Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WHY should anyone have 2 passports?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2011, 9:01 am

Programs: LH SEN, Priorityclub Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by jbcarioca
[...] Brazil even accepts Brazilians entering the country on a foreign passport so long as they have their national identity card. [...]
Hi,
just to follow-up on this topic. Since I have two different passports (DE & PL – both with two different names on it; one Polish version and one German) and my wife has two as well (BR & DE) our daughter got all three of them :-)
However, we were very strongly advised by the Brazilian embassy that both my wife and our daughter have to always enter Brazil using their BR passports. I'm aware that it's not always enforced at the border, however I would not count on this. I couldn't find an English source for it, but here e.g. the Portuguese one: "Se vocę possui a nacionalidade xxx e brasileira, năo se esqueça que deverá sempre entrar e sair do território brasileiro apresentando seu passaporte brasileiro (e năo o passaporte xxx)."
You will find this wording on nearly all Brazilian embassy sites.
Jakob
Old Jul 20, 2011, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jaburu
Hi,
just to follow-up on this topic. Since I have two different passports (DE & PL – both with two different names on it; one Polish version and one German) and my wife has two as well (BR & DE) our daughter got all three of them :-)
However, we were very strongly advised by the Brazilian embassy that both my wife and our daughter have to always enter Brazil using their BR passports. I'm aware that it's not always enforced at the border, however I would not count on this. I couldn't find an English source for it, but here e.g. the Portuguese one: "Se vocę possui a nacionalidade xxx e brasileira, năo se esqueça que deverá sempre entrar e sair do território brasileiro apresentando seu passaporte brasileiro (e năo o passaporte xxx)."
You will find this wording on nearly all Brazilian embassy sites.
Jakob
I think most countries say that as a citizen of a country you are entering, you should enter on your passport for that country.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 9:20 am

Programs: AA,DL,BA,UA,SPG, and any other free trip!
2 passports

2 passports? hehee the New Zealand authorities reported that they found one of the quake victims with 5 passports on him....He was an Israeli citizen though, so this mightve been part of a spy ring?
Old Jul 20, 2011, 11:07 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by mrx900
2 passports? hehee the New Zealand authorities reported that they found one of the quake victims with 5 passports on him....He was an Israeli citizen though, so this mightve been part of a spy ring?
Not necessarily, it depends what other citizenships they hold. Israeli citizenship is not too hard to obtain if you're Jewish. If that person emigrated from ex-USSR they have at least one, maybe two passports. It's possible that they then emigrated from Israel to New Zealand getting another passport (now we're up to 4). It's not inconceivable, but would be rare and weird.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 4:29 pm

Programs: NZ, EK, QF, SQ.
Originally Posted by mrx900
NZ Prime Minister had just announced that this person was not part of a spy ring.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 4:36 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by emma69
I think most countries say that as a citizen of a country you are entering, you should enter on your passport for that country.
I followed that advice recently: entering Canada using my Canadian passport and reentering the US using my US passport.

Originally Posted by Palal
Israeli citizenship is not too hard to obtain if you're Jewish.
But they would have to immigrate ("return") to Israel first.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 5:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

RNE, so what?
Old Jul 21, 2011, 5:18 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Originally Posted by emma69
Do they? I actually always thought the opposite was true (in other words no such requirement existed in most countries).
Old Jul 21, 2011, 3:34 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by hfly
RNE, so what?
I am a United States citizen because I was born in the United States. Jus soli (right of soil). I am a Canadian citizen because my mother was born there. Jus sanguinis (right of blood). Citizenship, regardless of the country, has eligibility requirements that must first be met. That's my point.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And ISrael has a different system, your point is?
Old Jul 21, 2011, 4:07 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by Palal
...Israeli citizenship is not too hard to obtain if you're Jewish....
And Israel has a different system, your point is?
Regardless of the country, "not too hard" can be a matter of opinion. It took me 14 months, about $150 and three tries to successfully document my Canadian citizenship. In contract, my US citizenship was documented the day after my birth. If you're sincerely curious about this, perhaps you should ask Palal what s/he meant.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 11:59 am

And ISrael has a different system, your point is?
The point is that in order for the citizenship to be recognised, it should be documented first. Those who land in Israel and want to be recognised as Israeli citizens must show some papers that prove their Jewish ancestry. The concept of having your citizenship recognised first applies to pretty much every country in the world. Nothing special about Israel.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 1:16 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by tinkybelle
I may probably get flamed for this but I need to pose the question.
In this day of the 21st century-WHY is anyone allowed to have 2 passports.
2 identities with which to cavort the world?
I was asked to book a flight for someone this week.
This person has just come back to me to ask to change the name on the ticket as they need a visa for the country to which they are travelling and dont have the time so they need to change the name on the ticket to suit the other passport which they possess.
This is not on!!!
if they need the visa -then they need the visa.
so they slip through the net cause they have another identity?????
I have one passport.
If I need a visa I obtain one.
if I dont get entry-I dont go.
this should be the norm.
Am I missing something here??????
Sorry for resurrecting this old thread but I have a situation like this.

I made a booking for me and my mum with Asia Miles from HKG to DPS. Our Asia Miles accounts were created way back when used our Australian passport names and my mother was naturalised with her married name.

Only after booking did it occur to me mum will need a VOA for Indonesia if we are presenting Australian passports. We legally have HKSAR passports (we are born Chinese and China permits dual nationality for Hong Kong residents) and we will enjoy visa waiver if we use those. Unfortunately the name on that passport follows HK norms i.e. women must use their maiden names.

On ticketing I mentioned this to the Asia Miles agent. I have previously filed a second name notification to Asia Miles with mum's HKSAR passport attached, although I thought that was only for earn not redemption purposes. I was pleasantly surprised when the agent informed me "we can issue the ticket in your mum's HKSAR passport name"
Old Apr 14, 2015, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by percysmith
Sorry for resurrecting this old thread but I have a situation like this.

I made a booking for me and my mum with Asia Miles from HKG to DPS. Our Asia Miles accounts were created way back when used our Australian passport names and my mother was naturalised with her married name.

Only after booking did it occur to me mum will need a VOA for Indonesia if we are presenting Australian passports. We legally have HKSAR passports (we are born Chinese and China permits dual nationality for Hong Kong residents) and we will enjoy visa waiver if we use those. Unfortunately the name on that passport follows HK norms i.e. women must use their maiden names.

On ticketing I mentioned this to the Asia Miles agent. I have previously filed a second name notification to Asia Miles with mum's HKSAR passport attached, although I thought that was only for earn not redemption purposes. I was pleasantly surprised when the agent informed me "we can issue the ticket in your mum's HKSAR passport name"
If there is one airline that understand having a HK SAR passport plus another one it would be CX. They are also flexible with the HK married maiden name not matching another name in another passport issue.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 6:15 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
tentseller: probably. But if CX/Asia Miles was inflexible I'd reluctantly march my mum to VOA rather than try and do something about the ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.