Reload this Page >

Cheap Hotels in Spain?

Cheap Hotels in Spain?

Old Mar 13, 2002, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Cheap Hotels in Spain?

Barcelona April 14-16
Sevilla either April 16-19, or on May 1-4, and Madrid May 4-6

I'm having trouble finding what I consider good rates as I am a student travelling about for a month. Some sort of gusthouse is adequate or a 1 or 2 star hotel in good location. Hopefully about 50 EURO.. any help?? thanks
Old Mar 14, 2002, 10:34 pm

Dominick, I just finished getting reservations set for Spain in August, so I think I can help a bit. Start with www.frommers.com They have good reliable info--I've used them in other places (Paris, Brussels) and was always very pleased. I used them to book a place in Barcelona for $27 US a night for this August.

Also check out www.madridman.com He has quite a bit of information focusing on Madrid, and also has a talk board similar to this one.

Hostelling international has a web site you should be able to track down. They usually offer rooms at $12 - $15 a night, but cleanliness can be spotty.

I looked into some university housing, but my length of stay was too short--I think they want people that would be there at least a week or more. The website with a list is at www.barcelonaturisme.com/turisme/exp/ing/ap05-9.htm

I've got a couple of nights reserved on the coast away from the big cities, and comparable rooms are going for 25-50% less than in Barcelona. You might look at a map, see what's appealing, and poke around on-line.

Finally, give some of the general sites like yahoo travel, expedia, and orbitz a try. I'm splurging my last nights, and saved $50 a night on a very nice room in Barcelona via expedia, vs. the hotel's own web site.

Good luck, and have a great trip!

JP

[This message has been edited by j379pa (edited 03-14-2002).]
Old Mar 14, 2002, 11:12 pm

How about Priceline.com? They do cover Madrid and Barcelona.
Old Mar 16, 2002, 7:40 am

A friend just put me onto one more organization you might want to contact. Servas (www.servas.org) is an international organization. If you are 18 or older, you can apply to be a traveller or a host. Pass muster (I think you are interviewed), you can stay in private homes for 2 nights at a time at no charge (is that cheap enough?). The hope is that you'll also register as a host, and offer the same hospitality to other travellers.

Having stayed in B&B's on occasion overseas, there are wonderful advantages to staying with a private or semi-private home, along with a few drawbacks.

It's an old and well-respected organization. The web site is a little clunky and takes some patience, but there is some good information there (and they do have sites in Spain!).

JP
Old Mar 18, 2002, 9:49 am
Original Poster

Yongs- thanks, I've already tried up 65USD for 3*, but nothing

J397pa- can you book online with frommers? I cant seem to. I'll also look into that servas.org website. Thanks
Old Mar 18, 2002, 8:32 pm

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
If you have the time you might try to stay in Toledo. We enjoyed it more than other popular locations. See http://www.swopnet.com/2000_spain_vacation.html

------------------
Middle_Seat
Old Mar 19, 2002, 9:12 am

You can't book on-line with frommers, but I think some will list a web site or e-mail. If not, a little search on-line will usually turn up a way to contact the hotel.

I've found a number of on-line booking agents doing these searches. Some, like inter-hotel, charge a booking fee, so be careful. At the same time, they may also offer enough of a discount on the property to offset the fee.

Hostel Levant is one in Barcelona that Frommer's likes that has very low rates. You can visit their site at http://www.hostallevante.com/eng/index.htm

JP
Old Mar 25, 2002, 8:24 pm

I reckon your best bet is www.bancotel.com . You can get some really good deals for 1 cheque (c. 50 euros) per night, excluding local taxes (which I think are generally around 10%). If you search his site you'll find that Madridman has some useful threads on the system, all of which give Bancotel glowing reviews.
Old Mar 27, 2003, 9:33 am

try lastminute.com or clickinternational.com for hotel rates cheaper than US sites.
Old Mar 27, 2003, 11:06 am
At Large

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Yongs:
How about Priceline.com? They do cover Madrid and Barcelona.</font>
I just booked the Westin Palace in Madrid via pricelin.com for next week and got a rate of $100US a night for a five star hotel,that shows rates in Starwood of well over 200 euros corporate rate for the same dates.
Old Mar 27, 2003, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Try solmelia.com (or is it meliasol.com?) This chain has good quality hotels in all the major cities, and I found the prices to be lower than any of the other 20 website I checked. For example, I paid $76 for a huge 4* room in Madrid last November.

What is your price range? I spent one night in a $40 Madrid hotel (listed in frommers) that was clean and quiet, and I would also recommend the Hotel Linda in Marbella, which goes for $30-40/night.
Old Mar 27, 2003, 12:40 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
I stayed at the Madrid Airport Barajas Best Western for about 60 euros. Nothing special but it's 3 blocks from the subway, the rate included breakfast and there was a free shuttle to/from the airport. Reasonably clean place too. Booked on orbitz.com

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.