog, know that it is going to "drop the brown" so be prepared to pick it up. What is with folks?
Old May 5, 2003, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold,HH Gold
Some links I have found.....

http://www.dog-diaper.com/data.htm

http://www.guardian.co.uk/Print/0,3858,4392825,00.html

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/...333482442.html

My friend over there says it doesn't seem to be getting any better yet.
Old May 5, 2003, 5:30 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by lalala:
Kind of makes me want to wear slippers around my hotel room in Paris.</font>
One habit I have picked up from my sojourn in Asia is to remove shoes immediately upon entering even a hotel room, and cringe whenever a visitor does not do so.

Slippers are a must on any hotel carpet, IMO. I carry a pair of disposable ultrathin airline slippers on every trip, in case the hotel does not provide any.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.